GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please help me, on how to remove the left pocket on a 06 Goldwing. comfort/nav/audio package. Pics would be nice (if Any). thanks in advance. :? :? :?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
If you mean the upper fairing pocket, you just push in on the center of the four pins and then pull them out. Pocket comes right out.

If you mean the one wit hthe controls for the headlight and pre-load, you have to remove the long plastic strip byt pushing it to one side and pulling out a bit, and then remove the one screw inthe panel, and then push the panel toward th center of thebike and that releases the clip....you have to pull out on it at the same time. there is a clip onthe outboard side of the panel.

Hope that helps.

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
Remove the fairing trim strip starting at the bottom. Push in the center of the 4 pins holding the pocket in place and remove them. Lift pocket.......

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Oooops...forgot the trim has to come off for the pocket too.
That's why we got you Red.......good call!

Watch out that you don't bend that trim piece much in the area where it curves.....it's tender there!

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
steve s said:
Oooops...forgot the trim has to come off for the pocket too.
That's why we got you Red.......good call!
Glad I'm good for something! LOL... On the earlier models you didn't have to remove the trim strip.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick response, on the trim piece starting from the bottom up, do I just starting pulling up gently, also I have the Chrome trim, Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
fingernail under trim (bottom ) and rock plastic back and forth work your way up

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Yea, there are clips(catches), (hooks), running down both sides of the trim on the backside about 4 inches apart or so. If you start on one side like at the botton inside and pull outboard you'll make it happen, and from there it's very understandable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fairing pocket "pins"

Does anyone know the correct name and/or the part number for the small black pins that secure the four corners of the left and right fairing pockets.

Also, does anyone have the same info for the two larger pins that secure the lower cowl to the bottom of the fairing, directly behind the front wheel.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Red said:
Remove the fairing trim strip starting at the bottom. Push in the center of the 4 pins holding the pocket in place and remove them. Lift pocket.......
Tip: push in the center of the 4 pins, CLOSE the lid, then lift out the pocket. This stops them from flying out and getting lost.

Trev.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Auswing said:
Tip: push in the center of the 4 pins, CLOSE the lid, then lift out the pocket. This stops them from flying out and getting lost.

Trev.
I'll have to try that next time, sounds like a really good idea. An idea that makes ya say, "why didn't I think of that?"

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just can't tell you all enough how valuable this site is! I am installing a Hondaline power adapter tomorrow and did a search to find how to remove the fairing pocket. Thanks to all who have traveled these roads and share their knowledge.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks to all the previous instructional posts, my install is done and all went well. I did not have a 30mm hole saw. I had an inch & 1/8" and an inch & 1/4". The inch & 1/4 was a little large. I used the inch and 1/8 and worked it out slightly with a file.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Re: Fairing pocket "pins"

Rumpole said:
Does anyone know the correct name and/or the part number for the small black pins that secure the four corners of the left and right fairing pockets.Thanks.
Clip,bumper seal 90116-SPO-003 Pocket push pins, plastic rivets.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
It's one of the better removals of tupperware on the bike, I actually find it pleasurable to remove the pins. Just press in on the center, the pin just pops out. I do all four at once, put them inside the fairing pocket as I remove it and voila - done! As for the trim, gently ease a flat tip screwdriver under from the bottom, then I use the same flat tip to help ease the rest of the trim off, making darn sure not to scratch. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Left pocket removal

Hello from the Far East, I know that what follows is not relative to the pocket removal but the screws that are under the side trim are different lengths and the shoulders are different so i take a marking pen and start at the top and make one mark and then two marks on the head of the next bolt etc. Yes , i know that these bolts do not have to be removed to extract the pocket but just in case you have to go further a little dab will do it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
joelhar said:
I actually find it pleasurable to remove the pins. Just press in on the center ... I do all four at once
Auswing recently suggested to then just close the cover with
the pins in place under the cover (the center pushed in)
... then just lift the whole box out and no worries about dropping the little pins,
they're locked underneath the cover.

I tired it ... works good.

Dennis

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
wingwing said:
... then just lift the whole box out and no worries about dropping the little pins,
they're locked underneath the cover.

I tired it ... works good.

Dennis
FYI.....
Prior to '06 you can't do that! The door/lid doesn't come out with the box. :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts