GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a mishap about a month ago(had to run off the road to avoid hitting another bike) and did mostly cosmetic damage to the left side of the bike. When I hit the ground( I did land in grass and mud) the handlebars went hard left at impact so all the damage was on the left side. I had the bike repaired and it looks great and everything is working fine but one issue. The left fan is rubbing only on occasion when it comes on but it is a distinct rubbing sound. When it does it I can tell the fan is struggling to get going due to whatever it is rubbing against. It does not do it all the time or even most of the time. I will take it back to the repair shop but my question is, could it be possbile that one of the fan blades is just slightly bent from the impact and that is what is causing the issue? It looks like it is all plastic so not sure that plastic would "bend". And why does it not do it every time?

Any other thoughts what the issue might be. Again it only does it about once every 6 or 7 times the fan comes on. Left side only. The right fan is fine.

It is 2002.

Thanks.

Rich

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Its probley the fan motor mount and you need to get it fixed ASAP as it could rub a hole in the radatior.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
A hard jolt like the one you say the bike took could easily throw the fan out of balance or some other sort of damage. Now that you clearly have identified a problem with the fan just take the mindset that you need to replace the fan or at least inspect it very closely to see if it was not thrown out of position and all it needs is to be snapped back into place.

·
Vendor
18,446 Posts
The fan blade is plasic and so is the housing it sits in. It all starts with an inspection. Something is either broken, the lower mount for the fan assembly or the radiator is bent. Or there is something stuck in the rad causing the fan to rub on it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

I guess if something is broken or bent, why doesn't it rub all the time? Why only once in a while?

I will take it back to the dealer that repaired it and see what they find.

Thanks again.

Rich

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
You didn't say you replaced the fairing, but the radiator can easily be twisted and that could cause the rubbing sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts