GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Friday we left for the BRP.We made it to south of Lexington . We stopped to take a break.Guess what, As I was pulling into a gas station it started grinding.After checking it out I found the drive coupling loose.After some help from some local rider's they got us to a camp ground. We hauled it home on a trailer.
What's going to break next? :22yikes:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Can't help ya with the "what's next" issue, but as I am sure you have seen, there has been a great deal of discussion here about some issues with the CSC drive line. Sorry to hear that yours acted up while trying to get what sounded like a nice trip in, but at least you were able to get it home. A call to the CSC folks at the factory would be a good idea and I am sure they will be more then happy to try and help ya out with it.

There have been a few guys who have reported here that there were no signs of problems early on. I know in my case, when I yoke was starting to go, it let me know big time.

Keep us posted on how this is working out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New drive coupling

The splines were wore gone,not supprised about that. I talked the tech when I toke it in. After He got it apart he said there was some grease left in there.
Thinking about butting a grease zert on the slip yoke.Has anyone else done this ?
thanks butch:shrug:

·
Registered
999 Posts
What splines were worn out, the ones on the factory honda shaft, or the splines in the CSC coupling?

I was at my dealer watching the mechanic that is going to do my new conversion next month and I watched him grease the shaft and coupling.

I commented on the fact that I was surprised that CSC used the factory drive shaft as I thought it was a little "undersized" for the additional weight of as trike. He said if a failure occurred on a road trip any Honda dealer would be able to get you a shaft. I told him that was assuming that CSC's coupling would not fail. If I was to bet..............I'd bet the factory Honda shaft didn't fail.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
What splines were worn out, the ones on the factory honda shaft, or the splines in the CSC coupling?

I was at my dealer watching the mechanic that is going to do my new conversion next month and I watched him grease the shaft and coupling.

I commented on the fact that I was surprised that CSC used the factory drive shaft as I thought it was a little "undersized" for the additional weight of as trike. He said if a failure occurred on a road trip any Honda dealer would be able to get you a shaft. I told him that was assuming that CSC's coupling would not fail. If I was to bet..............I'd bet the factory Honda shaft didn't fail.
It is the short shaft supplied by CSC that is failing. The splines are too soft. They then twist till they no longer grab. :eek:4: I know from first hand experience! Tom :biker:

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
My driveline failure was the female splines in the Honda driveshaft. Clean as a whistle. The CSC male spline was fine. Fortunately it happened within 4 miles of home at the end of a 300 mile ride most of which was out in the boonies along the coast.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was the CSC shaft. I'm thinking about getting one for a spare.
As far as the honda drive shaft goes.Some of the dealer's I talked to said they would not touch it beacause it was converted from two wheel's to a trike.
I will be carring the list of CSC dealer's on my next road trip.
I got it back friday. We rode about 200 miles today. Drive line is quite.:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts