GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out riding today , temps in the low 40's . and my feet were getting ,kinda cold . I was thinking about adding a set of Baker or Tulsa footwings. Do these both work (and install) about the same ?
I also noticed that Baker also has something they call a Leg wing????
It mounts up a bit higher . Any body have experience with these in the cold weather? Do they kind of, pick up were the foot wings leave off?
Please note that i was wearing my heavy hunting boots , and wool socks, i'm just one of those people that have a hard time keeping my feet warm .And i have tried just about every combination of socks .liners, felt pacs , you name it . I don't plan on riding in any 20 degree weather :shock: :shock: :shock: I think i would have been ok today if i could have kept a little more wind off of my feet.
thanks
Joe.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Joe, buy what ever you want, but.....if you want to stay warm, go electric!!!

I bought the Gerbing's setup, jacket liner, pants liner, gloves and socks.
I'll never be cold again, they are GREAT!!!!

I have heated seats and grips on the new Wing, but they can't hold a candle to the Gerbings, no way!

Expensive, yeah a little, but how warm do you want to be??? If you're going to ride in the 20's, I would highly suggest electrics. Plus, you can take it off any bike when traded in or sold and remount it on the new ride..

Maybe start out with the jacket liner and gloves, or jacket and socks if that's where you're the coldest...also get the thermostat, makes life easy.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Joe, First I have the baker foot wings and I think what I have are called the leg wings. The Leg wings attach to the vertical crash bar and run up and down the crash bar keeping wind off the lower leg portion.

With that being said, I get the best warmth for my extremities by keeping my trunk warm with heated clothing. It appears that when the body is warm it keeps the extremities warm. It the body gets cold it works harder to warm it and leaves the extremities on their own. If you are not using a vest or jacket liner, I would highly recommend it.

I also recommend the foot and leg wings from Baker. You can't see the foot wings so they don't matter and the leg wings are not very obtrusive to the overall look of the bike.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ron , KyBlue
Thanks. for the info .
I doubt i would ever buy any of the heated clothing, first off i don't do much in the line of cold weather riding. Second , they are pretty far out of my price range, especially for the amount i would us it.
My upper body, hands etc were fine while riding yesterday, i have plenty of warm clothing , hunting up here in northeast Pa. in Dec, Jan, gets pretty cold.
Just thought that if i could keep some of the wind off of my feet i would be ok, and wondered if the footwings, leg wings worked as advertised.
thanks
Joe.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Tulsa hot feet work pretty good for me. I don't think they pick up much heat off the exhaust, but they do seem to reflect the wind away from your feet. Tim

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
i've got the tulsa hot feet on my bike.

I can feel the difference in warmth.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Joe,
I have spent a bit of time in the snow and I agree with Ron, the most important thing is to keep your body core warm. I use Gerbings heated jacket liner and also heated gloves. It is also important to keep cold air from going down your neck and to keep your head warm. I rode home from Spokane, WA last Wednesday morning. It was 34 degrees. When I started I did not realize it was that cold. By the time I pulled over to put on Gerbings jacket and gloves my fingers were already numb. After setting the thermostat I was never cold the rest of the morning, that includes feet and I don't have any footwings or legwings. I do wear boots and polypropolyne socks.

With Christmas coming up Gerbings makes a nice present. It did for me in 2004.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Tulsa Hot Foot keep my feet from getting cold.

I had Bakers on my 1500 for a short while. Every time I'd drag the pegs the foot wings would pop out of place. I also managed to break one the first time riding with them.

I have Tulsas' on my 1800. They drag about the same time as the pegs but stay in place. They work very well. They also mount closer to your feet than the Bakers'. I wear the same boots and socks at 25 degrees as I do at 90. Hot Foot pops on and off in a minute.

I love them!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I too am interested in the differing opinions on thest two items, and also how they differ in installation.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Baker wings

I have a full set of Baker's. They seem to do a good job. I rode this morning mid to high 40's. The upper thighs and thumbs got a little cool. My ridding gear was Belstaf jacket w/liner, jeans, heavy gloves and summer riding boots. With the same riding attire, I would say with the Baker's you can ride in about 10 degrees cooler temps than without.

The leg and foot wings are very easy to put on, or take off. If the foot wings get in the way in the twisties, snap them off and put in trunk.

Moby

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have Baker wings the full set. As for the leg wings they do a great job on the lower leg but I am not overly impressed with the foot wings. They help with cold and rain but if I was going to do alot of cold weather riding I think I would give the Tulsa's a try.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had the same complaint as the original poster, and after reading responses on this board, opted for the Tulsa Hot Foot lowers and Baker Leg Wings and Mirror Wings (I heard the Tulsa Hot Foot units were more rugged than Baker's version). I'm very happy with this setup, especially when joined with Gerbings heated jacket liner, pants liner, and G-3 gloves. I don't turn the electric power on until it really gets cold.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies. i will probably be ordering up a set of the Tulsa footwings tomorrow. I might even try the Baker leg wings later on, after i see how the Tulsa's work out . I really didn't have a problem with my legs getting cold , just my feet.
thanks
Joe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts