GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://thetouringexperience.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-post.html

Okay, I need the help of you experienced GoldWingologists. I have ventured into unchartered territory in an attempt to figure how to 1. Install a 12v plug into the left fairing pocket, and 2. Plug my IPod into the mysterious aux cable supposedly lying dormant in the bowels of that cavity.
So, I removed the push-pins and removed the pocket - which, for me and in my head alone in my garage, met with thunderous applause and technical accolades. That was short-lived however when looking inside that now exposed cavity, I was not met by the helpful GW equivalent of the animated 'paperclip' guy who walks me through MS Word and Excel documents.

I don't know what I was expecting; if not some GW gremlin personally handing me the end of an aux cable and then pointing to the electrical receptacle that would fit the 12v plug that I ordered and am waiting for, then perhaps some GW type Sea Scroll that unrolled and magically pointed to features and outlets that answered all my feared electrical questions.

Alas, all I saw was multi-colored spaghetti running into junction boxes which seem to be the central-nervous system for this beast which made my forehead start to sweat.

I failed in attaching pics here, so I put in the link above which goes to my travel blog. I know how to attachd pics there. In there you will see what I see when in peer into the bowels of this domain.

I see no loose aux cable anywhere. The only unconnected receptacle I see is that maroon plug peeking out of the black turtleneck sleeve. It seems like something wants to plug into that.

So, using Crayola terminology, where am I going wrong?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
05......ummmm, level? It has a CB, but no heated anything, GPS or running lights. What level would that be?

·
Registered
268 Posts
You will have to order the auxillary wire for the IPOD. On the left inside of the pocket is the wires for the 112V accessory to plug in. I believe it is red and the 12v accessory plug will only fit one. Look in the how to forums a fella has posted a video on the install.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
If you think your's is a "bowl of spagetti", you should see mine!!! The PO obviously wasn't an electrician when he wired in the aux switches to the PIAA and Fog lights... what a mess!! And somehow in the process, he disabled the stock Fog light switch and 4-way flashers. Looks like I got some cleaning up to do this winter but, at least my scoot already has the "cig lighter" type aux power outlet already installed.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Jeff you are probably going to have to go to Honda to get the auxiliary cord unless you're still friends with the old owner. Then if you are i would ask him if its still lying about in his garage. For putting in a power plug you need to put a jumper harness off of the white nylon plug in the picture. You can get one at EC or HDL. http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns_gl18_06_accy.htm

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,465 Posts
The power connector(RED) is in a large black rubber boot to the left in the hole, the aux audio cable plugs into the aux connector(WHITE) in that same boot. Like the others have said, if you don't have the factory aux cable you will have to get one from EC or Honda. C35 is the power and C36 is the aux in this picture. Honda's price is a little steep for what it is: CORD #39170-MCA-000 $28.62

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, the plot thickens....and I am getting excited. Based on the above pic and your description, I have observed the following:

The white C39 receptacle is occupied. Whatever is plugged into it goes into the innards of the bike, and a gentle tug doesn't reveal anything. There is even a loose rubber grommet on that wire - like it was supposed to go through a plastic wall or something.

Now, there is a Sirius sattelite radio dock attached to the right handlebar - which I do want to get rid of. Do you think I can assume that's what's plugged into the white C39 receptacle? If so, I wonder if I can unplug that, remove the dock station, and thus coax the wire through and out. I may have to remove some handlebar plastic to do that.

What do you think?

Oh, and does anybody want a Siruis Sattelite docking station and the attaching accoutrements? You need the actual radio unit, but this has to be worth something.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I saw it in your pic. And you just described it. The cable with the grommet is the aux input. That grommet normally goes into the hole in the bottom of the glove box that you removed.
I suggest that you gently pry apart the jumble of cables while trying to find the end of the aux cable. It isn't very long since it's designed to only reach into the glove box. I think you're on the right track that it goes to the satellite receiver.
If it hasn't been cut off, the end of the aux cable has a miniature male plug like stereo earphones have.
Hope that helps some.

Ralph Wenzl

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,465 Posts
Rawen2 is right. You meant C36, and yes there's a good chance that is it being used by the docking unit. If you follow it you should come to the plug end. It's approx. 16-18 inches long and has a right angle plug on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eureka! Well, I followed the black wire coming from C36 and - you are correct Techdude and Rawen- it has the right angle male end, and was plugged into a female receptacle - which attached wired disappears into the bike.

I unplugged it and now I have an aux cable!!

I also felt adventurist and removed the sattelite receiver. I had to remove the right fairing box because one wire went to a DC adapter which was cleverly velcroed inside that well. When all was removed, I had one wire on the right side, and the one femaled wire in the left fairing pocket. I have a feeling they are opposite ends of the same wire - although the previous owner cable-tied all the wires so I can't be 100% sure.
I will be replacing the windshield when it arrives and hopefully will see that wire making the span from left to right so I can address it. Hazzaa!

I am so intimidate by all things electric, so thanks to all for your advice and encouragement. :bow:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With my newfound aux cable, I was wondering if there are thoughts about the method used to access it - and the future 12v plug that will be in the left pocket.

My ideal set-up is to have a twin Ram mount clutch cover where I mount my GPS and IPod. My GPS would plug into the 12v outlet I will install in the left pocket, and the aux cable into the IPod.

Any suggestions on how to make a clean, weather-resistant and secure attachment for these applications?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,465 Posts
Well, if you find the other end of that audio cable, you could re-route it up the left handlebar and run the power wire for the GPS down the handlebar to the connection under the pocket. That way you wouldn't have to drill any holes in the pocket and everything would be under the shelter and pocket, out of the weather.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I eliminated the connector shown in the first pic and soldered the three leads together and wrapped in foil to preserve the shield on the audio cable. Never any fear of dirty connections which is what will eventually result.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
For what it's worth, I have an iPod touch which I plug the aux wire into. I have a 12v outlet in the left pocket and plug the iPod cord into it (with a 12v adapter from Wally World on-line).

Keeps the iPod fully charged while riding. Only down side is I can't control the iPod while moving, but since I usually just shuffle everything or pick a playlist, it's not a big deal. When we stop for a rest or for gas, I can switch playlists.

There is an adapter that you can buy which tricks the bike into thinking your iPod is a CD changer. That will give you more control over the iPod, but it costs something like $150.

I'll stick with my set up for now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As with most things, this was not as big of surgery as I anticipated. I drilled the 1 1/8 hole in the appropriate mark on the removed left pocket and the 12v adapter fit perfectly. Snug as a bug.

It plugged right into the red harness and now it is operational. There was an existing hole in the bottom of the pocket, and I fished through the aux wire through which will go into my IPod. Nice.

Here is my current plan to hook up my Garmin GPS: I have the 'Motorcycle Larry' clutch cover with 2 RAM balls attached, so that is where the GPS is going.

My plan is to enlarge the bottom hole in the fairing pocket - the one the aux wire goes through - and will feed the small end of the GPS wire through that (with the other end plugged into the 12v socket), drill another appropriate size hole in the black plastic piece (like a firewall or shroud) directly beneath and close to the left handlebar. That way, the male (smaller) end of the GPS wire, goes through the aux hole in the fairing pocket, snakes through the shroud hole, and can plug into the GPS.

My GPS is not weather resistant and not bike-specific, so I will unplug it in inclement weather and when stopped for the evening. Also, this is the GPS I use for the car and at work, so I can't hardwire it (a
nd is beyond my level of abilities).

So, that's my set-up. I am pretty confidant it will work. Hazzaa!!!! :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts