GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed LED headlights on a 2001 - 2009 GL1800? I've been told that there is a computer issue.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Had them in my 2006 no problems. Have them in my 2017 no problems.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Welcome to the board! Please post your bike info in your signature line, it helps to get quicker answers to your questions.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Welcome.

No computer issues, however the LEDS are a PITA.
My Advice. Stick with the OEM bulbs.:smile2:
I wholeheartedly agree. :smile2:

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've installed LED's in both high and low beams on my '07 Wing with no problems. Love the brighter light and they are so easy to see from a distance. No computer issues that i've seen.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I switched all my lights, running , turn signals, headlights to LED. Had to put a LED flasher in though blinked to fast if I didn’t.

Reactions: PastoT

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I ran them in my '06 low. Loved them. I put a set in my Spyder F3T.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Has anyone installed LED headlights on a 2001 - 2009 GL1800? I've been told that there is a computer issue.

I'm just curious, what kind of computer problems are allegedly happening and where did you see this? This is the first I have heard of it and the LED headlights have been around for some time now.

And I'm another happy owner of Electrical Connection LED headlights high and low. Not sure why anyone thinks they are a pain to install. Low beams were not much more difficult than regular halogen replacements and those are extremely easy to start with. High beams were a bit of an effort but I feel it was worth it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have them in my 09 on the low beams... No issues here either...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Low and Hi beams on my 2008-HPNA...no issues..really happy with the upgrade! Even got my buddy to upgrade his 1500 with EC LED's for the 1500...what a difference!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just upgraded from a 1500 to an 1800 a few months ago and the very first update I did was LED headlights. In my opinion the OEM low beams on the 1800 just don't cut it when it comes to making you visible during the day. A few years ago a friend upgraded his 1800 to LED's and I was amazed how I could pick him out of traffic a mile back in the rear view mirror in daylight. Before that he just blended in with traffic.

I installed the SoCal Moto LED's in the low beams of my 2008 last weekend; some of the job is done by feel only because there's not much room to work, but I wouldn't say it's as PITA at all, it took me about 30 minutes. If you go to SoCal Moto's website, they have a good installation video done by Cruiserman. As far as the high beams go, I'm just going to upgrade to a brighter, whiter halogen because I don't do much night riding where I'd use high beams, and the halogens are about half the cost of LED. The high beams are a PITA to get to, but I found that if you do them at the same time as an air filter, the job is much easier with the shelter off.

The $110 I spent on the low beams was well worth it to be more visible.
https://www.cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_new_style_pathfinder_led_h7_headlight_kit/73/358810

·
Registered
711 Posts
No, no CPU issues. But test whatever you install before finishing up your installation by listening to the radio for RF/EMI. That's happened to me with the type of LED bulbs with fans (so avoid fan type LEDs).

FWIW, I believe LED headlights can look very similar to the glare off chrome when you see them in traffic in the middle of the day. So if you were wanting to change over thinking you're more visible I for one don't buy that. For visibility get a headlight modulator.
My opinions, YMMV.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Electrical Connections LEDs - and some others for driving lights...;)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I think the original poster may have left. He posted his one and only question, left right away, and hasnt been back since...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts