GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My antidive has been disabled for quite a while since my valve was locking up often. Soon after disabeling the valve the left fork seal began leaking. I serviced the forks and went on my jolly way. Last Wednesday I blundered into a pot hole that was well hidden in the sunball and geve the bke a pretty good jolt. Later in the day I noticed seal was begining to seep. I inpsected it today and and the seal is still inplace, but is leaking. Forks will get dismantled, inspected and reassembled with new seals and bushings as needed. Its still a bit odd that the left seal is the one that blows, even with the anti-dive out of the picture.

prs

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Pretty close to the same thing happened to mine. My AD has been disabled for about 6K and a week or so ago I noticed that the Left tube was wet?? then remembered that I bottomed out some time back on the Hiway. I am toying with putting in the T-Springs if It has to come apart??? What do I mean IF~~ When I mean.

Any thoughts on that.

·
Vendor
2,334 Posts
Hi guys,

There's a bit of a misconception that if you disable your AD that you will elimanate the left seal leakage problem. It does help, but one of the key causes hasn't been elimanated.

The left caliper still rolls forward to push on a plunger (secondary master cylinder) every time you use the brakes.

This rocking/loading/unloading movement on the left fork is the actual key cause for the left seal wearing out before the right seal.

It's worse with ABS because that will actually "cycle" the motion like a jackhammer whenever the ABS activates.

·
Vendor
2,334 Posts
PS, your forks should be able to hit potholes and not leak. It may have just been coincidence that you knew you hit a pothole, and then decided to check if everything was OK, and found a weeping seal. They will weep a long time before you notice it.

They actually have to fill up the cavity above the fork seal and under the dust seal quite a bit before you start seeing the ring of oil above the dust seal, and that takes a while.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Max:

Its a pretty good coinky-dink since the pre-ride check was clean and the post ride check showed oil on the tube. WHen I removed teh Kury brace I noticed the upper "dust" seal to be raised up a few mm too. There was a small pool of oil on top of the seal I cleaned it up and rode a very short ride and it was all oiled up again. New seals, bushings, sliders and such arrived today so I can start tearing her down and clening up.

prs

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
seal

The same thing happened to me I had the forks rebuilt and added a set of Maxs Springs I like the ride better.

·
Vendor
2,334 Posts
Seals are a sticky subject, and always will be. Some last 5,000 miles, and some last 50,000 miles. It's easy see why people get mad when they are on the short end of that. But you have to realize they are just a piece of rubber sliding up and down on a piece of steel a million times. They just wear out. :cry:

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Soloquest:

I just opened the box from Hal to get the packing list so I could quote the part numbers for you and noticed they are not exactly listed that way - plus the shipmanet came with all the other suff, but no fork seals, no bushings, no sliders. So I am not so well prepared after all. Go to Hal's part site and look at teh exploded view for teh parts. I ordered dust seals, fork seals, fork bushings, fork slider bushingss, the fork cap O rings (just in case I tear one or both), the two fork bottom bolts, the copper seals for the two bottom bolts, the fork seal retainer clips. I have plenty of fork oil too (thanks to Bulldog).

Most of the tme you can get by with just the two fork dust seals, two fork seals, two upper bushings two lower bushings, and enough fork oil to do teh job. Reuse the old parts otherwise. Mine has already been apart once so I wnated some new parts on hand.

Now, I gotta go see if my seals and stuff are on back order or if I neglected to order them or what? :roll:

prs

Soloquest said:
I feel your pain.

Pigeon Roost said:
New seals, bushings, sliders and such arrived today so I can start tearing her down and clening up.
PRS, what exactly does the "and such" part consist of? Please see this post. http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73070

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts