GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As one voice we are seldom heard but as a group we might be.

What I would like to see them add is an avoid for interstate highways the same as the "Avoid Unpaved Roads" and "Avoid U-Turns" The custom avoids take a lot of time. It would be OK if you could go to the custom avoid screen and just point to the road such as I40 and avoid it totally but you know the story.

Anybody else want to?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Basically, it already exists.

Using MapSource - On the preference window, on the routing tab (the same place the "try to avoid" items are that you mentioned), just to the right is a "Road Selection" area where you have a sliding bar ranging from "Prefer Minor Roads" to "Prefer Highways." I've used this to stay off Interstates and it works great. Just move the slider to one notch left of center and the routing won't select Interstates.

On my Ipaq, which uses Garmin Que to run the map, there is an Avoid Highway check block and it too works great.

I'll have to check my 2610 later as it's on the Wing.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
is this available on the 2720???? never seen it or noticed it if it is.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, There in lies the rub. The 378 and Mapsource don't mix. So can you make that selection without the computer? I would assume that would only apply to mapsouce PC created routes?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes, I know on my IPAQ I can make the selection. I haven't gone out to the garage to check if I can on the 2610.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
On the 2610 if you select "Custom Route Preferences" instead of "Fastest" or "Shortest" routes when prompted for the type of route calculation, you can use the sliders to smaller road preference and it will avoid interstates. You may have to play with the sliders some to get them set where the 2610 picks the types of roads you like to ride.

This function resides in the 2610 and is completely separate from Mapsource.

There is an option to allow you to adjust the slider every time you choose "Custom Route" or you can have it calculate at your default setting. You can also use the "Auto Set" which bases your preferences on your actual driving habits.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
On my 276C, on the same screen with "avoid unpaved" there is an "avoid highways". Works great for keeping off the interstates. Also you can select section of any road you wish to avoid. If I remember correctly you have to set two points on the roadway between which you do not want to travel.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Toisich said:
Basically, it already exists.

Using MapSource - On the preference window, on the routing tab (the same place the "try to avoid" items are that you mentioned), just to the right is a "Road Selection" area where you have a sliding bar ranging from "Prefer Minor Roads" to "Prefer Highways." I've used this to stay off Interstates and it works great. Just move the slider to one notch left of center and the routing won't select Interstates.

I have to go two notches to the left of center for it not to pick interstates on my mapsource or it may be the area I'm mapping in. I notice at the same time it also avoids some 4 lanes that are not interstate. And those are some of the best roads to ride. Is this same slider available on the unit itself? I can't check right now.

Anyway it seems the Interstates are the most prominent feature on any highway map and it should be the easiest thing for the units to avoid. The software doesn't always recognize a paved from an unpaved one. I have been routed on 3 or 4 unpaved ones before. And yes I do have the avoid unpaved roads option set.

I still think the avoid roads could use a lot of improvement. If when I set the avoid road we could just do a find operation and choose I40, for example, and either choose from the map or from a list and avoid the entire road. That would be great. I would still want the option as it is now to pick start and end points on the custom avoid but why can't there just be a selection to avoid all interstates?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts