GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone make one for the wing? Anyone make their own?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would be leary of it not projecting enough light. Look at it, they are bright, but how much of the light is really lighting the road. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was riding with friends that have new Harleys with LED headlights and they are bright. Cars were constanly flashing their headlights at us and when it got dark I was amazed at how it lit up the road. We stopped on a back road and took turns shining lites. No comparison. Harley did a nice job with that. All I can say is I want LED headlights.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I was riding with friends that have new Harleys with LED headlights and they are bright. Cars were constanly flashing their headlights at us and when it got dark I was amazed at how it lit up the road. We stopped on a back road and took turns shining lites. No comparison. Harley did a nice job with that. All I can say is I want LED headlights.
Toyota has been producing vehicles with LED headlights for several years, along with most of the other high end luxury vehicles. The are almost ready for prime time, but I believe it will be another 5 years before you see them on a Corolla. HID projectors perform every bit as well as the LED projectors, and are considerably less expensive to produce since the technology has already been proved. HID projectors properly installed and adjusted do not cause on coming traffic to flash their headlights constantly. When cars are constantly flashing their headlights at you, that is a bad thing. Blinding on-coming traffic is reckless and could get a rider killed. It has also been know to create road rage incidents. Sounds like Harley has some really screwed up headlights.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I could adjust my stock headlights so that vehicles will flash me too. When numerous vehicles are flashing their headlights at you, they are not letting you know that those lights are great. They are telling you that your headlights are screwed up and you are binding them. Maybe your friends should properly adjust their headlights so that the cutoff is at the proper level.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Those H replacements are not only illegal, but most of the reports I have read about them say that they suck. All they do is turn your tightly focused headlight beam into a floodlight. They destroy the carefully designed cutoff that is built into your headlights, and just spray light everywhere.
Could you please show a link(s) to where you found these H LED bulbs to be illegal.
Since I worked in Vehicle Exterior Lighting for yrs, my curiosity is peaked as to exactly what makes these illegal.
Also very interest since the Wing headlamp assembly has a housing with a faceted optical surface, which points the light in the correct directions as to not spray light.
One more point, there is a bulb shield in the Wing headlamps and part of the purpose of this shield(at least I'm sure some are) is to provide the "cut-off" you mention.
Again, not attacking here, just want to learn if there's somethiing I'm missing.
Also, completely agree w/your headlamp aim statement. I am seeing a lot of Wings w/the lamps aimed to high. If you are being flashed, you need to check your aim:
HEADLAMP AIM PROCEDURE​

Proper headlamp aim is achieved by adjusting the upper(high) beams.
Bike needs to be on a level floor, standing upright, loaded as you normally ride. (re, 1up-you for most), with pre load set as you ride 1up, placed 25' from a wall to the headlamp lens in front of the upper beam. I would suggest the auto adjust dial be set in the middle position for this aiming.
Measure the distance from the floor up to the center of the upper beam bulbs. Mark this height on the wall and draw a horizontal line at this height.
Sight a point on the wall that is on the centerline of the bike. Draw a vertical line on the wall placed on this center line.
turn on the upper beams.
Cover one of the headlamps.
Use the manual adjusters accessed from under the fairing.
Adjust the vertical until the hot spot of the upper beam bulb is just under the horizontal line on the wall.
Adjust the horizontal until the upper beam hot spot is just to the right of the vertical line on the wall.
Cover the headlamp just completed, and repeat procedure on the other headlamp.
Make a small mark on the auto adjust panel so you can return to the 1up setting.
Now have both headlamps uncovered and have the usual passenger you carry sit on the bike w/you, set the preload for 2up, and dial in the auto adjust dial for proper aim and mark that position on the panel by the dial. You can repeat this for loaded 1up, loaded 2up, trailer, etc.
You get what you get for low beam aim depending on how good the headlamp design was to start with!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Those H7 replacements are not only illegal, but most of the reports I have read about them say that they suck. All they do is turn your tightly focused headlight beam into a floodlight. They destroy the carefully designed cutoff that is built into your headlights, and just spray light everywhere.
Larry, illegal? which state(s)? Not is Georgia! Improper adjustment so that ANY headlight (car, truck, motorcycle, etc.) improperly adjusted can get one a citation - has nothing to do with being an LED headlight.

(Retired Deputy Sheriff!)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I could adjust my stock headlights so that vehicles will flash me too. When numerous vehicles are flashing their headlights at you, they are not letting you know that those lights are great. They are telling you that your headlights are screwed up and you are binding them. Maybe your friends should properly adjust their headlights so that the cutoff is at the proper level.
One of the guys is a State Trooper. I think he knows the laws of headlights. My fog lights are adjusted properly and I get flashed alot with them on. Dont think they're screwed up.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Could you please show a link(s) to where you found these H LED bulbs to be illegal.
Since I worked in Vehicle Exterior Lighting for yrs, my curiosity is peaked as to exactly what makes these illegal.
Also very interest since the Wing headlamp assembly has a housing with a faceted optical surface, which points the light in the correct directions as to not spray light.
One more point, there is a bulb shield in the Wing headlamps and part of the purpose of this shield(at least I'm sure some are) is to provide the "cut-off" you mention.
Again, not attacking here, just want to learn if there's somethiing I'm missing.
No attack intended here, also.

What you're missing is that headlights are carefully designed as a system. The reflector only does its job when the light source is in the proper location. The link above describes the issue with HIDs, everything it says would apply to the LEDs, and moreso, since the LEDs don't even remotely resemble the incandescent bulbs they're replacing.

There is no way you're going to insert different bub technology into a headlight assembly designed for conventional bulbs, and come up with something that's legal. The legal requirements for headlights call for not only a specific level of light, they call for a specific distribution of light.

If someone wants to make a legal LED light they're going to have to design and manufacture a coordinated assembly of bulb and reflector, and do some testing to confirm they meet standards. The designer had better be a qualified lighting professional, and, given the configuration of bright LEDs, it's not going to be easy. And you'd have to do it differently for different vehicles, see the last paragraph. I wouldn't hold my breath. It's pretty easy to see why the Harley guys were getting flashed at, and it almost certainly wasn't because the Harley lights were badly aimed.

I remember when illegal quartz halogen bulbs came on the market, followed by legal quartz halogen bulb and reflector replacement assemblies. That was possible since the standards at the time required headlights to fit a common mounting system. Yeah, I'm old. The manufacturers got the government to remove that terrible over regulation, which is why you're stuck with very expensive replacement headlights for vehicles, available only at dealers. And plastic headlight covers that get cloudy over time.
Larry, illegal? which state(s)? Not is Georgia!
Even in Georgia. :) The Federal requirement takes priority, which is why we can use headlight flashers anywhere.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It's pretty easy to see why the Harley guys were getting flashed at, and it wasn't because the OEM Harley lights were badly designed.

Actually....the available HD accessory LED headlight is the first US DOT approved replacement LED headlight system for on road use and is a complete replacement unit :thumbup:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448775792&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302514675&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302514675&bmUID=1282105818401&bmLocale=en_US

Harley is ahead of the curve with this one ...

·
Registered
927 Posts
Actually....the available HD accessory LED headlight is the first US DOT approved replacement LED headlight system for on road use and is a complete replacement unit :thumbup:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448775792&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302514675&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302514675&bmUID=1282105818401&bmLocale=en_US

Harley is ahead of the curve with this one ...

You're right about the Harleys, I'm wrong. I didn't realize the Harley guys were using OEM headlights, not replacement bulbs.

At least one of the LED bulb replacement guys trys, and maybe succeeds, to get around the legal issue by not advertising his bulbs as headlight replacements. Like:

APPLICATION: Perfect for Daytime Running Light, Fog light and Driving light.

But good LED lights will be whole assemblies designed around the characteristics of the bulbs, as Harley did. Here's a daytime running light from Hella:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-010043801-Universal-Rectangular-Daytime/dp/B002MOAL06[/ame]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The HD units are made by the J.W. Speaker company and they are starting to make them in different configurations.

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/headlights/?filter=LED#product=500027

Just a short time ago it was only available as a 7" round unit for headlights, now they have several other sizes. I am considering replacing one of my Triumph headlights with their LED. The retail pricing has even dropped a little. But I believe you are absolutely correct, HID units installed in a standard halogen fixture IMO is a bad idea, as would be any drop in LED.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Oncoming traffic blinking their lights is not necessarily an indication of wrongdoing on your part. I get blinks about once or twice a week with my fog lights off. I get them once or twice a night with them on. Below is the spray pattern of just my fogs which no one will agree is too high.

People don't so much object to the pattern as much as they object to the "COLOR" or the "TEMPERATURE" of the light. LED light typically has a rating of between 4500K and 6000K, the latter being about pure white with some blue and higher K goes into blue. Many prefer LED light to be in the 4000k range or lower which they refer to as "warm" making it less susceptible to ambient interference and more natural to the eye for colors.

Check the Candlepower Forum for extensive discussions.

To this I will add that you can have too much light with road signs (especially the new polymer checkered ones) feeding back at you in such a way as to blind you to objects in the road like raccoons that can and will give you problems. This is age related as I'm aware.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
All headlamps sold for street use are required to be DOT approved. If it is not DOT approved, it is illegal. You will not find any multi-LED H7 replacement on the market that is DOT legal.

The facets on reflectors are not random. They are computer designed to receive their light from a single tiny filament, located in a specific location in the glass envelope, per the design specs for that particular lamp. When the light is hitting the reflector from many different directions like they do in a multi-LED lamp, the light is reflected in many different directions. The light will scatter in directions that the reflector was not designed for.

12.24.9) MARKINGS
DOT marking
The lens of each original equipment and replacement headlamp, and of each
original equipment and replacement beam contributor, and each replacement
headlamp lens for an integral beam or replaceable bulb headlamp, must be
marked with the symbol “DOT” either horizontally or vertically to indicate
certification under 49 U.S.C. 30115.
Every true H7 bulb you see will have the required DOT markings on the metal base. I have seen two of these LED H7 replacements. They do not have the required DOT labeling on them, meaning they are illegal for street use. And you won't see any, because they don't conform to the H7 standard.

Have you ever noticed that no major lighting manufacturers sells LED H7 bulbs. There is a reason for that.

If you worked in automotive lighting design, you should know this stuff.

At some point down the road, we might see high power single LED H7 replacements. But that is probably several years away, and they will be extremely expensive.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts