GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003, no ABS, 107K miles. While on the interstate today, being buffeted by semis, the display suddenly decided the left door was open, it was not. Any thoughts on what is the likely culprit. First of my plans is to remove the cover over the latches and see if I can make the display go out by activating the switches by hand. After that??????

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
The door latch switch completes a ground when open and it's easy to test. For the covers, there's a tab that's not obvious you'll need to hook. You can get a look here:

>CLICK ME<

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
The door latch indication limit switches are reeeeeeal touchy to adjust. There are two of them up under the bag liner, and the linkage for the saddle bag unlatch is pretty twitchy to get aligned. Best thing to do is as indicated in the above posts - try opening and reshutting the bag.

Mine sometimes will indicate an open condition after getting something out of them and then hitting some of the great potholes around here. I just reach back and slap the door with my palm, that's usually enough to shove the door close enough in to clear the door open indication.

But like I mentioned - real twitchy on the adjustment of the switches and latches.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I reached back and slapped it before I stopped. The 107K that are on this bike are 99.99% mine. First I pushed firmly at both latch points to no avail and then I am ashamed to say that against my better judgment I did try slamming it, NEVER a good idea, again to no avail.

Waldo, not sure what I was supposed to see at that link but I didn't find it. I looked at the saddlebags light pics but didn't find any of the latch.
[EDIT]I went back and started actually reading your link instead of looking at the pretty pictures and found what you were referencing, thanks for that.[/EDIT]

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the latches cover and activated the latches with a couple of Phillips screwdrivers. Not matter how I pushed pulled or wiggled them could not get the display to show closed. Guess I need to figure out how to check the switches.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
unplug the switchs

I fiddled with mine for a couple of hours. Finally unplugged the switch. That was about a year or so ago. No worries.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fiddled with mine for a couple of hours. Finally unplugged the switch. That was about a year or so ago. No worries.

Rayjoe
Not exactly ideal but it may come to that, kinda think those warnings are a little pointless anyway.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Not exactly ideal but it may come to that, kinda think those warnings are a little pointless anyway.
Until your bag falls open on the super slab.

·
Vendor
21,887 Posts
Don't SLAM the lid to close it. That is why most folks have problems.

Open the door and look at where the latch hooks are mounted to it. Now place both hands on the door opposite the latches and PUSH it closed. As you compress the gasket seal you should hear each latch "click". The front latch takes just a little more pressure than the rear. If you close your bags in this manner (instead of slamming it), you'll never have a problem with it not latching.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't SLAM the lid to close it. That is why most folks have problems.

Open the door and look at where the latch hooks are mounted to it. Now place both hands on the door opposite the latches and PUSH it closed. As you compress the gasket seal you should hear each latch "click". The front latch takes just a little more pressure than the rear. If you close your bags in this manner (instead of slamming it), you'll never have a problem with it not latching.
Yep! Learned that from you back in 2004, I believe it was. :thumbup:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Riders (not all) have been plagued by this since the GL1800 was introduced, along with chaffing of the top case lid. The cases could/should be better than they are, IMO.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
If you have an ohm meter, you can unplug the switches and check for continuity when you push on them like the latch loop does when the lids are closed. The switch should read a short or continuity before you push it and then read an open or no continuity when they are pushed. If they fail to open when pushed, then it's a bad switch.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, curious update:

Last thing I did last night was to unplug the switches, the two, two wire connectors between the latches. This did not get rid of my errant display, I shut the bag and gave up for the night.

This morning, I go out and turn on the key and it shows bag closed. I open bag and check again, still shows bag closed. Ok, plug the two connectors back together and everything is working like it is supposed to...well not exactly.

I head out and first right turn I turn on the turn signal and don't see any dash indicator...ahhh, yes I do, very dim. Left one seems fine. When I get back home what I have is left signal is fine right signal dimly blinks everything, left signal, right signal, brake lights, probably headlights too but I didn't check that.

I think this tellers me that something is searching for ground, I am going to check on my trailer wires first but does this point to any particular circuit I should be looking at?

And yes, I have an ohm meter, I even use it correctly sometimes.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
Ok, curious update:

Last thing I did last night was to unplug the switches, the two, two wire connectors between the latches. This did not get rid of my errant display, I shut the bag and gave up for the night.

This morning, I go out and turn on the key and it shows bag closed. I open bag and check again, still shows bag closed. Ok, plug the two connectors back together and everything is working like it is supposed to...well not exactly.

I head out and first right turn I turn on the turn signal and don't see any dash indicator...ahhh, yes I do, very dim. Left one seems fine. When I get back home what I have is left signal is fine right signal dimly blinks everything, left signal, right signal, brake lights, probably headlights too but I didn't check that.

I think this tellers me that something is searching for ground, I am going to check on my trailer wires first but does this point to any particular circuit I should be looking at?

And yes, I have an ohm meter, I even use it correctly sometimes.
The green ground wire in the C15 connector under the seat. Corrosion causes it to melt the connector and may need a jumper wire soldered around the connector.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The green ground wire in the C15 connector under the seat. Corrosion causes it to melt the connector and may need a jumper wire soldered around the connector.

Thanks Gertrude, (auto correct,:roll: gotta watch it all the time), techdude, I'll check there first.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awwww crrraaappp!!!

BIG CLUE

100_1321_sized.jpg

DAMMIT!

100_1322_sized.jpg

Can probably tape up antenna and red wire going back to CB.

100_1325_sized.jpg

But this mess??

100_1329_sized.jpg

I can't believe I didn't have more problems.

Can I buy just this section coming into C15?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
BIG CLUE

DAMMIT!

Can probably tape up antenna and red wire going back to CB.

But this mess??

I can't believe I didn't have more problems.

Can I buy just this section coming into C15?
HOLY CRAP!!! Is that the harness coming from the front of the bike to C15, or is that the harness leaving it and heading to the back? If it's coming from the front, you would have to buy a new chassis harness $$$$$$ If that is going to the rear, you can replace the whole thing for a lot less $$$

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is leaving it going to the rear...good news??? (relatively speaking, :roll:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts