GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, my F1 light came on my 2002 GW while on a 100 mile ride back home after a GWRRA chapter visit. I limped it home to retreive "code 26" (faulty left knock sensor) from the ecm. I installed a new sensor and went on a ride yesterday after replacement. It ran like it was brand new again. The wife even noticed how much smoother and responsive the bike was.

Only problem is, after about 75-80 miles of riding, the bike starting acting up as it did before and the F1 light came on again with the same code with the new $90 sensor installed. Needless to say, this winger is not happy. Anybody got any ideas or suggestions on how to resolve my issue since I have replaced the sensor already. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Just a wild guess ... any chance you have a connection that's vibrated loose ??? Maybe you didn't plug something in snugly ... :shrug:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Are you sure you have a good clean connection at the sensor? Check to make sure the sensor did not loosen during the ride. Although you can not see much of the wiring I would check as much as you can see for faults. A little late now but you could have changed the knock sensors (left and right) for a test to see if the code changed to the right side before ordering. This might still be a starting place.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its possible the clip connector is vibrating loose since you plug up into the sensor from underneath. But it seems to be pretty snug when I attached it? Hopefully it will be something that simple.

·
Banned
96 Posts
Had the same problem with my 01, but I put the right sensor in the left and the left in the right and the bike ran good for a short while but the problem came back. Followed the trouble shooing guide from shop manuel all wiring was good, only thing left was to replace the ecm, no more problems. Go with a new module from Honda and I'm sure your problem will be solved.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Had the same problem with my 01, but I put the right sensor in the left and the left in the right and the bike ran good for a short while but the problem came back. Followed the trouble shooing guide from shop manuel all wiring was good, only thing left was to replace the ecm, no more problems. Go with a new module from Honda and I'm sure your problem will be solved.
:agree:

One of my riding buddies just had the same code. He replaced the sensor and was still showing the code. I gave him my spare ECM and he has been running fine now for over 3 months.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
You have a bad ECM. Same thing happened to my 01 only it was codeing the right knock sensor. A knock sensor will not make the bike run bad. I assume yours runs rough when this happens. Mine sure did. I replaced my ECM with one off of this board.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Had the same thing on my ST1300. Swapped the sensors from left to right............problem remained the same, same code...... Bought a used ECM on ebay, fixed the problem .........I am now 10,000 miles past that point.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the good news! I have been told a new ecm is expensive. How much does a used one usually run for? Anyone out there got a used one for sale? Does it matter what year model? My bike is a 2002 without the overheating update. Hopefully it is a bad connection and will not need one. :?

Bike runs, but gas mileage is terrible and it runs smooth for a bit cruising and then runs like it has a misfire going on. change to a different speed, smooth for a bit goes to missing again. Afriad to go very far with this condition. Further you ride the worse it seems to be. :-(

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wondering if knock sensor is my problem. I've had a sporadic knock/ping after bike gets warmed up for several months now. Tried better fuel and Techron. It does seem that my fuel mileage is down a little bit too. But no light coming on. How hard are they to install and is it worth it to replace w/o light coming on?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Wondering if knock sensor is my problem. I've had a sporadic knock/ping after bike gets warmed up for several months now. Tried better fuel and Techron. It does seem that my fuel mileage is down a little bit too. But no light coming on. How hard are they to install and is it worth it to replace w/o light coming on?
They are very easy to replace. The one on the left can be changed without removing anything except the wire connector. This can be done using needle nose pliers. The right one is easier if you will remove the lower cowl. The manual says to remove the exhaust covers. It might be easier doing this but it is not necessary.Don't know the metric size (25mm guess) of the sensors but a six point 15/16" socket fits perfectly. A deep well is best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts