GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my turn signals, 4 ways and everything else work fine, my let mirror "Running" light is out. Replaced the bulb with two different new ones with the same issue. Before I drop it off at the dealer and have them take apart the many accessories, I figured I would try here to solve it from some of you geniuses. Warranty is done after 6-30-14.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
While my turn signals, 4 ways and everything else work fine, my let mirror "Running" light is out. Replaced the bulb with two different new ones with the same issue. Before I drop it off at the dealer and have them take apart the many accessories, I figured I would try here to solve it from some of you geniuses. Warranty is done after 6-30-14.
Turn on your right turn signal, does the left position light come on? If it does, then your position light relay is probably bad. It's under the seat in the relay bank, it's the second relay from the right end of the third row from the front(brown socket)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope...just the right when right is on. Left when left is on.

Just no "Running" light on the left mirror is out and its not the bulb.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Nope...just the right when right is on. Left when left is on.

Just no "Running" light on the left mirror is out and its not the bulb.
Ok, so when the left turn signal is on, the right side running light is on? The power for the position lights(running lights) comes from the turn signal switch. It is cross wired so the left side gets power when the right turn signal is turned on and vise versa. They are cross connected by the position light relay to make both light up when the turn signal stops flashing. Since the left one is out no matter which side you turn on, there's probably a connection issue with one of the only 2 connectors for the left side. One of them is just inside the fairing up at the mirror under the rubber boot around the mirror mount. The other one is C4 (blue connector)under the left fairing pocket in the white frame. The wire is the orange/white wire at both connectors.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Grab the turn signal switch, pull it a little and wiggle it around. See if the light will come on. Just got past this issue with my 09.
Dealer replaced entire switch assembly under extended warranty.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Fellas...I will troubleshoot it on Wednesday while I'm off and follow the power signal until it stops/starts as well as both of your ideas.

Thanks greatly

Ray

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the exact same situation today. Took the bulb out and could see that the top filament was severed. I put in a new bulb and problem fixed. $3.09. Glad it was nothing more.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As it turns out, one of the wires in a harness was pulled out (Not sure how) and had to be removed/re-soldered and replaced. My warranty was running out on June 30 so I took it to the dealer one mile away and had them look everything over. I specifically mentioned the light out and unusual amount of metal in the final drive. At 51000 miles, I figured I had nothing to lose for them to check it all out. They located the broken wire and had to do some soldering and such, so I said go ahead and do it.

I will look the next time I remove the let pocket and see what and where it was.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Ray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts