GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if these bulbs will fit and work in the 2003 wing? They are available through aerostich.com. Does it take 1, 2, or 3 to be uniform across the back of the bike? They seem like a great idea, less electrical draw and much more light! Any and all opinions appreciated in advance. Thanx...Mark C

·
Registered
407 Posts
Much of the light emitted from a tail or stop light is transmitted by the chrome reflector behind the bulb. The shape of the reflector causes the lens to be filled with uniformly distibuted light. LED bulbs project the majority of their light in a cone or "V" pattern and the light would not go back to the reflector. This would show up as a bright spot within the lens, leaving the outer perimiter (and corner area) with low, or no lighting. To be truly effective, LED lights need to be designed as a unit with LEDs spaced to fill the lens area and have some facing the sides where the design is intended to light the side of the vehicle.

Another issue with LED signal bulbs is the fact that they do not draw enough current to activate many flasher systems. In certain applications, a special resistor could be required to make them blink.

Bob C

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Why do I always get to be the bearer of bad news? The bulbs Honda uses are not available in LED. Beyond that, unless the LEDs face the lens, the light will actually be dimmer. Using LEDs in turn signals will yield a fast flashing light as the flasher uses the bulbs load to regulate the flash rate. Wish I had a better option for you on this.

Lewis/EC

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have found that unless the light fixture was designed for LED's most conversions result in less light being produced than with the stock bulb. I changed the bulbs on one side of my trailer with direct conversion LED's and they ended up dimmer than the stock side. :yw1:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts