GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went in for Dr appointment for a clot in my left leg, we were plannin* on a vein graph. Be fore we even left the exam room my Dr came back and had us follow him to where he was looking at ultra sound picture of my leg. He was checking out all possibilities to help avoid the vein graph. At his suggestion Wednesday, October 17th at 8am, he is going to try and rotor rooter, his words, it to open it up to get more blood flow. Having him checking this out before we left has given me confidence that he must feel their is a good chance to open the vein up. It is to buy time before doing a graph which if it eventually fails their are not many options. Worst case scenario is amputation. I have been keeping good vibes that it will work.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have dealt with severe DVT's in both legs. Left leg in 2002 and right in Nov. 2017.
Ultrasound operator didn't understand why I wasn't admitted into the hospital in 2017 like I was in 2002. Vein was full of clots.
This time Doc had me on Zarelto for 3 months and at the same time I tried natural to dissolve clots. FRESH pineapple especially the core. Chestnutleaf extract liquid externally and internally. Took a while to help.
I try not to squat very long when working on vehicles like I had been.

Leg is much better. I wear compression socks most of the time.
Wish ultrasound wouldn't be so expensive or I would have it done again to actually see the results.
Makes no sense but my doc had tests done for clotting and they came up fine and insurance doesn't want to pay for tests. What?????
How can they be fine?
I think he would have put me on thinner all the time and insurance would pay then.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
Just curious . While riding do you move / excersise your legs. I dont "think " i have any issues yet . I try n do leg excersice while riding long trips 600 + trips use hwy pegs etc to stretch / push to keep blood flowing. Do you have to worry about blood clots moving ? Like to the lung / brain ? Or are they more like closed/blocked veins

·
Registered
455 Posts
=Do you have to worry about blood clots moving ? Like to the lung / brain ?
YES, to the lungs.
It's called a pulmonary embolus, it's one of the most dangerous, most likely to be fatal problems you can have. The survival rate is quite low.

I'm healthy, but I wear compression socks when driving, riding, or flying long periods. I've had patients with PEs die right in front of me, with nothing we could do.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Left leg is blocked and not moving. Thank you all who replied. I have a little feeling about having it done. I’ll have to remember that about the compression socks. And yes I push and stretch on my hiway pegs. It does help.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I went to my Dr couple weeks ago and he tried to do an angioplasty but vein was to blocked and couldn’t get thru. He did say that he could tell from the monitor that my arteries were starting to branch out and will get more blood where it needs to be. He also said that the discomfort I feel is actually a good thing. It means it is trying to do what we want it to do. I go back in 6 months and will see how it goes. He also said I would know it is working as the discomfort gets less and less. For me it means no surgery wihch I DON’T want to do. I have been doubling down on working my legs to get things moving better.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Hopefully, none of y'all are smokers. Dunno how I dodged the bullet on smoking, but I just never started it. Whatever the health problem, smoking only seems to exacerbate it, so I am told.

·
Registered
952 Posts
No surgery is good news. Keep exercising.

With this crappy weather and not being outside in the garden or whatever i am getting lazy and need to run up and down the basement steps or something.. Oh wait i do that a lot every time i forget what i went down there for the first time.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Just a suggestion here: (ask your doctor first for permission) Buy a set of headphones, play your favorite music, and take a nice walk every morning... start slow, and then increase your distance every day...
I'm now 68 years old, and walk every morning 3- 5 miles a day... Even in the cold weather..........I'm leaving this morning, to head to the Vermont mountains, to go snow skiing for the next five days.....

LIFE IS GOOD!
Even when my baby is in hibernation for the cold season

Ronnie

Reactions: CAWing and JoeHall

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Dr has said more excerisewill help. I have a incumbent bike I use 5 days a week and just short of 700 miles on it, for however accurate it is. I was switching from bike to tread mill but now I have a bad arthritic right hip. I am getting a shot in it in a week to postpone replacement. I’ve been in hospital for last 5 winters with left hip,right hip has screws in it, right knee replaced and kidney stone that had to be broken up with a laser. I have confidence in the shot. Have had them before and have worked very well. If for what ever reason it doesn’t, I will have it done. My activetyhasslowed because of right hip and can’t wait to get back to moving better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts