GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace all the Stop/Run/Turn bulbs in my 2012 GL1800 Motor Trike. I believe the type of bulbs used are the 74xx series. 7440 for single intensity and 7443 for dual intensity.

Can someone please confirm that before I order the LED bulbs?

If that series is correct, I need:

2 x 7443 Amber LED Bulbs - Dual Intensity (Front turn)​
2 x 7440 Red LED Bulbs - Single Intensity (Top trunk stop)​
4 x 7443 Red LED Bulbs - Dual Intensity (Top trunk and trike run/stop)​
2 x 7440 Amber LED Bulbs - Single Intensity (Rear turn)

Remember, this is a 2012 GL1800 Trike. Is there a need for resistors or a new blinker to control the flashing rate or prevent a warning? (My 2009 Harley Sportster monitors current draw and alerts me if a bulb burns out. That means I needed to install a resistor on each bulb replaced with an LED.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
ALL bulbs are 7443 dual filament. Around the turn of the century (this one), car manufacturers quit using different bulbs for "single action" applications. They all use dual. On my truck I have swapped my rear light single tailight to my upper dual action signal/brake/tail when the bright filament went bad. Did it on both sides. Will have to buy one next time since I'm out of spares.

Now, that's early models and Honda is not really fond of changing stuff but later models might have single filament.... and dual filament.... the LEDs you are buying might save $$$

You will probably need resistors. Couple cents at Radio Shack. Not familiar with trike, but you will get a bulb out rapid flash. Some guys like the rapid flash with LEDs saying it is more noticable. I concur.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Waldo,

I think we agree on the 74xx series bulbs, but the 2012 definitely has some dual filament bulbs and some single filament bulbs. The front turn signals use dual filaments for run/turn and the rear turn signals are turn only. This is a trike, so the top trunk has run/stop lights on each side as well as stop only lights on each side. The turn signals are on the Motor Trike and are single filament bulbs.

I will see just how fast the lights blink with the LEDs and then decide whether I need a new flasher.

I just hope the 2012's don't need resistors because they need to be big heavy duty. A 21w stop light replaced by a 3w LED needs a 18w compensation and that translates to a 25w or 30w resistor to ensure it doesn't overheat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts