GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the fix for this left saddlebag not opening right (adjustment)?
Right side works fine, might be a warranty issue,but would rather save a trip to the dealer,and fix it myself if it's not a defective part that needs replaced,Thanks Randy

·
Registered
366 Posts
My new 1800 was only 12 weeks old when the left saddlebag started refusing to open. It released OK with the plunger under the hole in the trunk, but you soon get fed up doing that! Anyway, how embarrassing is it that you pay £22,000 for a bike [yes you lucky US guys - here in the UK it costs over $36,000 for a GL1800 with a few bits of safety chrome!] and the saddlebag only opens if you remove all the contents of your trunk and wiggle your finger in a hole!

I studied Fred Harmon's excellent details on how to fix this (http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/saddlebaglatch), but didn't really fancy removing the whole assembly and welding nuts under the cam mechanism. I held a thin screwdriver under the latch assembly and the saddlebag opened fine - thus verifying the cause as Fred states it (some of your force is being used to bend the cam downwards instead of rotating it).

So, after studying for a while, I came up with a solution which is working fine so far and only took a few minutes to implement. I cut a piece of thin wire from a coat hanger - it's about 8" long and the wire's diameter is about 1/16th of an inch. Starting from the right hand side (as you peer at the assembly leaning over the back of the trunk), I threaded this wire underneath ALL the cam assemblies (roughly in the middle of the whole shooting match), until it appeared on the left hand end having finally run through the area where Fred stuck his two nuts.

With a little bending at the ends, I was able to convince the wire to stay in place (semi-permanently, I think). Effectively, of course, it provides the same support as Fred's two nuts - and I must say the saddlebag now opens better than it ever did!

I have taken photos of my latch fix, after many people requested it. I have also enhanced one to highlight the wire. You can find the pictures on our website, which is:

http://www.NorthWalesWings.org.uk/

Once at the home page, chose the "Photos" section from the navigation bar on the left hand side. Then select the "Miscellaneous" album. In there, you will find a link to the "GL1800 left saddlebag fix" page.

Let me know if you try it, and how it works out. Others have told me it works great - and is quick.

And yes, I KNOW Honda should fix it under warranty - but that's a 200 mile round-trip every time!

·
Registered
21,049 Posts
Nice website you have there Big Wing!

A few months ago someone said that MAYBE Honda had a new improved latch asembly because they had a new part# but I don't recall if anyone ever found out what if any improvements were made?

·
Registered
47 Posts
This winter I replaced my left saddlebag due to a rear end collision. When I put the release cable back in I changed it to a different ridge on the accordian shaped plastic piece on the cable that connects inside the trunk. It adjusts the release somewhat and I'm not having trouble any longer.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
When I put the release cable back in I changed it to a different ridge on the accordian shaped plastic piece on the cable that connects inside the trunk. It adjusts the release somewhat and I'm not having trouble any longer.
I tried that on mine, one side it wouldn't open at all, the other side it opened fine, but then I found out why it opened so easily, it wasn't fully latching! I may try the rod idea, that looks like it might take some of the play out of the cam, it's the play in the cam that causes the problem.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,747 Posts
Left Saddle Bag Won't Open

First look at Fred Harmons pictures. Then remove the plastic cover in the trunk. Look at the cam that the cable connects too while you pull the release lever. Then place you finger on the top of the cam while you pull the release lever. You will see once the cam is supported and can't flex down when the release lever is pulled, the bag will open every time.

I fixed my left saddle bag using a variation of Fred Harmons fix. Instead of removing the mechanism, all I did, was to wedge a washer between the bottom of the cam and the backing plate to keep the cam from flexing down when the release lever is pulled. I used a thin piece of felt material with the washer to shim the washer so it would fit tight and stay in place. I also added a few drops of 80 weight oil between the washer and the cam.

Since I did this very easy mod, my left bag has worked flawlessly, in fact it has worked better than when I first brought the bike and has a much crisper feel to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts