GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left seal is leaking pretty good, will it hurt anything to drive it 100 miles to the dealer to have it repaired or should I find a trailer?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Ride it. Its probably leaked a little before you noticed it. Unless you live on a dirt road you don't have to worry about dirt sticking to the leaking fluid and potentially scratching up your fork legs. I would wipe the excess off the fork legs with a grit free rag and ride it there. You might want to make sure they have the fork seals in stock ahead of time. One last thing is don't settle for anything less than original Honda fork seals. I had to learn the hard way in the past with non Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki etc. seals, they all leaked and the labor is nothing you want to repeat any more than you have to. Its up to you but depending on the mileage on the bike I might check the steering head bearings too.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, it's been a couple of weeks since I've got to ride and there is good size pool of fluid on the floor so you're probally right it has been leaking a while and I didn't notice it.
I've got 52000 on it so I'll take your advice on the seals and have the head bearings done and some progressive springs installed too. I thought the roads were getting rougher :(

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
We were down in your neck of the woods (Flat Lands) yesterday with the Hack & ACD's. We went through La Junta and Las Animas looking for a retirement house. Went by a few that looked interesting but no realtors were handy for a good look.

If your left fork seal blew out like mine did it will only take 10 miles to empty the fork tube of oil. In the 10 miles it took us to make it home from downtown Colo Springs ours was totaly empty!! You could find the missing oil all over us, the Shelter and the left brake. Note that the left brake pads had to be replaced too due to being oil soaked.

Pull the rubber cover on the top of the slider and look at the seal. If it is really blown you will see some of the seal folded over it's self. If it didn't self distruct like some are want to do you should be OK for that 100 mile trip. The folks at APEX said that they had never seen a seal blown like mine did but from what I have noted from those it has happend to on the 1800's it is to be expected on the left side.

Good luck & I hope your's is a minor leak.
Jerry

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Jerry I know a great house here in La junta! It's selling privtely by owner (retired ups) and he wants to move to the Springs. Maybe you two could get together on a deal. I know he wants to sell real bad. Larry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Left Fork Seal Blow out

My left fork seal blew out. I still rode over 400 miles in that condition after talking to my service by phone. I am over 75000 miles however.

·
Registered
170 Posts
When mine blew the dealer replaced it under warranty. Don't pay if you don't have to.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I blew a left fork seal. 10K later they started leaking again.

It ended up that my anti-dive wasn't working. I'm not sure if the seals blew because of the defective anti-dive or not. But I know if I have leaking seals on my new ride, I will have them check the anti-dive as well.

·
Registered
979 Posts
What Al said the anti dive unit has been known when defective to blow the fork seal ,there is an o ring in there that gets sucked into the anti dive unit that causes it not to work,make sure you have the dealer check the anti dive unit also or you will just keep blowing out the seal. :wink: :sw1: :sw1: :sw1:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I have it in the shop now and I did ask them to check the anti dive unit.
The ride has always been very stiff on the front end to me, so much so that bothers my wrist. I asked them to install progressive springs. Do you think it will make it better or worse?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
The Progressive brand springs will make it more comfortable. Some say changing the fork oil to 15 wt will help too.

I don't know for sure but a few weeks back we had the Sidecar off and rode the bike out East with the Progressive springs and 15wt oil that's been in it for some time now and the ride was fine but that is with an Auto Tire on the rear and a Rear bike tire on the front so it may not apply to a "Stock" bike.

It's been too long sense changing the springs to remember exactly what effect they had except that the front seemed less harsh and that was with OEM oil back then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts