GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about making the backside of Black Beauty a little brighter, and converting it to LEDs. My only question is, am I going to have to replace my Backoff modulator to work with the LEDs? They're not that pricey, but wouldn't it be nice if I didn't have to.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
According to the Signal Dynamics web site if you have the XP or WIG WAG model they will work with both LED and incandescent bulbs or a combination up to 10 amps.
The original will not work with LEDs.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Depends on the back off you have they have one that works with LEDs and one that doesn't, but I was told that if you hook the non LED one after the LED lights it will work with them if you have both.

·
Registered
851 Posts
You may wish to check out www.getlightningstrike.com. I installed these on all our rides several years ago. They will absolutely get the attention of whatever lurks behind you.:eek:4: If you peruse the website you will notice they make an application for the front as well the rear. I opted for the rear only.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I had a Back off brake modulator on my Goldwing prior to installing a trailer hitch. Once I got the trailer I was concerned that the amount of lights on it and the bike would exceed the wiring capacity, so I converted all of the lights on the trailer and the motorcycle to L.E.D.s and it still works as always, no problem.

The lights are definitely brighter, but IMO even with diffusers are a little directional. They are at their brightest directly behind the motorcycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have Wig Wag Back Off modulator combined with all LED bulbs on the back.

Than I added an Abrams LED light right above the license plate. It fits perfectly where the reflective light originally is. It is a light made for emergency vehicles - if the driver behind you can't see it, he/she is either blind or dead.

You can get it either white (clear) or red cover, as long as it lights red (see photos). Not very expensive either ($25-$30), search for "Abrams LED T3-R" .

Abrams have a different lighting pattern than your Back Off, so all of them will blink but in a different "rhythm".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts