GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left this morning for a 3 week trip. 5 hours into the ride, A QPP (Quebec Provincial Police, Think State Trooper with an even worse attitude LOL), starts following me. pulls up close, passes me, follows me for a couple of more miles then turns on the lights and pulls me over! I had no idea why, I wasn't speeding (rare occasion) and I checked all my lights and trailer lights b4 I left! So, he walks up and asks "How do you like that car tire?" He saw the Darkside sticker and the profile of the Falken when he was tailing me and pulling out to pass me. Turns out he has a 2008 Goldwing and is thinking about going Dark! Had a gr8 30 minute discussion about all things Wing (Tires, Traxxion etc). We may need another sticker soon !!!

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Nice story! Yup, Rick, once you've rode on the Darkside, you will never go back! I love mine and will never buy a rear motorcycle tire again! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Good story!! :thumbup:

·
IronMan
17,684 Posts
SEEEEEEEEEEE THERE'S STILL SOME GOOD ONES OUT THERE :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It is only a matter of time before someone says he abused his authority,,,tic..tic..tic...It only takes one bad encounter to ruin your perception of all.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
That is what we like to hear!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
exactly. They will also offer their opinion on what to sue for.....illegal stop, improper detention, yada yada yada yada
I can sue? Hmm, I think my trip budget has just increased! TY guys!!:tongue:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Good story Rick. Still, seeing those lights in your mirror ain't no fun ! I am retired LEO and have a Hankook Ventus CT on the rear of my bike. I like it so far... many of my friends think I'm nuts for putting a car tire on, but so far the benefits outweigh the negatives (if any).

best wishes,
Dave

·
Registered
334 Posts
I can't wait to enter the dark side!

I have been impatiently waiting for my rear MC tire to expire so I can join the club. I have been listing all the CT brands and sizes members use but for some reason I am stuck on Toyos, had them on a SUV and loved them. The most popular CT seems to be Kumho Ecstas. I ride all winter and do catch some snow, so maybe the Toyo tread isn't aggressive enough but is well suited for spring/summer/fall riding. When I tell the new owner of my previous GL1800 I will be going with a CT, he looks at me like I got three heads and one eye! :shrug:

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have been impatiently waiting for my rear MC tire to expire so I can join the club. I have been listing all the CT brands and sizes members use but for some reason I am stuck on Toyos, had them on a SUV and loved them. The most popular CT seems to be Kumho Ecstas. I ride all winter and do catch some snow, so maybe the Toyo tread isn't aggressive enough but is well suited for spring/summer/fall riding. When I tell the new owner of my previous GL1800 I will be going with a CT, he looks at me like I got three heads and one eye! :shrug:
Do what I do, When they tell you they are still running an MC tire, look at them like they have three heads and one eye right back!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have been impatiently waiting for my rear MC tire to expire so I can join the club. :shrug:
I bought a 2009 in Aug 2010. by the end of the riding season (DEC) I had put on 12K km (7500 mi )and the rear tire was about half warn down in the middle. After reading about all the MC tire failures and short life, and the advantages of the CT, I changed to a Michelin Alpin 195/55 before the current season started. You are not getting the advantages of safety and traction until you make the switch. Delay may be a bigger liability than the perceved value of the remaining tread live. I have a half warn OEM MC tire for anyone who wants a good looking tree swing.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
And the converts keep on flocking!! The ct on the rear of my bike was one of the best things I have ever done for the bike. Probably the single best thing as far as safety goes.

·
Registered
196 Posts
And the converts keep on flocking!! The ct on the rear of my bike was one of the best things I have ever done for the bike. Probably the single best thing as far as safety goes.
I agree, I installed mine in May and rode across country to AZ and loved it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I put a Hankook Ventus on in September 2011, 8K miles, looks much better than my MC tire did at the same distance. I am definately hooked on the performance and service.

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
Keep convincing yourself with these Fairy Tales. Cops need the best performance for handling they can get and that is definitly not with a flat car tire requiring increased countersteering. And I dont buy the story that a Cop stopped you because he noticed a moving rear tire that he thought was a CT and wanted to discuss putting Car Tires on motorcycles.

Excuse me. My bad-- I am wrong as are ALL MOTORCYCLE MANUFACTURERS ON THE PLANET. The fairy Tale section is down in the cellar on the Darkside Forum. Remember keep convincing yourself --no one else will. Bahahahahahah.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keep convincing yourself with these Fairy Tales. Cops need the best performance for handling they can get and that is definitly not with a flat car tire requiring increased countersteering. And I dont buy the story that a Cop stopped you because he noticed a moving rear tire that he thought was a CT and wanted to discuss putting Car Tires on motorcycles.

Excuse me. My bad-- I am wrong as are ALL MOTORCYCLE MANUFACTURERS ON THE PLANET. The fairy Tale section is down in the cellar on the Darkside Forum. Remember keep convincing yourself --no one else will. Bahahahahahah.
Who asked you? Did i try to convince you to go to a CT?
Buy whatever story you want, he didn't even ask for registration! And if you could read you would have noted he was asking for his Goldwing, I never said it was his Cop Bike. It;s ok. I'm quite happy in fairy tale land, you keep on maintaining the status quo, because we all know innovation can only be attained by the big motorcycle manufacturers! Remember ride safe, and don't stray too far from home because in your world the earth is still flat!

P.S. If you are going to questions someone's integrity have to courage to do it to their face not from behind the keyboard in your mamma's basement. I'll be in Virginia in August if you want to question my honesty any further although that may be a bit out of your range, with the earth being flat in your world!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts