GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found on a ride yesterday that my grip heaters are malfunctioning. No indications of error on the display, but when I turn the grips on the right one gets so hot I cannot keep my hand on it even with gloves on, and the left one does not heat at all.

I do have the General and Electrical System Service Manuals and the troubleshooting procedures look like the usual with this bike... you have to remove a bunch of plastic to get to any of the connectors.

I guess I will trailer the bike to the dealer (about 4 hours round trip) and leave it to them to troubleshoot it. Grip heaters aren't hard to get right. I have had them on a lot of motorcycles, and this, the most expensive of them all has a grip heater failure.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I think your left grip is shorted and all the current is heating the right. Could be caused by pinched wiring or twisting of the heating element inside the left grip. The twisting can be caused by pulling the left grip while putting the bike on the center stand. If this is the case, the left grip will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The grip heaters are out in both my grips. I'll be taking the bike in for warranty service before too much longer. I'm having trouble not riding and I know the local dealer will take forever to effect the repairs. Might have to get heated gloves. Might even call the original dealer to see what their backlog is. I mean I rode for years without heated grips, but I want things to work at least they way they are designed (except for the Nav system - I would like for it to be some better than it currently is).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I personally find my First Gear / Warm & Safe heated gloves do a far better job of keeping my hands warm than any grip heaters do.

I am getting mine fixed just because I don't like having stuff not working on my bike, and I have a warranty. I don't find the heated grips particularly effective, nor have any heated grips I have had done much good.

The wind blast is on the backs of your fingers, not the grip side. Grip heaters are better than nothing at all, but just barely.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I personally find my First Gear heated gloves do a far better job of keeping my hands warm than any grip heaters do.
If you like heated gloves then try the ones from Warm n Safe. They're the most supple, comfortable, waterproof, flexible, effective heated gloves I've ever had. I even leave them on when I don't need the heat :grin2:

Marc

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you like heated gloves then try the ones from Warm n Safe. They're the most supple, comfortable, waterproof, flexible, effective heated gloves I've ever had. I even leave them on when I don't need the heat :grin2:

Marc
The FirstGear ones *are* the Warm & Safe ones.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got a call from the dealer, the heated grips are fixed under warranty. The gal who called did not know what the problem was, but I will find out when I go to pick it up on Monday.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just discovered today that neither of mine work. I have grip puppies, but I had them on my F6B and had no trouble feeling the heat.
Will be taking it in. Guessing it's an assembly defect since I only have 350 miles on it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the bike back with the heated grips fixed under warranty. Dealer said the left grip had overheated to the point where it melted the glue, and when the glue melted the grip rotated, breaking the wires and causing an open circuit on that side.

I had Grip Puppies on it before the failure. I wonder if the GPs insulated the area to the extent it got too hot? Not gonna use GPs any more on this bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Got the bike back with the heated grips fixed under warranty. Dealer said the left grip had overheated to the point where it melted the glue, and when the glue melted the grip rotated, breaking the wires and causing an open circuit on that side.

I had Grip Puppies on it before the failure. I wonder if the GPs insulated the area to the extent it got too hot? Not gonna use GPs any more on this bike.
I had the same issue. Got mine fixed and have used a lot in the last couple of weeks with my grip puppies...no issues now and have had on full heat a couple times once in the rain.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealer also told me not to use the grip heaters above the #2 heat setting for a couple weeks. This is apparently noted in the manual for installation of the heaters, and it is so the glue will completely cure before using them at high temps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts