GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lees-rlite camper that has a some mildew on the canvas. Any one out there have a suggestion to remediate it? TIA

·
Registered
129 Posts
For me, on these things, it seems prudent to begin with something gentle and get more aggressive only if needed.

Getting everything dry and brushing it all with a good stiff (I prefer synthetic) clean brush before vacuuming-up EVERYTHING that you loosen is always a first step -- this should remove any growing stuff as well as a lot of the spores. I use a synthetic brush that i know has been cleaned (ie: bleach soak) and dried to avoid spreading mold/mildew to anything else. For me, brushing dry and vacuuming should always come before any wet process just to assure that you're not helping the mold/mildem become more mobile and re-hydrated!

Secondly, I'd offer to go with a wet cleaning - good clear water, warm if you're OK with that; brush-scrub again (clean & stiff brush!)... as you start this, watch where the water goes; you'll wanna ensure that those area are well-dried and inspect them for mold/mildew as well. Let the whole thing dry completely.

If ther's staining or growth that one or two cycles of dry / wet scrubbing won't address, I'll reach for some Iosso Mold & Mildew Stain remover (also works on bird poop and leaf-stains) http://www.iosso.com .

Being in Washington, you may have better access to marine supply stores (better there than here, I'd imagine), which is where I first encountered the Iosso stuff -- A look at the boat-care items may turn up something else that's formulated especially for canvas that will leave the waterproofing intact... Should be worth a look

·
Registered
328 Posts
Also, if you're looking at products for cleaning, I don't believe the tent material is "canvas" in the old sense of the word. Certainly on the Leesurelite I had, it was more "plasticy" and there must be some sort of nylon or other sythetic involved. I think all modern tent and boat "canvas" is like that, but something to watch out for.

As well, you're near the Leesurelite factory in Osoyoos. Give them a call and they may have some advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts