GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 6 yr old Kompact Kamp trailer that I picked up a few months ago. Got the plug wired up to the trike with no difficulty. Pulled the trailer from Jersey to Texas and back with one issue.

sometime between 600 miles and 1200 miles I lost the left turn signal lights. these are integrated into a fixture that also works running lights. The running lights still work just not the turn signal.

I have tested the bike side plug and that's OK so it's in the trailer. No rubbed or broken wires. I have never dealt with LED's before so I'm a little stumped. Will a led light panel burn out part way or will all of it go when it goes? I still have to run a extension for my multimeter to verify conductivity between the plug and the light itself. Is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
LED's will most definitely burn out singly. They are wired in series since LEDs operate at 1.5v dc and the power supply is generally 12vdc. This would put 8 LED's in a circuit. If the circuit is only 4 LED's, the power supply is generally 6 vdc or voltage regulator is installed in the circuit. LED's can operate at higher voltages but at a reduced life. If a whole panel of LED's is out, it could easily be a broken wire within the LED circuit. As to if you can identify the broken wire is more a function of the design and manufacture of the LED fixture. It may be simpler, although not cheaper, to replace the entire fixture.

The 50,000 - 100,000 life rating is a misnomer since the testing of LED's requires only 6,000 hours of testing. The 50,000 life is actually a fallacy of marketing. But don't be mistaken, they do operate much longer than incandescent bulb, or florescent bulbs.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Just to make sure, have you check to see if there is power at the light? Use a test light & push the prob end into the wire & turn on the turn signal & see if there is juice at that end then you will know if it's a broken wire or the light.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to make sure, have you check to see if there is power at the light? Use a test light & push the prob end into the wire & turn on the turn signal & see if there is juice at that end then you will know if it's a broken wire or the light.
That's my project for the morning. Life slowed me down today but that's a good thing.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
LED taillights that are STOP, TURN, TAIL are most likely running on a chop circuit. This is how you vary the brightness on led's. LED'S are either ON or OFF, there's no in between, and to make them appear to be bright or dim, they chop the incoming voltage to vary the "duty cycle". At 100% duty cycle, they're as bright as they get, at 50% (half on, half off) they appear to be dimmed (ever notice how some LED taillights seem to "strobe" as you look at them in a glancing motion?). It's most likely that you lost the input voltage to turn the led's to full on for the TURN/BRAKE function. Check for either a broken wire at the input circuit board, or a broken connection leading to this board. If everything looks good there, you may have a fried board, which would be rare.
Steve F

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have power to the light. But the light itself looks to be a sealed unit and I can't see how to get into without brute force. So before I do anything I need to make sure a replacement unit is available. I'd hate to get mean with it only to find out I can't get parts. Email to Kompact Kamp on it's way.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have an older Kompact Kamp and on my trailer the wiring near the lights are exposed. More than once when enterng the trailer, I have disconnect a wire.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
If you have verified that you have 12VDC at the light between the hot and ground wire, then your sealed unit is toast. It is certainly not worth trying to break into it because even if you found and fixed the problem, I think it would be unreliable from that point forward and then it is subject to moisture getting where is shouldn't be. Unless you are retired and have nothing better to do, I recommend that you just replace the whole unit and save yourself the hassle.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
If you have verified that you have 12VDC at the light between the hot and ground wire, then your sealed unit is toast. It is certainly not worth trying to break into it because even if you found and fixed the problem, I think it would be unreliable from that point forward and then it is subject to moisture getting where is shouldn't be. Unless you are retired and have nothing better to do, I recommend that you just replace the whole unit and save yourself the hassle.

Cheers.
AMEN to that! Not woth trying to fix it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE:

The LED unit itself was bad. Stopped by the Kompact Kamp factory and got a replacement for $20. And got to watch them build a camper. Shame they can't build the wife a towable Hampton Inn.

Thanks all for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts