GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day, my 2001 has developed an appetite for fork seals. I replaced two of them in three years (the second after disabling my antidive). After the last fork seal failure I had a gold valve fork kit and traxxion springs put in the front, and a traxxion shock on the rear. Two years - 26K miles, the seal is blown again.

The front end copes will with broad dips in the road. It feels like a rigid piece of steel when I hit an expansion joint or a pothole, *except* a couple of times a month when, for some reason, it works well.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the cause?

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Wonder if a tube needs to be replaced. If scored at all, that might be the problem. I know we replaced one of mine when we did the Traxxion installation -- it was scored pretty good.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Wonder if a tube needs to be replaced. If scored at all, that might be the problem. I know we replaced one of mine when we did the Traxxion installation -- it was scored pretty good.

That will sure make it leak, look it over very close.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good idea - I'll check it. The fork looks visually OK - maybe it's bent. I'll put a straight edge on it, and give it a good look with a magnifying glass.

Should I be able to see the scoring?

Thanks!

Rick

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Use a cotton ball, or an old pair of panty hose, if they snag, you have a bur and it needs to be cleaned up.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Rick,

I had the same problem since I haul mine alot between N Arkansas & E. Texas in the trailer. Finally gave up and tried the "Red Neck Fork Overhaul". Serviced with ATF with 2 onces of power steering stop-leak mixed with ATF into each fork. Maybe not for everyone (?), but it sure solved my problem.

Stock struts, Race Tech 1.1 springs with ADV disabled. Rides great and NO LEAKS!

Regards,

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
A scored tube can cause a seal to leak, but the Gold valve should take the shots out of the handle bars. Methinks you've got something screwed up in the valving. Talk to Race Tech and maybe you can send them the fork for a rebuild or at least send them the valve and see if it's set up for you.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Two more things to look for:

If the fork bushings are worn too far, they will allow the tubes to wobble ever so slightly. That will take out new seals in 20k miles. You didn't mention how many miles are on the bike, but considering you put 26k miles in 2 years (13k per year) and it's an '01, you might need bushings if they've not been replaced yet..

Also, if you aren't aligning your forks on the front axle correctly (IOW, pinching them together too much or spreading them) you'll cause bushings to wear quickly, causing seals to leak, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts