GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to have the clearance so my rotor on left side passes thru the calipers. I’ve taken it on off several times and almost had clearance but when I torked the pivot bolt it lost what clearance I had. Any suggestions? I think I’ve read that once you torque it all down before Tightening pinch bolts you need to bounce the front wheel a little bit or try to shift the fork a little bit but it’s not working too well any suggestions on how to center it up better? Thanks please see pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's hard to tell from the photo, are both brake pads in the caliper? Did you pump the brake lever to seat the brake pads to the rotor before bouncing the front forks? The inner pad is not in contact with the rotor and I don't see the outboard brake pad that the caliper Pistons push against. That large space should not be possible unless the pads are worn out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info on process I’ll work on it and yes both pads are in u can’t see the outboard pad from the pic but it’s there. I’ll follow your directions to see if that helps. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If you have a Honda GL1800 tool kit, there is a gauge in a pocket on the backside of the tool kit ( a .7mm feeler gauge which is supposed to be used when setting the front end.

You MUST use ALL of the PROPER procedure when installing the front wheel on a GL1800 it is different than any other MC and could cause serious problems if not followed per manual.

As in your photo and stated in above post it looks like you do have something wrong!!!!!. I do not see any pads on the inside location of the caliper either. Looks like it has been running without inner pads???

You also have to relieve pressure in the system by opening the front brake master cylinder on the right handle bar so you can get both pads inner & outer in the caliper and room for the rotor.

(WATCH so you do not push pads in and force brake fluid out of "opened" master cylinder!!).

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Have you got the axle spacers on the correct sides? Have you pumped the brake so that the caliper slides across to centralise itself as the pistons push the pad against the disc?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I have the spacers on correctly i’ve been using the Fred Hartman videos and I’ve been watching very intently so I know I’m doing it right and I’ve double checked the spacers they won’t fit in the other side and the line on the axle seems to be lined up correctly. I pump my brakes bounce my forks but it’s still not enough clearance in the caliper for some reason. I did a full fork rebuild and its almost like my left fork needs to be just ever so slightly pushed out a tad more? Not sure. The other side is fine and has better clearance on each side of the caliper and I can see each brake pad on the other side. All pics attached are of the left side. If my caliper would push out some to give more space between the two but it doesn’t when I tighten the top joint bolt and pivot bolt. Both pads are set in and u can see the inner pad closest to the wheel but cant really see the putter pad and I have pumped my brakes and rocked my forks several times now. I’ve taken off the wheel 3 times now and redone it all and still no clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
OK, I see in the last pictures you've got pad contact with the disc now. So, have you got the wheel in backwards? Left side on the right?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
The disc will never be centered. You are looking for a .7mm clearance. According to my 07 owners manual with the left pinch bolts loose you should "pull the left fork outward or push inward to adjust the clearance". Oddly this info is not in the service manual.

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Unfortunately on some 5th gens when Centramatics are used, either the axle needs pushed in a little further so that the etch mark is inboard a little more, or that area of the caliper will need filed away, or the CentraMatics will need removed.

·
Registered
353 Posts
From the first picture in your post #7 it appears that you could still push the axle in a fraction (maybe 1/32") and still have the axle lined up correctly. That may be all of the clearance you need to get your minimum required rotor clearance.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Hope you fix your little problem good luck I know when I removed the centramatics on my 03 I noticed to align the axle is a simple procedure :thumbup:

·
Registered
364 Posts
This happens to me also.
I pull out on the slider enough to get the minimum amount of clearance.
I have not seen any problems with excessive bushing wear when doing this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I have a fork brace installed. I’m thinking loosen it then my forks will better line up when I bounce the forks. Thanks for the awesome feedback I gotta work today so I’ll work on it soon enough and let y’all know what worked.

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yes I have a fork brace installed. I’m thinking loosen it then my forks will better line up when I bounce the forks. Thanks for the awesome feedback I gotta work today so I’ll work on it soon enough and let y’all know what worked.
You will need to remove your fork brace to be able to slightly flex your fork tubes. Your not going to be able to flex the tubes with the brace installed. You will also need to follow the manufacturer's instructions to re-install the brace. It's very important to get the brace installed properly.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts