GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time (prior to yesterday) that my trike had been ridden was December 3rd - all systems go.

Yesterday the left handlebar controls would not work - except for the turn signals, horn, hi/low beam.

CB receives just fine - just can't transmit or adjust volume, etc.

Radio controls not working.

The trike has been in the garage the whole time - chilly but dry.

Any suggestions for solutions? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Suz,

For a quick fix, try spraying contact cleaner around the gaps of the switches, then when it evaporates, spray silicone or tri-flo in the same spots. If that doesn't work, then a disassembly of the switch is needed.

PS: Hold a paper towel under the handlebar switches before you begin.

Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
Had the exact thing happen to my left handlebar switches. Only difference was I was using the aux input cord and an MP3 player when things quit.
All functions on the left handlebar switches did not work and the only control I had was with the radio volumn control.
I could not turn on AM or either FM's and the weather channel did not work.
An extended Honda visit (a little over a month in the shop) and numerous hours of trouble shooting the problem was resolved.
Oh and by the way that expensive extended warrenty does not cover radio repairs.
What my Honda mechanic found was a weak pin grip on the C-B memory input connector. I was not using the c-b nor had I been using the c-b. It just turned out that thast loose grip on one of the pins in the connector was causing everything to malfunction.
Of course this was after I paid for a complete rebuild of the original radio because that is what mother Honda said was the problem.
It all works now and i hope it continues to work for a while longer troubleshooting Honda style is expensive.
Good luck and I hope this helps in your troubleshooting.

·
Vendor
22,501 Posts
yellowtrike said:
I believe it started out as a stuck radio button - will double check today.

THANKS!
If you have a stuck button, it will lock up the audio unit and no functions will be able to be changed till you unstick the button. You description of the problem sounds very much like this is your problem.

Dirt and grit come up through the handle bar tunnels and get deposited inbetween the switches and the audio unit face and cause buttons to stick down when depressed.

·
Registered
17,383 Posts
My audio unit also got locked-up and then died. I took the unit out of the top shelter and removed the "buttons" and plastic button mat for a good cleaning; but it was clean. Re-assembled and just used the Garmin 2730 for music too. This winter I removed the left handle bar and found several wires in the bundle coming down from the top of that handle bar to be damaged where it exited the bottom. The back handle bar nut was just a little bit loose and was slowly chewing away at the wires. Three or four solder splices later the audio came back to life in all regards; CB and whole shoot'n match. So, if your bars have been off for modification or risers; then that could be the issue. I took care to re-route the bundles so as to avoid stress for stretch and binding, plus I set the bars back in with great care.

prs

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You better hope this problem is anything but a mouse that has been munching on the wires.
I had a tiney piece of road sand get caught in a button and that caused all sorts of "non function" issues.
The spray cleaner might cure your problem.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since it has been COLD in my garage I waited to try any kind of fix until yesterday evening.

Turned on the bike, tried the cb transmitt and the remainders of the buttons - all systems go. Haven't a clue why.

I will use the electronic cleaner today to make sure it stays working.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.