GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's just go with the assumption that I am going to convert my Low Beams (only) to LED - probably with the EC kit. I don't need to hear they are [email protected], and I should use XXX or LEDs are junk and I should stay with OEM. Not the discussion for this thread.

What I am interested in, is what kind of life are users getting out of these LED headlights? I am changing my existing lights about every 8 months, with about three months between sides. I'm hoping to get a lot longer life out of the LEDs.

So, what are you folks seeing for bulb life?

Thanks,

jdg

·
Registered
881 Posts
I've had LEDs in the lows for three years and highs for 1 1/2 years with out any problems. That is about 20,000 miles and on about a thousand on very bad dirt/gravel roads. From my experience and knowledge of LEDs if designed properly they should outlast the bike. Now there is always that odd ball failure but that should be rare.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had LEDs in the lows for three years and highs for 1 1/2 years with out any problems. That is about 20,000 miles and on about a thousand on very bad dirt/gravel roads. From my experience and knowledge of LEDs if designed properly they should outlast the bike. Now there is always that odd ball failure but that should be rare.
Thanks, that's the kind of life I'm hoping for. Anything less than three years and it is not cost effective. I'm not dissatisfied with the OEM lights (I'd always like more illumination at night), but I am getting tired of changing out light bulbs on a regular basis. One less thing to need to carry with me on cross country trips.

jdg

·
Registered
109 Posts
Then you are doing something wrong on the installation or installing crappy sub par filament bulbs. Are you using a heavy duty motorcycle bulb or just an automobile bulb? Yes there is a difference. Are you using an over wattage bulb thinking it is better than OEM? Are you touching the bulb as grease/oil will shorten its’ life? Are you cleaning the bulb with alcohol before installation? Yes, a high quality LED bulb would definitely outperform and outlast a filament bulb. Yes, there are differences between LED quality and heat sink performance. Choose wisely and install correctly. Btw, I changed my 3/4 year old bulbs to LEDs and could not be happier. Brighter and better illumination to be seen in the day as well as seeing at night. I also did the high beams which installation was just as easy and fog lights. Difference is amazing.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
As just mentioned above by Jo... Are you touching the bulbs with your bare hands before installing these burnt out bulbs??

Ronnie

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have EC LED's in the high and low beams and love them. I also do not anticipate ever changing bulbs again on this bike.

Reactions: networkguy3

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
let's just go with the assumption that i am going to convert my low beams (only) to led - probably with the ec kit. I don't need to hear they are [email protected], and i should use xxx or leds are junk and i should stay with oem. Not the discussion for this thread.

What i am interested in, is what kind of life are users getting out of these led headlights? I am changing my existing lights about every 8 months, with about three months between sides. I'm hoping to get a lot longer life out of the leds.

So, what are you folks seeing for bulb life?

Thanks,

jdg
i would also ask about the brightness. Yes led has come a long way on the after market but still not as bright as a hid set. I installed led on my truck they had small fans on each light close but not the same light.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have never changed my OEM bulbs in years!!! What is your machine putting out for voltage? Or +1 on the bulb type and installation technique.
I am including my Goldwing, cbr, NC's, rebel, and ST in not changing bulbs. Aftermarket higher wattage bulbs do burn out faster.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I have never changed my OEM bulbs in years!!! What is your machine putting out for voltage? Or +1 on the bulb type and installation technique.
I am including my Goldwing, cbr, NC's, rebel, and ST in not changing bulbs. Aftermarket higher wattage bulbs do burn out faster.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yes any bulb will last many many years if you don’t use them much.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Then you are doing something wrong on the installation or installing crappy sub par filament bulbs. Are you using a heavy duty motorcycle bulb or just an automobile bulb? Yes there is a difference. Are you using an over wattage bulb thinking it is better than OEM? Are you touching the bulb as grease/oil will shorten its’ life? Are you cleaning the bulb with alcohol before installation? Yes, a high quality LED bulb would definitely outperform and outlast a filament bulb. Yes, there are differences between LED quality and heat sink performance. Choose wisely and install correctly. Btw, I changed my 3/4 year old bulbs to LEDs and could not be happier. Brighter and better illumination to be seen in the day as well as seeing at night. I also did the high beams which installation was just as easy and fog lights. Difference is amazing.
I've been running Halogen lights in and on my vehicles since the 1960s and only made the mistake of handling the bulbs with my bare hands the first time - boy was that an expensive mistake in the 60s!

I wear fresh nitrile gloves when doing the work. Bulbs are Sylvania Silverstar + Winter Whites. Running these same bulbs in my Norge, they last several years - on the Wing? I'm getting about 12,000 miles out of them, or around 5-6 months. Low beams are the only ones I've had to replace.

jdg

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Seems about normal for Silverstars on GL1800.... I think i had every Silverstar made and never heard of the Winter Whites.

Silverstar ZXE lasted about 11k on my 2012. I had them in my 88 for over 30k and sold the bike. I had Silverstar Ultra's in the 88 for a couple of years and those same bulbs are in my '02 Civic now for a couple of years.

2012 Wing seems to have higher average voltage than the 88 did. If i remember right 88 topped out at 13.8v and sucked at idle. This '12 i think stays at 14.5v all the time. I checked it when i first bought the bike.

I had a plain Silverstar in my CB750k for years and that 4cyl has vibration. I have no idea how miles. Years have flown by.

I have OEM back in 2012 and have almost 20k miles on them.

Someday i will get to try the OSRAM Ultra Life with 3X life i bought from powerbulbs.com

It would get old changing bulbs every 5 or 6 months and taking spares along all the time.
I have been packing my spares on long trips just in case the OEM finally quit.

I can see why LED would be tempting for you. I only put on half the miles you do.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been running Halogen lights in and on my vehicles since the 1960s and only made the mistake of handling the bulbs with my bare hands the first time - boy was that an expensive mistake in the 60s!

I wear fresh nitrile gloves when doing the work. Bulbs are Sylvania Silverstar + Winter Whites. Running these same bulbs in my Norge, they last several years - on the Wing? I'm getting about 12,000 miles out of them, or around 5-6 months. Low beams are the only ones I've had to replace.

jdg
Have you read the back page on the box which gives you the hours of use? If I remember correctly, they only claim ~ 100 hours of use. Higher wattage bulbs with thin wires run hot and are short lived. The LEDs are much brighter, have better visibility, use less amperage and last much longer. Make sure to get the LED style that have the LEDs positioned in the same placement as the filament so the light dispersion is reflected similar to OEM filament bulb.

If you want to stay with high wattage filament bulbs, rewire using heavier gauge connected directly to the battery using a relay. This is what I have done in the past 15-20 years ago with great results. But technology has come a long way and LEDs are the future.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you read the back page on the box which gives you the hours of use? If I remember correctly, they only claim ~ 100 hours of use. Higher wattage bulbs with thin wires run hot and are short lived. The LEDs are much brighter, have better visibility, use less amperage and last much longer. Make sure to get the LED style that have the LEDs positioned in the same placement as the filament so the light dispersion is reflected similar to OEM filament bulb.

If you want to stay with high wattage filament bulbs, rewire using heavier gauge connected directly to the battery using a relay. This is what I have done in the past 15-20 years ago with great results. But technology has come a long way and LEDs are the future.
I took a look at the package (have one here on my desk) and it says 250 hours more or less. The also say most users only have them on for 100 hours a year.

Just thinking about that - 250 hours at 45 MPH average is 11,250 miles. Not all that much mileage, but I guess based on that 250 hours, it's about right.

Got the EC setup yesterday, now I just need to install it - maybe today.

jdg

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have both SocalMoto LEDs (low beam) and EC (high beam) Have had the SoCal LEDs for about 2 year and on one of my units, one side of the LEDs had ceased working recently. Called SoCal and because I was out of warranty, they offered me a new set of LEDs at a reduced price. It was a good deal and I now have a new set to use. Will install the one new light for the failed unit and have a spare just in case!

I really like the LED headlights!!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
The best thing anyone can do to make the low beams last longer is to remove the low beam relay’s ground and tie it into the sidestand switch. Every time you turn on an incandescent light, you shock it’s filament with surge current. The 01-17 wing’s starter button circuit kills the lights while cranking the engine, this means that every startup causes the bulbs to cycle twice with this surge, once when you turn on the key and then once again when you release the starter button. If you reroute the relay’s ground so that it can only energize with the sidestand up, you will remove the surge at key turn-on with the sidestand down. This will make the bulbs last longer and you will still have lights when you need them. The high beams won’t be affected. Another thing that causes early bulb failure is too much air in the front tire. If it’s as hard as a rock, it will send more vibration and road shocks into the frame, fairing, and the bulb filaments.

To the OP, good luck with your new lights. :grin2:

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Just thinking about that - 250 hours at 45 MPH average is 11,250 miles. Not all that much mileage, but I guess based on that 250 hours, it's about right.
Yeah, but yer an LD rider... :mrgreen:

Lights, lights and more lights, am I right? :lol:

:knock, knock:

Still on the original bulbs at 31k on my '16, so the first bulb should be expiring within the next few months, I'm thinking.

Let us know how you like those LED's when you get them in.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have the EC LEDs in both my low beam and high beams on my 2002 GL1800 -
They have been installed for about 2 years now (only around 20K miles) -
But I have heard that LEDs are supposed to burn for 10,000 hours (independent led chips)
The question of the entire assembly is another matter -
So let's presume only 5000 hours (1/2 the storied lifespan) at average of 40 MPH --- 200,000 miles ?
Even at 1000 hours that is still 40,000 miles which is a lot better than my experience with the standard bulbs going out once per year (10K avg)
Just my 2 ¢

1 - 20 of 21 Posts