GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like you to go to your Goldwing and count how many (STOCK) buttons/switches you have on your bike. NO Accessories.

Here is a picture of the areas that you can count. Some models of Goldwings will vary where the buttons and switches are, but you get the idea.

Count each switch as one, even if it has more than one function.
(For example, if the button switches from headset to outside speakers, that counts as 1 button).
(Another example, in the picture below on the bottom right the GPS area, it has 9 buttons.)

Now I had the CB radio installed on mine, but I did not count those (4) because it was an accessory, however, the older bikes did come stock with the switches so you can count those.

Put your year and model and # you counted. (Some of you will be surprised how many there are!)

I'll go first.

My 2018 Tour DCT is 29.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Mine is the same as your picture and I count 52. I have the running light button but it's not stock so I didn't count it.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Today was 70° here in the sonoran desert. No way I’m allocating time to count buttons. I’ll save it for a cold front that moves through forcing the temperatures to plummet into the 40’s. Whenever that might be.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Now if your really bored count how many different functions each button does. That should keep you busy for awhile!!!

Reactions: DaWadd

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Today was 70° here in the sonoran desert. No way I’m allocating time to count buttons. I’ll save it for a cold front that moves through forcing the temperatures to plummet into the 40’s. Whenever that might be.
In the time it took you to respond with that, I counted the buttons. :p :lol:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I never bothered counting on our 2008 Airbag. I have had people tell me that one thing they don't like about the Goldwing (especially 2001-2017) is too many buttons/switches but I kind of like playing with them. I think they are logically laid out. Is too many buttons/switches a good or bad thing?

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Better do this instead of counting 'em!!

<...>Is too many buttons/switches a good or bad thing?
Not unless one (or more) of them stop functioning properly.

So, instead of counting switches, suggest everyone exercise those problem switches to make sure they'll work properly when they need to.

(like the cruise on-off switches, the emergency flasher switch.....)

:mrgreen:

Counting switches? WTH?? :confused:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Counting buttons? No offense, but it might be time to increase the dosage on your meds. :smile2:

I've been riding a Goldwing since 2009 and I ignore all those buttons and switches, except for 3 buttons that I use over and over.

Dang, those fancy buttons sure do look impressive though.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Agree! Got an '08 Airbag as well and find all the instrument, button and ergonomic layout ideal.

I never bothered counting on our 2008 Airbag. I have had people tell me that one thing they don't like about the Goldwing (especially 2001-2017) is too many buttons/switches but I kind of like playing with them. I think they are logically laid out. Is too many buttons/switches a good or bad thing?

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Let's count with Count von Count

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
28 on my 08 Level 1 plus 2 aftermarket buttons. I got to count them on my 80 mile ride yesterday. Much funner than shoveling snow. Funny thing, the lady at vehicle registration yesterday must have been from up north. She said it's a shame to have to register a mc in the winter. I let her know that I ride over 300 days a year- maybe 20 miles or maybe 800 miles- just depends.>:)

·
Registered
471 Posts
...I would like you to go to your Goldwing and count how many (STOCK) buttons/switches you have on your bike. NO Accessories.

Count each switch as one, even if it has more than one function.
Put your year and model and # you counted. (Some of you will be surprised how many there are!)
I'll go first.
My 2018 Tour DCT is 29....
Okay,
this has been bugging me all week, so I finally got a serious count with my 2018 DCT Tour.
But I had to take into account your rules about ONE SWITCH doing multiple functions.
And I decided NOT to count the ignition switch knob, which also does multiple operations.

So, on the left handlebar I count 14 switches and buttons. And the 4 way switch I am counting as only one per your rules.

On the right handlebar, I count 7 buttons and switches. And the Drive/Neutral button counts as only one, even though it does two operations.

My center console has 12, not including the previously mentioned ignition/acc/lock switch.
This includes the fog light switch, and the two Homelink garage door opening buttons that I added as valuable accessories.
Without the 3 added accessory buttons, there would be only 9 in the center console.

So, 14 plus 7 plus 9 divided by the square root of the integer factor of the least divisible even number calculated over the absolute value of the x and y axis derivatives and peak coordinates where the variable is consistent with the theorem data points relative to the logarithmic cosine approaches the calculated polynomial hypotenuse gives a relative number of approximately 30 individual units, not including the 3 added console buttons.

So, there you have it.
30 buttons.
Jefro.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I would rather have 20 individual buttons controlling 20 functions than one button with menus controlling 20 functions. Menus are fine for obscure rarely used setup functions, but when they are used for common, often used functions, it just pisses me off to no end.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Here is a loaded question. How many of those 50 some odd buttons do you use every time you ride, or at least regularly. I counted 5, turn signals, high beams, temperature, cruise enable and volume. Add maybe another 5 that I use periodically. Once you look at it that way, the array of buttons isn't all that awkward. The others were mostly used in setting up the bike the way I want it.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I'm in agreement with Sparky57, the older Goldwings have only marginally more buttons than the new one. But I would much rather be pushing a glove friendly button than scrolling through menu's for more common task.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts