GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this look like the correct connector for tapping the power under the left pocket?

2-pin 2.8mm connector

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
545 Posts
Not quite -

Having just gone through the process of rewiring my GPS from the accessory terminals on the main fuse panel to the plug under the left front pocket I can positively tell you what is in your photo is the two pin plug for the auxiliary audio plug. The 12v power plug, which is located in the same rubber boot, is actually a three pin connector with the center pin removed. The existing male plug is red in color but the female part I used was same color as your two pin plug. You just reach into the pin area of your new three pin connector with a long skinny sharp object and compress the little part that locks the pin in and pull the center pin out. I had bought a bunch of two pin connectors in preparation for the job and was surprised to find I needed a three pin - no problem, my pile of spares had a three pin one in it - just goes to show you it pays to save all that old s___. Not to confuse the issue, but the plastic plug which contains the male pins is actually the female part of the plastic plug, the male part contains the female pin receivers. Good luck
Reg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree

Having just gone through the process of rewiring my GPS from the accessory terminals on the main fuse panel to the plug under the left front pocket I can positively tell you what is in your photo is the two pin plug for the auxiliary audio plug. The 12v power plug, which is located in the same rubber boot, is actually a three pin connector with the center pin removed. The existing male plug is red in color but the female part I used was same color as your two pin plug. You just reach into the pin area of your new three pin connector with a long skinny sharp object and compress the little part that locks the pin in and pull the center pin out. I had bought a bunch of two pin connectors in preparation for the job and was surprised to find I needed a three pin - no problem, my pile of spares had a three pin one in it - just goes to show you it pays to save all that old s___. Not to confuse the issue, but the plastic plug which contains the male pins is actually the female part of the plastic plug, the male part contains the female pin receivers. Good luck
Reg
+1

Eric

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Just buy a pre-made splitter, then you can have two places to plug in such as power socket and/or GPS or something else. I think I paid like 8 bucks for one. Might be 15 bucks now, but certainly much less hassle and easier to do.

Various places have that kind of thing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'll pick up the 3 pin version.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks BigMick. I found a similar deal on eBay.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Reg

I can positively tell you that you are wrong the AUX audio plug is also a 3 pin but a different type

1 - 9 of 9 Posts