GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to purchase the EC fog lights from Honda Direct during its sale. I want to purchase the Platinum series kit, which includes everything.

I have a question about the choice of lenses? The Plantinum series comes with the clear lens. Not to be mistaken with lens guard. However do I have a choice on what lens I can pick with the platinium kit because there are also the following lenses: clear; ion, hyper white and super white.

So can I pick and choose with the Platinum series or am I stuck with the clear lens??

What's the best choice of lens (clear, ion, hyper white and super white)? I want something that will provide addtional lighting to the road.

Thanks.

Zeebo

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
zeebo said:
I am planning to purchase the EC fog lights from Honda Direct during its sale. I want to purchase the Platinum series kit, which includes everything.

I have a question about the choice of lenses? The Plantinum series comes with the clear lens. However do I have a choice on what lens I pick because there are also the following lenses: clear; ion, hyer white and super white.

So can I pick and choose with the Platinum series or am I stuck with the clear lens??

What's the best choice of lens? I want something that will provide addtional lighting to the road.

Thanks.

Zeebo
Mine came with both clear and amber lenses.

Dennis

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wingwing said:
zeebo said:

I have a question about the choice of lenses? The Plantinum series comes with the clear lens. However do I have a choice on what lens I pick because there are also the following lenses: clear; ion, hyer white and super white.

What's the best choice of lens? I want something that will provide addtional lighting to the road.

Thanks.

Zeebo
Mine came with both clear and amber lenses.

Dennis
Thank for the reply Dennis. I edited my message to make it a little more clearer. I'm not taking about the len covers (which I think you are, I believe 2 covers come witht he Platinum series), but I'm taking about the actually lens which the bulb enters. I believe these lenses are designed to be either white, hyper white, ion or super white.

I'm not sure if I have a choice...or maybe I should just forgo the platinum series and take just the Ion or Super white and live with the different switch.

Have a good one.

Zeebo

F

·
0 Posts
I bought the Platinum Series Super White shown here:
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =478052163

I couldn't be happier not only with the quality of product, but also performance. These lights are BRIGHT and I'm positive they do help get me noticed. They also provide much needed light directly in front and to the sides of the Wing where its a bit dark when running high beams.

Looking at the Platinum Series on HDL, they only come as the "Super White. The other lights you're looking at are not the "Platinum" series.

Mike

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I chose the ion because I think the contrast of the yellowish lights helps you get noticed more.I also think the yellow is better to help you see in the fog.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
zeebo said:
I'm not taking about the len covers (which I think you are),
ooppsss, yes I was
but, in my weak defense,
only because I did not know there was a choice of color for the actual glass part of the lens itself ...

do they come in colors?

Mine are REALLY bright and since I don't have any immediate plans to ride in actual fog very much, I've wired them with the high beams
(though, I can still have the high beams without them).

During the day when approaching intersections I flip the high beams and fogs on and off with the high-beam switch on the handlebar and I think it makes the bike VERY visible.

thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
405 Posts
Only the Hyper and Platinum lights share the same bulbs. They have different lenses, but both are clear. The Platinum kit is the top of the line, and includes the OEM light switch and lens guards. Check this link:
http://electricalconnection.com/driving ... 0-perf.htm
I have (and recommend) the Platinum lights. They are very bright and increase your visability. My stock headlights went out on an unlighted road in Arizona one night and my Platinum lights saved the day.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Only the Hyper and Platinum lights share the same bulbs."[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification and feedback.

Zeebo

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Thanks for the clarification and feedback. Zeebo
Zeebo,
... if it's any help in visualizing
... when I turn on the EC Platinum lights they make my wing high beams look "yellow".

The EC lights seem VERY white, nearly blueish, to me.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Mike Simonetti said:
My stock headlights went out on an unlighted road in Arizona one night and my Platinum lights saved the day.
Mike,
wondering ...
does EC makes any kind of emergency override option?

right now my EC lights are controlled by the high beam circuit and that's good for me when everything is working
... but it sure would be nice to have the EC lights be able to operate independently if the lighting circuits on the wing went bad like yours.

I know I can wire them to work from the OEM switch but I like being able to flash both high beams and fog lights with just a flick of the low beam high beam switch.

?

Dennis

·
Registered
405 Posts
Dennis, EC provides three alternate wiring options. Most states allow no more than four lights in the front of the bike to be illuminated at any one time. Therefore most users chose to have the lights work with either the high or low beams. I chose the third option that gives me complete control. That was fortunate, as the EC lights were burning when the stock lights blinked out. The paragraph from EC's instructions reads as follows: "No requirement (lights can be operated anytime the key is on). Locate the shiny black rubber boot which is in the bottom right corner of the switch panel mounting hole on the fairing. Open the boot up to expose the connectors. Plug the four pin connector from the switch into the unused black connector. Reconnect the large grey connector for the switch panel." I'm sure Lewis from EC will help you out if you need help to reconfigure your wiring. Contact EC at: telephone: 865.219.9192 facsimile: 865.219.9292. Good luck.
[/b]

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Mike Simonetti said:
Dennis, EC provides three alternate wiring options
Mike,
Thank you.

I understand that.

I know I can wire the EC lights so they can be controlled solely by the EC OEM type switch ... but I rewired the connector per the EC diagram so when the OEM switch AND the Hi-Beam switch are on, the fog lights will come on. ... I did that so I could have the convenience of being able to really light up the front of the bike when approaching busy intersections.
Now, just flipping the Hi-Beam does that.

But after having read your post I began thinking that having the EC lights as a backup made a lot of sense also ... (planning a trip out west next summer)

The question (suggestion?) was about having it both ways.
I think with a single pole double throw switch "hidden" in the pocket I could have the EC lights work the way I want but in the event of goldwing lighting circuit failure, I could revert to having them the way you do.

just one of those random "like to have" ideas ...

Dennis

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
For the Lense covers, I added the Yeollow and I've been told that they Really Break up the Lighting to be more Visiable!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Dennis, your idea would be an improvement on any of the standard configurations. Please post the results if you try it, as I'm sure other riders on this board will find it of value. As to the failure of my stock lighting system, it lasted for only about one minute before the lights came back on by themselves. It was a very long minute! The failure never repeated. The dash lights did not go out. I posted a question about it on this board and the consensus was that it was most likely a stuck starter switch. The bike was only three months old at the time. Anything we can do to tip the odds in our favor while on an extended road trip is good insurance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts