GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,565 Posts
I keep reading stuff like that on packages of light bulbs I buy for my house but I sure change them out a lot.…. I’ll just leave it at that.
I hear you..the LED bulbs in my house don't seem to last any longer than the old fashion bulbs we been using all our lives..maybe its cheap bulbs Im buying I dont know, but I expected more from the LED bulbs Ive used in my house and I'm not impressed with the longevity with the examples I've used.

·
Registered
655 Posts
It's not serviceable so I would expect that to be covered by the warranty. My Durango has LED taillights that cost over a thousand dollars, but since they're not serviceable they are covered by the OEM and now MOPAR extended warranty.

FYI, the Goldwing headlight is a sealed unit and the only option is to buy a new one and install it yourself for over $1,800 (or add a couple of hundred for labor to have the shop do it for you).
[/Q

·
Registered
655 Posts
It's not serviceable so I would expect that to be covered by the warranty. My Durango has LED taillights that cost over a thousand dollars, but since they're not serviceable they are covered by the OEM and now MOPAR extended warranty.

FYI, the Goldwing headlight is a sealed unit and the only option is to buy a new one and install it yourself for over $1,800 (or add a couple of hundred for labor to have the shop do it for you).
Like my Snap On tool dealer would say when I said that about a tool, what a deal for such high quality.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I keep reading stuff like that on packages of light bulbs I buy for my house but I sure change them out a lot.…. I’ll just leave it at that.
Apples to Oranges! House LED bulbs are typically replacements for incandescent bulbs. The motoring LED's have heat-sink capabilities designed into the bulb fixture base, whereas the home units do not. Let's hope we all ride long enough to burn out one of these bad boys!

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Apples to Oranges! House LED bulbs are typically replacements for incandescent bulbs. The motoring LED's have heat-sink capabilities designed into the bulb fixture base, whereas the home units do not. Let's hope we all ride long enough to burn out one of these bad boys!
No dispute here, each do have their own unique requirements. House bulbs do not have to be designed to deal with extreme weather changes, and vibration that is seen in the automotive environment. And purpose built automotive fixtures do give the manufacturer more flexibility to design to those requirements. They are different but their claims of longevity are similar. In theory LED lights will last forever, but thier supporting components will not. It is the failure of these components that render the light useless.

I am a early adopter of LED lighting, both home and automotive. They have proven to be extremely reliable, but they do fail. Claims of lifetime and 100,000 hours on early packaging has been replaced with more realistic claims. Some of the motion activated flood lights I put up over twenty years ago are still operational. But as I stated in a earlier post, there have also been a lot of failures. I went through my house after seeing this thread and took inventory of my lighting, currently out of 130 LED bulbs 3 was out. Had a similar amount out when last checked a few months ago. Not bad, but proof they do fail.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
MRcycles list the assy. for about $1500. Still high, but better than $2k!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
None of the current owners of the 2018+ Goldwings should have anything to worry about.

LED headlamp certainly lasts a long, long time and if it does fail, it's a warranty item, so "no worries".

However, 10 or 12 years from now, the 2nd or 3rd owner who buys your Wing (out of warranty) may be in for a big surprise.

Hopefully, by 2030 some clever entrepreneur will offer a kit to convert the Goldwing LED headlamp to a Sylvania H7. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Is your headlight out or are you buying one in anticipation that it will go out? I doubt that price will be in effect when the headlight goes out in 15 years.
I like to have spares on hand... 🤪

..ha-ha, just kidding. I didn't do a survey, but it's always a good idea to bookmark sites that have the potential to offer big savings in case I ever need them.

PS - I was going to hondapartshouse.com and now I see they are just absurdly overpriced for everything. For example, they list the saddlebag covers at just shy of $700 vs. MRCycle's price of $420. At first I thought maybe HPH was in Canada and that would explain the cost but they are in Michigan. Goodby goes their bookmark. Hello MRC!

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
54 Posts
Interesting topic. That was my concern too, after getting the bike. That question just came into me after seeing an older GW with a bit of condensation in his headlight. When I went to the dealer to buy some maint. parts, I did ask the salesman. As most said, it is covered under warranty and all of them. all around. However, the dealer does check for any go through cracks in the lens for stones or whatever comes in contact. Honda could deny coverage !!!!!! If any LED housing has unusual stress cracks, it might not be covered. .

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
None of the current owners of the 2018+ Goldwings should have anything to worry about.

LED headlamp certainly lasts a long, long time and if it does fail, it's a warranty item, so "no worries".

However, 10 or 12 years from now, the 2nd or 3rd owner who buys your Wing (out of warranty) may be in for a big surprise.

Hopefully, by 2030 some clever entrepreneur will offer a kit to convert the Goldwing LED headlamp to a Sylvania H7. :)
I wouldn't say " none " . Some of these owner will still own their motorcycles beyond the warranty/ extended warranty period.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The only down side I can see to a LED headlight.
What are you going to do if it stops working. when your riding at night in the rain? (Pitch Black out) o_O

Murphy's law follows me around. 😖

·
Registered
319 Posts
Not at an exact comparison but I run LED lighting over my Saltwater aquarium. Last year I replaced the LED clusters they had come on and ramped up in intensity and back down for a little over 8 years 10 hours a day every day. I have no worries about my head lamp having a long life.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,695 Posts
I hear you..the LED bulbs in my house don't seem to last any longer than the old fashion bulbs we been using all our lives..maybe its cheap bulbs Im buying I dont know, but I expected more from the LED bulbs Ive used in my house and I'm not impressed with the longevity with the examples I've used.
The LED bulbs are lasting perfectly fine; it's the AC/DC converter to power the bulb that dies. That's not an issue in automotive applications and why LED bulbs in cars/motorcycles last forever.

Reactions: Pappy35 and Roadie

·
Registered
126 Posts
guys this was great to hear all the comments and theory's but i really suggest dealer check it out. reason i say this there are many nodes being directed into reflectors in that headlight and for all of them to go out is highly unlikely. it is possible they put a remote led driver on bike or its on the back of the headlight or close also it could even be a bad solder joint. on the board.
im only a guy with 40 yrs in the lighting industry and i have chased many led ghost 9 out of 10 times the led driver

·
Registered
72 Posts
So, would the Goldwing be 4k cheaper with old fashioned bulbs?
Nope. If you were to build a GW by purchasing all of the parts from a dealer, the total cost of the bike would be well over twice as much as a new bike. Parts prices include additional overhead (stocking, distribution, etc.) and profit (parts are a significant profit center for all OE's), so you can't make a meaningful "would it cost $XXX less" comparison.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts