GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20004 gl1800 se , I am haveing a problem with the left side saddel bag . I can not get it to open . I have used the search tool but most of the problems there are with adjusting bags that can be opened . I have tried opening it from inside the top trunk , did not work , I have tried adjusting the cabel from inside the top trunk, did not work . I talked to my dealer and all they said is bring it in ,we will look at it , for $90 a hr . I would appreciate any help from anyone with this problem .

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
My 04 had the same exact problem. I tried the second ring on the cable etc. What I found was my tab had bent so the pull was not going forward but up. I must've bent it with my super human strength. If you follow the pull lever out to the green elbow, you might find it bent in away that doesn't afect the movement of the cable. So it doesn't release the locks. So I just bent it back down and now it pulls straight and the door opens.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
I have a 20004 gl1800 se , I am haveing a problem with the left side saddel bag . I can not get it to open . I have used the search tool but most of the problems there are with adjusting bags that can be opened . I have tried opening it from inside the top trunk , did not work , I have tried adjusting the cabel from inside the top trunk, did not work . I talked to my dealer and all they said is bring it in ,we will look at it , for $90 a hr . I would appreciate any help from anyone with this problem .
Question: when you pull the handle, does it have any "resistance"?
(that is, does it "feel" like right side pull and the trunk pull?)
..No?: the cable attach clip is probably broken.
(remove the cover from inside trunk back and check the green clip that attaches the cable to the pull handle.. you can get a new one from Honda or most auto parts stores)
(NAPA Door Lock Clip #735-2637)

..Yes?: the cable probably needs adjustment

Try:
1) remove the cover from inside trunk back and move the cable to the next position in the yellow clip.
(if that doesn't work, trying grabbing the cable with pliers and pulling it to see if that will open the saddlebag)

or
2) To open a "stuck closed" saddlebag:
Lay on the ground like you're going to check the air in the back tire.
Look up at the bottom of the saddle bag.
You can see the hinges that hold the saddlebag on..

.. with a very small "right angle" or "ratchet" screwdriver

you can remove the hinge screws and access the trunk from the bottom.
The lid will dangle from the latching mechanism but you can reach your hand inside.
.. usually, once you do that, you can jiggle, push, pull the lid while pulling the handle and it will open.
Once you get it open, check the posts on adjusting the cable attach points at the TOP of the saddle bag.. (it's usually the front one).
(http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1680632&postcount=11)

If, jiggling, pushing, pulling does NOT let you fully open the saddlebag,
you'll have to remove the TOP inside cover with the saddlebag still half closed to access the cable adjustment.
.. not advised if you've not done it before.

Dennis

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
What Dennis said, but I would watch him if he says something is blue, I would not listen to him. :joke:
But if the cable is snapped or the internal latch in the trunk is loose , all you can do is take the bottom of the bag apart, reach up in there and get it open. Then fix all that needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you everyone ,

you guys are awsome , your help solved the problem . i removed the screws from the bottom hinges and reached up inside with a long screwdriver and removed the lockeing bracket . the door came right off . It looks like the screw that goes in from the back of the bag that holds the locking mechanism came loose . when i tried to open the bag the whole thing would move . tightened up the screw with some locktight put it all back togeather . works o.k .the only thing is now the open bag warning light goes on . going on 3 day ride so i just disconnected the wires inside the bag . will finish when i get back . thanks for your help ,you saved the day .

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
glad you got it...:thumbup:

.. tightened up the screw with some locktight put it all back togeather
as a general rule, no locktite on any of the wing plastic parts.. it will weaken the plastic...
the only thing is now the open bag warning light goes on
that would be fixed by adjusting the front latch at the the top of the saddle bag..
.. no worries now... tinker when you get back from your trip..

Dennis

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks a ton guys. I love this forum for it's tremendous knowledge base. Left side has been getting more and more sticky for the past year. Tonight I tried to open the left saddlebag where the bungies are and...nothing. Had to leave my large print calendar roll at work. Came home, replaced the battery in the van did a quick search for this problem moved the clip up one notch and voila! just like the right side.:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
stuck left bag door

Question: when you pull the handle, does it have any "resistance"?
(that is, does it "feel" like right side pull and the trunk pull?)
..No?: the cable attach clip is probably broken.
(remove the cover from inside trunk back and check the green clip that attaches the cable to the pull handle.. you can get a new one from Honda or most auto parts stores)
(NAPA Door Lock Clip #735-2637)

..Yes?: the cable probably needs adjustment

Try:
1) remove the cover from inside trunk back and move the cable to the next position in the yellow clip.
(if that doesn't work, trying grabbing the cable with pliers and pulling it to see if that will open the saddlebag)

or
2) To open a "stuck closed" saddlebag:
Lay on the ground like you're going to check the air in the back tire.
Look up at the bottom of the saddle bag.
You can see the hinges that hold the saddlebag on..

.. with a very small "right angle" or "ratchet" screwdriver

you can remove the hinge screws and access the trunk from the bottom.
The lid will dangle from the latching mechanism but you can reach your hand inside.
.. usually, once you do that, you can jiggle, push, pull the lid while pulling the handle and it will open.
Once you get it open, check the posts on adjusting the cable attach points at the TOP of the saddle bag.. (it's usually the front one).
(http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1680632&postcount=11)

If, jiggling, pushing, pulling does NOT let you fully open the saddlebag,
you'll have to remove the TOP inside cover with the saddlebag still half closed to access the cable adjustment.
.. not advised if you've not done it before.

Dennis

i had a stuck left saddlebag door, and after looking at this thread i was able to fix it. all mine needed was a readjustment for the cable, and it worked. thanx for the pic also

[email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Left Saddelbag

There is a Honda recall for the left saddle bag. The dealer will replace the actuator rod and clip. I had the same problem and went by the dealer on Saturday. They ordered the parts and will replace at no charge.

·
Registered
887 Posts
There is a Honda recall for the left saddle bag. The dealer will replace the actuator rod and clip. I had the same problem and went by the dealer on Saturday. They ordered the parts and will replace at no charge.
That's right, (service bulletin) #15, covers all 1800's (No $90.00 hr.
it;s free..

There' different problem's for different yrs. but covers them all,
And the new clip is blue.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had the same issue with my '06. Dropped by the local dealer, he had the part that needed to be replaced, came out to the parking area and fixed it in 10 minutes. No charge. Covered by recall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts