GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For $200 I got a used but brand new (Nubs still on the tires) HF trailer, 1 18cu sears cargo box, and a 20cu sears cargo box. 8" wheels, but will upgrade to 12" as these ones wear out or I get a flat.

Planning on making cargo trailer from the 18cu one. The other I want to be able to change out with the other quickly, and modify it so I can bring my dog on trips. Going to cut a good size hole, put a snowmobile windshield in front of the hole so he can sit up or hunker down.

I want a cooler mount which will be easy to do. Extra spring has already been taken out. Frame has already been primed black.

What else do I need to do (cut/weld/change/modify) to this thing to make it perfect?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Make SURE you pull the inner and outer wheel bearing and wipe away all of the stuff that is on them and repack the bearings with quality bearing grease. What is on them when shipped is nothing more than a rust inhibitor. If you fail to do this you will be replacing burned out wheel bearings very quickly.....and that usually happens a long way from home!

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you have the HF trailer you have to put togeather, after you get it togeather THREAD LOCK EVERY NUT!!!! They have been know to come loose. NOT A GOOD THING! Make sure you clean and repack the wheel bearing or they will burn out real quick.(DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW) then enjoy, you will find all kinds of reasons to be pulling a trailer.:congrats:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Also, move the tongue out and make it longer, it will trail better.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Maybe there's an idea or two in my trailer build. The website is in my signature line.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You can move the tongue forward I think 10" by moving the center brace forward to the next set of holes. It tows WAY better...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts