GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been playing around with the adjustable positions on my Kuraykan highway pegs (came on the used 2008 I bought). I'm way more used to floorboards from riding my Ultra Glide. I never seem to be able to find the sweet spot for these and while testing them out, a question came to mind to ask here. I am wondering if anyone ever had a leg slip off their highway peg at speed and what happened? In my limited experience I have to be mindful of my legs out there and thought if my leg ever came off at speed it could be a real "Oh Fine" moment.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Nope, I try to put a slight angle on mine to keep that from happening.

Reactions: Crookster

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Never had a foot slip off, but I have had an "OH POOP" moment with Kury's. Played with the adjustment trying to get my legs stretched out just right. I found what seemed like the position only to find they'd hook the pavement with very little lean. I decided less than perfect position was far superior to eating pavement, and quickly moved them back up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not so far, but I’ve only been practicing for about 15 years.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
So far no slip off, but the Rivco pegs I got rid of because I could not get that comfort zone because I felt my foot would easily slip off them. I was concentrating so much on keeping my foot placed when using them it distracted from me enjoying my ride.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far no slip off, but the Rivco pegs I got rid of because I could not get that comfort zone because I felt my foot would easily slip off them. I was concentrating so much on keeping my foot placed when using them it distracted from me enjoying my ride.
Yeah, that kinda describes where I'm at with these right now. But without them, after a couple of hours my knees are barking for relief and I'm still not ready for a fuel stop.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have the long ****-O-Pegs that mount vertically on the foremost part of the engine guard. They're well up out of the way when stowed, but when my feet are on them after a few hours I can "lose positional awareness" of where my feet are and I've momentarily gotten spooked about one slipping off.

So I move my feet a bit to reassure myself they're still firmly planted.

But, in that moment I've thought it would be very bad to have a foot come off, hit the pavement, slam back into the actual footpeg (or worse, the passenger footboard, if deployed), and where things would go from there...!

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
I have the long ****-O-Pegs that mount vertically on the foremost part of the engine guard. They're well up out of the way when stowed, but when my feet are on them after a few hours I can "lose positional awareness" of where my feet are and I've momentarily gotten spooked about one slipping off.

So I move my feet a bit to reassure myself they're still firmly planted.

But, in that moment I've thought it would be very bad to have a foot come off, hit the pavement, slam back into the actual footpeg (or worse, the passenger footboard, if deployed), and where things would go from there...!

@tamathumper Yea, I shudder just thinking about that scenario:frown2:

Reactions: tamathumper

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Never had a foot slip off, but I have had an "OH POOP" moment with Kury's. Played with the adjustment trying to get my legs stretched out just right. I found what seemed like the position only to find they'd hook the pavement with very little lean. I decided less than perfect position was far superior to eating pavement, and quickly moved them back up.
I wonder if we have the same boards. I have dragged our boards quite a few times (especially the left, must be the high road crowns of Florida). lucky as I increase a lean the following will occur:

1. floorboard lifts as it is supposed to
2. peg drags and then lifts
3. something hard drags

When I know I'm going into a curvy section I will not use the boards and I will hang my toes outward as a sensor.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I used the 2018 model MOPs last year and was shocked at how easily my boot heels dragged on the pavement even through the easy sweepers of I-70 through Glenwood Canyon.

The MOPs are long gone and good riddance!

Replaced them with National Cycle/Paladin comfort bars and installed black RIVCO ISO pegs on the long optional (76mm) extensions I added.

The RIVCO pegs have an adjustable set screw that complements the adjustment screw in the longitudinal center of the pegs. That combination allows me to rotate the flat area of the pegs to the correct angle of my boot soles and angle the pegs upward on their outboard ends so that I can relax without having to worry about slipping off sideways (unless I fall asleep:surprise:)

Nothing is perfect but the installation is entirely adequate for my purposes (I only need the ability to stretch out from time to time as my knees/derriere dictate).

Has the additional benefit of being almost invisible (ordered the bars and extensions in black) so as not to detract from the bike's aesthetics.

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
On my 14 i use board type ( looks like big foot shape ) has heel stop on it so they dont fall off.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
In rain on freeway I had right foot slip after standing puddle bottom of foot had slight bounce and I lifted it real quick no loss of control except my shorts. It was a lot spookier than control issue

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Depends also on the kind of footwear. I like to rest the arch of the sole on the pegs. Just fwd if the heel. It has sometimes taken me multiple adjustments to get it just right, but once I find the spot… it's golden.
Once there, I have not had any slip issues. But then, my feet aren't usually up on those pegs for long periods of times either. On long rides, I switch back and forth.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Last summer my left foot slipped of the foot peg as I was downshifting my ST-1300. My big toe hit the pavement about about 40 mph and bounced back. My toe and part of my foot were not a pretty sight for more than a month. I could elaborate, but it's too sickening.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts