GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use the Baker Leg Wings? Do they help keep the cold air off and warm air in?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Yes, I use them and they work as advertised. I use the full set in the winter and take off the foot wings in the warmer weather, leaving every thing else on and manipulating the wings as needed for air flow.:yes1:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Yes, I am about to take them off for this year. In the winter the leg and foot wings work great keeping my feet warm from the vents in the side cowl opening. Now its too hot to have them on as I want all the air I can get now.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I ride with the Hand Wings, Air Wings with lowers and Leg Wings year round. I find that the Leg Wings keep the heat away from my legs in the summer.

I have never tried the Foot Wings.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I ride with the Hand Wings, Air Wings with lowers and Leg Wings year round. I find that the Leg Wings keep the heat away from my legs in the summer.
:thumbup:

I had mine off for a trip to Arizona back in '02. My legs were roasting. They have never been off the bike since.

Foot wings work the same for me on the 1800. But I like Tulsa Hot Foot better.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Anyone use the Baker Leg Wings? Do they help keep the cold air off and warm air in?
I had the Leg Wings for a couple of years or so until one of them broke off. Rather than fix it, I rode with one on and one off for a year. Personally I couldn't tell much difference except that I no longer had to clean the one on the side where it was missing. (That is supposed to be funny) So why have them? I chose to take the other one off too. That was much better all around. I'll never have them again. As far as I'm concerned the same is true of the Foot Wings (they're a joke). And as far as the regular Baker (side) Wings, they do work but they are so ugly I took them off for just that reason plus cleaning them was a pain. As far as I'm concerned, it's the Baker Hand Wings that do the most good in the cold and the most good in the hot weather too. Yes, the Hand (mirror) Wings are the best of all, they look fine and they really work, plus they can be cleaned fairly easily and quickly. Also, the Hand Wings can be installed in minutes by anyone.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
It's kind of funny how different two person's expereinces of the same product can be. The Baker Hand, Leg, and Foot Wings were the very first thing I put on the bike, before I rode it home.

In hot weather, I have to pull the leg and foot wings off because they make my legs and feet too hot. If I put my hand down while I am riding, I can distinctly tell the difference in airflow over my leg with and without the leg wings.

With the foot wings, I can ride with Smart Wool socks from temperatures of 30F and up. Without them, below 55F or so have my feet freezing.

A huge benefit to me with the wings is how well they deflect rain. If I am on a lightely traveled road, in the rain, I can skip a rain suit bottom. On a heavily traveled road, spray from other vehicles will still soak me.

I leave the Hand Wings on year round, as they can be rotated to direct air toward the rider, and work better than a vented windshield, IMO. Much like the foot and leg wings, the hand wings allow me to get away with MUCH lighter gloves than would otherwise be the case. I found that out the hard way when I popped one of them off while backing my bike out of a tight spot. The hand without the wing was freezing, even with the grip heaters on, while my other hand was fine.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I have the full set on my '02 Wing - hand, leg and feet. I had them installed at Wing Ding 07 and absolutely love them! Riding here in Canada is often cold and rainy. They made a huge difference - especially when it is raining hard! Now I barely get wet and love the extra air flow in the summer! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I have the whole set of Baker wings on my bike and really like them...I broke one of my Baker leg wings while cleaning,so I took both of the leg wings off it was like day and night???to me... Hotter in the summer without them, colder in the winter without the baker legs and wetter without...I ordered new plastic and like my ride with the baker leg wings

·
Registered
90 Posts
Foot Wings

Yes, love them and leave them on all year-round, definitely keep you cooler in the summer and I live in Ga. Lots of riding in high heat the last 2 summers.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have the full set, hands, side and foot. I put the foot wings on in the fall so not sure how they will be in the summer, but they seemed to help keep the cold from blowing on my feet in the winter.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Yeah it is interesting how we can have different experiences. I too broke one and took the other off. It was winter and I immediately noticed the difference with the type of gear I wear. I also thing they keep me cooler in the summer when the engine heat is extreme here in Arizona. I leave mine on year round. JMO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts