GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though I am around since a few weeks before I bought my Wing I never introduced myself to you guys.

My name is James Alexander Davis. I go with Jim Davis.
I was born and raised in Istanbul/Turkey as the child of an Italian father and a Russian mom.
I am a 45.6 yrs. old Computer Programmer working for an Industrial Machinery Manufacturer as their IT Manager.

I am riding since 27 years.
Goldwing is my 7th bike and 5th Honda.
I owned:
- Jawa 300cc
- Honda Transalp 600cc
- Shadow 600
- Yamaha Super Tenere 650cc
- Valkyrie Interstate 1500
and of course
- GL1800

My longest and wildest trip on a bike was on my Honda Transalp in 1991. It was a 4 month long trip thru Turkey - Italy - Tunisia - Algeria - Morocco - Spain - France and England.

My nickname is Captain since I hold an International Yacht Captain License and sailed solo for 7 months from Marina del Rey, CA to Costa Rica on my little yacht in 1994.

I served as a Navy Seal/Sniper with the rank of First Lieutenant for NATO Forces in Turkey. I was assigned as the team commander of the squad who protected the U.S. Air Force Radar base at Yamanlar Turkey and I was at the border of Northern Iraq during the first Gulf War.

So after all this excitement I said that's it and settled down beautiful :!: Lake Elsinore, CA. 8)

My wife's name is Charlotte and we're married since 19 months. Even though she can't ride on her own she loves to be on the bike. If it was possible she'll never get down off the bike.
So, I love her double for that reason... :lol:

Also, without boring you guys to death, I'd like to know who's around me ? Who's here lives inside the Ontario/CA - Palm Springs - San Diego and Long Beach square ?

I'd love to meet all of you guys /gals of course and hopefully it'll happen soon. But by the time if anyone of your routes ever passes by my area I would like you to know that my door is always open to all of you guys.

Glad to be here and honored to be between the friends who choose to ride the best bike on the planet, :wink:

Ride safe all,

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Nice intro Jim :D , I'm not in your square, but am going to LA next month. Not riding the Wing cause I'm getting on a cruise ship for a short 4/5 day weekend :clap2: and don't want to leave the Wing alone in a parking lot :shock: You can find more about me via my website...easier than typing it all out 8)

Yep, I can predict one more Wing in your garage for your bride 8)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Hey Jim, been readin your posts. I work at HDL in NC. Believe I've shipped some goodies to you lately.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hi Jim! I'm a little north of your square by about 100 miles, but not out of reach in about 2 hours. If you ever plan to ride north, contact me and maybe we can go for a ride. One question from me, how did an Italian/Russian that was born in Turkey end up with a name that came straight out of the American South? LOL. I spent a week in Lake Elsinore one night a couple years ago. :shock: Just kidding about the week, of course. Any time you spend more than one night in the L.A. basin feels more like a week to me. I got married almost 27 years ago in North Hollywood, lived in Northridge, but got the heck out of Dodge before I went nuts. Now L.A. is creeping over the hill to Bakersfield! I may have to move again, now. :D

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nice introduction. Sounds like you have seen some nice places in your life. I am not near you either. I am on the other side of this big island. Kitty Hawk, N.C. is where I call home.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have fun Garry....

and Chef, I wish it was me but soon get ready to send ton of stuff on my way too...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Very nice introduction Jim, . . very complete too! :)

Congratulations on your new "baby". Now go find some twisties like the Pacific Coast hwy. and put that new baby to a test. I am confident you will like it more than the Valk. (even tho the Valk is a great bike).

AND, . . .thanks for your service and "special" service to the U.S.A. :flg: :clap2:

Now let's see a picture of that new baby!! WELCOME ABOARD!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Welcome Jim.
I am probably closer to u than most...lol about 750 miles.....I am not close to anyone sitting here in El Paso, Texas. I am closer to u than to Dallas or Houston. Hope to see ya someday...you meet the greatest people on this board!

bruce aka 'the blue trawler"

·
Registered
403 Posts
Welcome Jim..I had the chance to spend 3 days in Istanbul 3 years ago before boarding a cruise ship. It was awesome!! Particularly the Blue Mosque and the palace down by the water with the crystal staircase!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Jim,
Gary and I live just over the hill from you. (Ortega Highway) Feel free to get in touch by e-mail and we can set something up for a ride. Looking forward to meeting you.
Mikey

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gary & Mikey >>>> I love to get together with you guys too. If you ever come down the hill, let me know... I'll have cold beers ready for you guys.

Ken>>>> I'm glad you liked and have good time in Istanbul.

and

Blue Trawler>>>> It's only 375 miles for each one of us. And that's nothing for a Winger isn't it ??? I bet we'll meet sooner than you think... You just head towards sunset and I'll head towards East... Somewhere on the road we'll meet and that's where the party gonna be.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Introduction

Welcome aboard from Sunny Cold North Dakota.
Better get a pic of you and your Black Cherry for all to see.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess you guys have to satisfy with this snapshot at this time.
I took this picture on the way to work this morning inside the garage. I am waiting for a sunny day to take more pics to put them here...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Great Post and nice to meet you Jim. Congrats on your new bike! I would love to meet some people in my area as enthusiastic as you. Good Luck hooking up and enjoying your new 1800.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Howdy Jim! I wish I were closer to you, I'm near Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. The ground has been covered with snow for almost three months, and a day when it hits 30 degrees is reason to celebrate.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hey, Jim. Welcome to the band of those who love to ride and do it often (not to be confused with those that WANT to ride, but can't because of the weather). Interesting introduction. I have only one question. You said you were a Navy Seal with the rank of First Lieutenant. There is no such rank in the Navy. LT(jg) or LT. If you are converting to one of the other services, then a 1st LT will be equivalent to a LT(jg) in the Navy.

Anyway, welcome and hope to have many, many posts from you. Seems you've got a lot of company in your area. Ride safe and ride well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Jim, and welcome to the group that loves to ride!!

Not in your area, but if you ever come down to Daytona for Bike Week, drop me a line...

Michael

1 - 20 of 30 Posts