GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the left headlight was out on both high and low beam. I went out and replaced the bulb and that did not fix the problem. I pulled the fuse box cover and there was not a fuse for just the left light. At any rate, the fuses in the fuse box that had anything to do with headlights at all were OK. Any suggestions on what to check?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One other thing, the service manual does not indicate there is an adapter fitted to a standard H7 bulb so it fits into the headlight connector. Mine has an adapter between the H7 bulb and the wiring connector.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never mind. When I was fooling around with a test light checking the ground as suggested in post #2, the LH light light came on. I guess there was a bit of corrosion in the connector or adapter.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Never mind. When I was fooling around with a test light checking the ground as suggested in post #2, the LH light light came on. I guess there was a bit of corrosion in the connector or adapter.
Hi dduelin,
Think I know you from the NC700X forum...1wiseguy2 or NCguy

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
975 Posts
One other thing, the service manual does not indicate there is an adapter fitted to a standard H7 bulb so it fits into the headlight connector. Mine has an adapter between the H7 bulb and the wiring connector.
Yes, they all have adapters between the H7 bulb and the wire harness connector. I have seen the adapters fail due to high resistance in the electrical connection which caused high heat and subsequent adapter failure. Which in turn caused intermittent operation and then finally no light output at all. Replacing the adapter took care of the malfunction on that GL1800.

Reactions: Tex-Ed

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Same for the highbeam then? My brothers did that on a Wingding Billings trip. picked up new ones at the show.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, they all have adapters between the H7 bulb and the wire harness connector. I have seen the adapters fail due to high resistance in the electrical connection which caused high heat and subsequent adapter failure. Which in turn caused intermittent operation and then finally no light output at all. Replacing the adapter took care of the malfunction on that GL1800.
I'll probably replace both adapters of an abundance of caution but they look good with no obvious signs of overheating.

Thanks.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'll probably replace both adapters of an abundance of caution but they look good with no obvious signs of overheating.

Thanks.
If there are no obvious signs of overheating, then it is not necessarily what is causing your issue. Although, the connections do need to be inspected to make sure there is good contact to eliminate the adapters as the source of your problem.

Reactions: dduelin
1 - 11 of 11 Posts