GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings and I hope all is well and surviving the bad winter weather, at least some of us. I have an issue with my left ankle, my shifting foot and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced ligament issues with your shifting foot? I've dealt with this pain for the last two years, but its getting worse and surgery is in order. I would hate to think it was because of my favorite past time. Let me know what you think, and it could just be old age, 51, and I'm falling apart at the seems...lol..

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I've got a steel plate in my left foot, somewhat crimps my movement and lifting the shift lever. You may have some bone spurs or other issues that is aggravating your ligaments, or you may just need to do some stretching exercises.

Best way to find out for sure is to go to your friendly neighborhood doctor/podiatrist and get checked out by someone who did more than stay in a Holiday Inn Express. ;)

And it won't limit your riding, although you may have to go to a heel-toe shifter.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Ouch, old age is 51 now. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. :eek:4:

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I have a friend who rides with a prosthetic left foot. On his Kawasaki ZX10R, Concours and his '8 GPZ750 Turbo, his uses a push button power shifter.

He still uses his clutch, but pushes a button on his left handlebar to change gears.

I can find out more, make, model etc.. if you think this might help.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Greetings and I hope all is well and surviving the bad winter weather, at least some of us. I have an issue with my left ankle, my shifting foot and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced ligament issues with your shifting foot? I've dealt with this pain for the last two years, but its getting worse and surgery is in order. I would hate to think it was because of my favorite past time. Let me know what you think, and it could just be old age, 51, and I'm falling apart at the seems...lol..

Thanks

Joe
Joe, I don't have your ankle problem, but I can relate to your feeling that "I'm falling apart". I'm sixty-three, but I started to realize when I was in my early 50's that physically I was "not the man I used to be". Getting old is a bummer.

Although I cannot advise you on your specific problem, in general we all have "weak areas". For some it's cardiac...for some it's colon, etc.

For you, it's ankle.

I'm sure that a Buffalo Soldier like you will "adjust and adapt" and keep on keeping on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ankle injury

+ 1 on the heel - toe shifter. It will be all down pressure on your shifting and if pressing down doesn't hurt you will be good to go. Had one on my 1800 VTX and I sometimes miss having it.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
As a good buddy of mine keeps telling me.....it's not hell getting old, just damn inconvenient. :lol:
Approaching 69 next month I just can't argue with him.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys and I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone over the age of 51, you are as old as you feel. I saw a bone Doc and he told me that past damage and the possibility of the shifting could be an aggravating factor. I've been running a lot over the last few months getting ready for three months of the National FBI Academy, I'll graduate in April. Its for LEO exec's and they have been running us like Navy SEAL's, but we all need it. I just need to complete this last fitness challenge of 6.5 mile run on the Quantico Marine obstacle course. Anyway, I guess after this academy I'm headed into the operating room to have this thing cleaned out because it may be bone spurs.

Thanks for all the feedback and warm weather is coming, sooner or later.

Joe

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
You didn't offend anybody. I suspect that running would be the most likely culprit. After all, you are 51.:joke:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Joe, I love getting older, it sure beats the alternative. And enjoy every minute of the NA, it's an experience you will never forget. Now if you're running on the roads there that's not good but if you're off on the tank trails, especially with it being frozen, that could make it worse.

If you have family that's at all into hiking, be sure and take them on the obstacle course when they visit. My wife still talks about it (I think that's good). Saw you had a couple Code Red days a month ago, I was there during the summer and we had a few Black Flag days. The guys from out west couldn't adjust to very high humidity and 100+ degree days.

John

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I guess I'd be more worried about keeping the bike up than shifting. Any trouble putting weight on it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts