GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to head out on a 5 hour trip and after disconnecting the battery tender, can't get the left side cover to fit back on right. Seems to be hitting the battery bracket and is puled away 3/8" at the top. I removed the bracket and it still doesn't fit right but I think the cover is now deformed. Checked the battery number and it matched the bike.
Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had a similar issue...there's not a lot of room behind that cover and my Battery Tender connections (the fuse and the Y I use) were holding the cover out. I finally figured out how to get those pieces seated (aft of the mid-bracket) and it all fits properly again. It is a bit fiddley to get it to sit properly.
Also, I have used a semi-generous amount of silicone lubricant on the inner parts of the rubber grommets. That really helps seat things. (Maybe too much...LOL.)

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm getting ready to head out on a 5 hour trip and after disconnecting the battery tender, can't get the left side cover to fit back on right. Seems to be hitting the battery bracket and is puled away 3/8" at the top. I removed the bracket and it still doesn't fit right but I think the cover is now deformed. Checked the battery number and it matched the bike.
Anyone else experience this?
It's not hitting the battery.

It's hitting the white seat base pan.

Before trying to install the left side panel, get down next to the left side, find the white vertical seat pan post that sits just inside the front of the left saddlebag.
Push on the white vertical piece, and you will hear a pop as it releases the front of the saddlebag.

This is where it is hanging, and pushing out on the body plastic panel, not letting the side cover sit flush.
Jefro.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not hitting the battery.

It's hitting the white seat base pan.

Before trying to install the left side panel, get down next to the left side, find the white vertical seat pan post that sits just inside the front of the left saddlebag.
Push on the white vertical piece, and you will hear a pop as it releases the front of the saddlebag.

This is where it is hanging, and pushing out on the body plastic panel, not letting the side cover sit flush.
Jefro.
After you install the seat, the left part of the seat support bracket will hang up on the saddlebag plastic panel, pushing it out.
Jefro1, if your fix works it will be an amazing piece of fixing without seeing the actual bike. I am rooting for it.
That must have been the problem. I had the seat off the night before and must have screwed up getting it back on right.
I was already leaving when you posted this and by the time I got to my cabin in Eastern WV it was in place like normal.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Jefro1, if your fix works it will be an amazing piece of fixing without seeing the actual bike. I am rooting for it.
I have had the same problem after replacing the seat, and finally discovering that the vertical seat piece was snagging and pushing out the left side saddlebag plastic. This kept my side panel from fitting properly. And I nearly broke off the little tab trying to get the side panel back on.
It looks like the white vertical seat piece is actually a support behind the saddlebag plastic, to keep it from flapping around at 280kph.

It only happened a few times, but I was sure it was the battery bracket. It was not.
Took me a while to figure out that the seat bracket was pushing out the plastic panels.
Always glad to share my secrets about this new Wing!
Jefro.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Fascinating. Thanks for sharing. This is the type of thing that could take a long time to notice.

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to those that posted this information. I took the side cover off my month old 2018 Wing for the first time to program a new key fob. Spent over 30 minutes trying to get the side cover back on with proper alignment before I gave up. Checked YouTube but found nothing helpful. Then I searched this forum and found my answer. A quick inspection (now that I knew what to look for) revealed that my saddlebag bodywork was indeed hung up on the seat base. After I corrected that problem I was able to get the side cover back on and properly aligned within 30 seconds. Y’all saved me a trip to the dealer (my next course of action if I couldn’t get this figured out).

·
Registered
482 Posts
I "fixed this problem" that I was SURE was the additional wires added for heated gear... by taking the cover on and off about a dozen time adjusting the wires... sigh.... n0w I know..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Very helpful answer. Haven’t experienced this yet, but next time my cover is off I’ll pay attention to this.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
You can add me to the list of people who have experienced this as well. Very first time I pulled my seat off to add the backrest, and I tried to button everything back up, I couldn't get the left cover to go in far enough to line up with the reset of the bodywork. Took me several minutes to realize that it was the other body work which had been pinched. It was by complete accident when I was trying to "persuade" everything back together, that it popped back out, and the left cover was able to fit properly again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts