GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Returned from my ride yesterday noticed a nice oil spot under the left front fork seal, the bike, 2003 GW with around 55k, is this about the mileage to expect replacement? also I would think the springs should be replaced? any idea of what to expect in respect to the cost? I can't do this myself. Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had three left seals replaced on my '08 by 75K, then two on the right fork of my '13 at 50K. I'm on an '18 now, and hoping I won't have that problem anymore.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Try "sealmate" first. Look it up on the internet. Or, you can make one yourself out of a plastic solo cup. At least half the time this will solve the problem. If it doesn't and you put new seals in replace the bushings while you are at it and you may want to consider new progressive springs. Afterwards deactivate the antidive with a kit available for purchase or by drilling a hole in a nickel. There are many posts about it on this forum.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Returned from my ride yesterday noticed a nice oil spot under the left front fork seal, the bike, 2003 GW with around 55k, is this about the mileage to expect replacement? also I would think the springs should be replaced? any idea of what to expect in respect to the cost? I can't do this myself. Thanks
This just happened to mine at 110,000 miles; shimmed the antidive valve, cleaned up the mess, and used the sealmate as the directions state. Promptly rode the entire length of OH 555 which is a workout on the forks, no more leaks for now. So I was fortunate that the process worked for me, for now at least. Worth a try...

·
Registered
530 Posts
RedRon nailed it. Your seals and bushing are shot at that mileage. Replace them both, get rid of the anti-dive, replace the stock springs with Progressives and ride away like a road racer. Can't remember what the labor cost is, probably around $400, parts probably $180. It really transforms the bike.

Try "sealmate" first. Look it up on the internet. Or, you can make one yourself out of a plastic solo cup. At least half the time this will solve the problem. If it doesn't and you put new seals in replace the bushings while you are at it and you may want to consider new progressive springs. Afterwards deactivate the antidive with a kit available for purchase or by drilling a hole in a nickel. There are many posts about it on this forum.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I had three left seals replaced on my '08 by 75K, then two on the right fork of my '13 at 50K. I'm on an '18 now, and hoping I won't have that problem anymore.
I'd be willing to give 10 to 1 odds that you won't blow any fork seals on your '18!:wink2:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Your last sentence says you can’t do it yourself.... It turns out to e a fairly easy job to replace seals and bushings. It’s time consuming removing both forks but not really difficult. Of course your time may be more valuable than the labor cost but it’s a pretty satisfying feeling to DIY.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My left fork started to leak after I replaced the stock springs to Traxxion springs on my 08. Also found a little spill on a side of it. Bike has only 16k on. I'll try the plastic fix first, but it doesn't look like I can open the cap and add fluid without removing the forks. Dono. Have no desire to go thru this song-and-dance of reassembling it all again.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your last sentence says you can’t do it yourself.... It turns out to e a fairly easy job to replace seals and bushings. It’s time consuming removing both forks but not really difficult. Of course your time may be more valuable than the labor cost but it’s a pretty satisfying feeling to DIY.

First I would like to Thank everyone who took the time to post I really appreciate it!!

philipintexas, although I am somewhat mechanical, & I have lots of time, most of my tools are in MN,
. given that, I have found someone who I feel is quite a competent mechanic, (at least I hope so) I am going to see him tomorrow and discuses seals & bearings, & Progressive springs. I also should have added, it was a little more that a little leak, a saucer size puddle was on the floor, Any thoughts of riding the MC about 30 miles to his shop? or should I trailer. (A Honda on a trailer just doesn't seem right (jk) Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
First I would like to Thank everyone who took the time to post I really appreciate it!!

philipintexas, although I am somewhat mechanical, & I have lots of time, most of my tools are in MN,
. given that, I have found someone who I feel is quite a competent mechanic, (at least I hope so) I am going to see him tomorrow and discuses seals & bearings, & Progressive springs. I also should have added, it was a little more that a little leak, a saucer size puddle was on the floor, Any thoughts of riding the MC about 30 miles to his shop? or should I trailer. (A Honda on a trailer just doesn't seem right (jk) Thanks again!
I had a left fork seal let go a couple of years ago when I was riding home from Virginia to Massachusetts. Other than having to also replace the oil saturated, left front brake pads I had no other issues. I would definitely ride the thirty miles to his shop.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I put a modified upside-down GL1500 fork protector on the Kury fork brace on mine. Never had a leak, but had Traxxion installed ~40k miles and rebuild ~96k miles, so the seals were renewed then. At 114k now. The area on the tubes just above the seals should be wiped clean every day (or every gas stop) if you don't have protection on them. And carry a thin piece of plastic (like 35mm film) to clean out any bug you might find trapped in the dust seal (the part thst you can see).

·
Vendor
17,811 Posts
It's best too over haul both forks. New springs will defiantly improve your ride even if you go with OEM springs. If you choose aftermarket, I'd only recommend Traxxion.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I recently did my front shocks with Traxxion springs, $130.00,( I recommend these, w/ Golden Spectro shock oil). & bought OEM parts, $120.00, and expect about, $120.00 labor.

You may save a little by taking your front shocks off and bring to shop & reinstall yourself. So about $250.00 total that way.

If you do them yourself you do need the CORRECT. size seal driver tool & manuals so you get it right the first time and proper amt of fluid in each shock!!! If not sure about any of above have a "(experienced Tech")
do them It would be worth it. $370.00 YMMV

Replacement miles kinda depends on weight and riding conditions & style. stock front shocks on a wing are very weak & when you put Traxxion (linear springs) on made for your weight you will notice a much better ride and handling. It will also GO UP ON THE CENTER STAND much easier.

The difference between Progressive & Linear springs Is a option. I like the Linear as the give you more travel of the system.

A call to either Progressive or Traxxion & get the proper information for your application will be the best thing you can do!!!!!!

Ride Safe

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Take a look at the fork tubes between the clamps on the triple tree.
Even in the dry climate I live in here in So. Calif. I found pitting on the fork tubes of my 2005 after 8 years of riding. The pitting can damage the new seals when they are installed. I had to buy new fork tubes.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a hunch that my fork seals take more abuse than most as the nearest payment is 10Km away.
For me seal replacement seems to be very rhythmic, If I do right this year it will be left next year. That would mean that I get about 60,000Km per seal.
I have found that I have to do bushings at least every other time. (the last couple of years I have started replacing bushings every time.)
I also have a bushing/seal kit in stock at all times.
With more than 200,000Km I have done a few seals. I don't even remove the fork from the bike to overhaul them.
Scotty

·
Registered
136 Posts
I developed a leaking left side fork seal almost immediately after I acquired my used Wing with 24k miles. A kind member here advised me to try cleaning the fork seal first before taking it all apart. I didnt want to wait for the seal cleaning tool they sell on ebay (curved piece of thin flat plastic) so I made my own from a 2 liter plastic soda bottle in the same shape as their pic. It took all of 3 minutes to cut out and looks nearly identical. After removing the front half-fender, I pried the dust cover on the leaking fork leg upward and out of the way. Then ran my new make-shift cleaning tool around the inside of the seal and noticed some grime on the forward edge of the tool when I removed it. It was doing its job! So I reinserted the tool once again and ran it around a few more times for good measure. After cleaning the area of all traces of fork oil (and before reseatting the dust cover), a quick ride confirmed the seal is now working flawlessly once again. I also initially and deliberately contacted a high curb with the front tire, then with front brakes engaged, used 1st gear power of the engine to exercise the full travel of the front suspension to assist it in sealing and test for a blown seal. After the ride, I traced and cut out a few more copies from the same bottle, then slid them under the onboard tool kit for future use. If you ride in areas with bugs and grime, you'll probably eventually use them more than once.

If you google "sealmate", you'll find several vids showing what they look like and how to use them.

BUT, before receiving such great advice, I went ahead and ordered new seals, bushing kit, fork oil, progressive mono tubes and the complete tool kit for the job. Oh well... Im in no rush to pull it all apart just yet but ready when the time comes. 5k miles later and not a drop of fork oil to be found.

Tom, if you're reading, thanks again for all your great advice and the mirror.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Keep slider tubes clean and lubed :)

I wipe down the slider portions of the tubes at the end of the day with hydrogen peroxide. It gets suicidal bugs off before they dry. I then put a couple drops of suspension oil on my fingers and put a thin film on the tubes. 96k miles and no seal leaks.
I guess the oil makes insects do the "Help Ive fallen and can't get up thing" :joke: .

Reactions: pidjones and 98valk

·
Registered
530 Posts
Good advice and funny too. Put on some Shock Sox, you will like what they do for you.

I wipe down the slider portions of the tubes at the end of the day with hydrogen peroxide. It gets suicidal bugs off before they dry. I then put a couple drops of suspension oil on my fingers and put a thin film on the tubes. 96k miles and no seal leaks.
I guess the oil makes insects do the "Help Ive fallen and can't get up thing"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts