GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip in June and there is always the possability of rain. Last year I really ran into a storm and had a very hard time seeing. Everything fogged up, I had to wear my glasses on the end of my nose to see where I was going. It was not fun at all ! I've been looking at the fogproof goggles in case of a major storm. Has anyone tried them ? So what does everyone else use ? Thanks all................. 8)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Lemon Pledge

No, I'm serious. Lemon Pledge (the furniture polish) will fill in the tiny scratches on your helmet windscreen and even plastic or polycarbonite glasses and will keep them from fogging up.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Mike,

I use 210 product (Tulsa), on my windshield. And when I think about it, I put a snap on, helmet shield on, in lieu of sunglasses. Really no perfect way to protect in a rain storm on a bike.

Dawg

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Mike L said:
... I had to wear my glasses on the end of my nose to see where I was going.
Rain-X on your glasses would help... but I don't know about using it on anything non-glass without reading the directions first.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You don't mention the type of helmet you use. I've found a flip face or full face helmet does wonders in keeping the rain off your face and glasses. When your face shield collects water on it, stand on your pegs and the wind blast cleans it for a while. Ride, stand, repeat. Works for me. Piper

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Most prescription glasses have a hard coating just like the Honda windshield, and Rain X is a NO-NO on both of them. The best product I have found is the 210 as recommended by Tulsa, I also wear a flat competition shield on the helmet to keep the rain off my glasses.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I wear a full face, but rarely close the shield. I also, until recently, didn't carry two shields with me, just leaving my yellow reflective/tinted shield... which sucked at night or in the rain!

So I would always end up riding in the rain with my shield up because it would be too dark to see with it down (I know, I ain't so smart sometimes! <g>). As suggested above, I would just raise up above the windshield to blow the rain off... but when they started fogging, there wasn't much I could do but pull off.

I am seriously considering the LASIKs surgery... I'm tired of wearing glasses, and contacts don't work for me. Would be SO much easier to get a good pair of non-prescription riding sunglasses and a pair of clear riding glasses and be done with it. But you throw prescription lenses in any of the good ones, and the price becomes outrageous.

I'll be watching the thread also to see if any great ideas to keep the rain/fog off glasses comes up. Good question!

·
Registered
837 Posts
IB Mike said:
I am seriously considering the LASIKs surgery... I'm tired of wearing glasses, and contacts don't work for me.
Me too Mike. I'm due to have my cataraks removed in a couple years and I'm going to have the LASIKs surgery done at the same time. Doc says they'll even have implants by then so I won't even need reading glasses. The more I think about it, the more anxious I get. I've been wearing glasses since I was in the 7th grade and I'm tired of them too.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Jim Mathis said:
[quote="IB Mike":2654h4wr]
I am seriously considering the LASIKs surgery... I'm tired of wearing glasses, and contacts don't work for me.
Me too Mike. I'm due to have my cataraks removed in a couple years and I'm going to have the LASIKs surgery done at the same time. Doc says they'll even have implants by then so I won't even need reading glasses. The more I think about it, the more anxious I get. I've been wearing glasses since I was in the 7th grade and I'm tired of them too.[/quote:2654h4wr]

I was hesitant to do it awhile ago, but they seem to have the technology down pretty good and the folks that have had it done for awhile don't seem to be suffering any ill effects.

And the good thing is, the AF is doing the surgeries, primarily for aircrews, but you can get on the waiting list and when they have an opening, they'll do it on uf "regular folk". You do have to pay your way to the sites they do it at (I think there are 6), and for your lodging and all that.. but hell, the surgery is free!!

Think I'll go ahead and get on the list when I get home!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Wingman26 said:
Most prescription glasses have a hard coating just like the Honda windshield, and Rain X is a NO-NO on both of them. The best product I have found is the 210 as recommended by Tulsa, I also wear a flat competition shield on the helmet to keep the rain off my glasses.
I don't know what the effect would be on the hard coating on the lenses, but after my post above about Rain-X I recalled that my glasses were actually polycarbonate lenses. I can't find any Rain-X here at home to check what the label says. Anyway, there is a lot of good info above that would work on both your windshield and on your glasses. So that's the better way to go. The bottom line is to 'read the label' before using any product! :D

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Go to a local winter ski shop and buy one of those fog cloths that come in a small clear plastic bag that skiers use to keep their goggles and glasses fog free. They work great and you'll have no problems, carry easily in your front pockets and cost about a $1.00 each. I've used them for years both for motorcycling and skiing and never had a problem.

DaleC

·
Registered
54 Posts
Full face helmet and the windscreen cleaned with 210, honda spray polish or plexus. Stand up and let the wind blow off the face shield when necessary. AND I found a product at the International Motorcycle show called ZOOKE that comes in a paste or spray that you can put on your glasses and/or helmet shield that makes them absoulutely FOG PROOF. [/url]http://www.zooke.com This stuff is not permanent but yo...to ride and you'll be good to go for the day.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Mike, like Dale C, i too use an anti fogging cloth on my glasses. i ride with an open face helmet that has a sunvisor across the top. i carry a pair of clear lens glasses coated with the anti fogging stuff, tilt my head down a bit & keep on truckin. i look over the top of the windsheild, not thru it, and have been known to wipe my glasses with a paper towel while riding.
Riding in the rain is really not that bad. Just increase your following distance, decrease your speed, have a good rain suit, Frogg Toggs work for me, & if it gets too bad pull over & wait it out.
dave cassidy

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it's raining so hard that my vision becomes an issue I stop and let it pass. If its not that bad I use the one finger wind shield wipper.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I am seriously considering the LASIKs surgery
Mike ... I considered it for a LONG time ... but, finally, just about 2 years ago, I couldn't pass up the deal. Canada has had Lasik performed for many more years than the US and I had already had several relatives rave about the Gimbal clinic in Edmonton, so I was all set for a mini vacation "back home" ... until I found out that a former partner of Gimbals had a clinic in Windsor. Checking into it, I found he had almost 20,000 surgeries to his credit, actually taught apthalmology at the University of London (Ontario) ... anfd the price couldn't be beat .... my stepson paid $2500 an eye in Dallas a few years ago ... I paid $962 for BOTH eyes in Windsor.
Had the exam on Wednesday PM, confirmation by the doc on Thursday AM (my eyes were THAT astigmatic that they wouldn't schedule without his OK), surgery at 10AM on Thursday ... went back to the hotel (next door) to nap for a few hours ... then at 4:30PM I drove us around town in a blizzard to find a restaurant. LOL
Happy? Man ... wish this had been possible years and years ago ... all those years when I couldn't wear sunglasses ... ski goggles, bike goggles, etc.

Of course, on the off-side, now I have to remember to always carry Clear riding glasses for night riding ... LOL ... as you stated sunglasses at night don't cut it. And riding, as Mike L noted, in heavy rain, means rain wacking you in the eyes. But ... would I recommend it? Hecvk, the clinic in Windsor should have me on retainer .... I've already sent them over a dozen customers .. who are all as happy as I am.
If they'll do it ... do it! (in other words, if your eyes are ok for the procedure .... go for it) :lol:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all

Hey thanks for all the reply's I appreciate it. If I can avoid riding in the rain I will, but last year I was caught in Never Nerver land with nowhere to go, I was shaking hands with lightning bolts, wow I've never heard thunder like that before ! LOL Ya I was scared , it got to the point where I just couldn't continue and pulled to the side of the road I just could not see and the lesser of two evils was the side of the road. In Michigans upper peninsula there are a lot of roads with nowhere to turn off ! I wear the same kind of helmet Hobo does. I wear my reading glasses as clear riding glasses and also at night versus buying a pair of clear and swapping all of the time. I guess I'm gonna have to break down and buy a pair and swap when I stop. Hey ! That kinda rhymes doesnt it ? Swap when I stop ! LOL Hey thanks again for the reply's :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Dale C and Hobo had it right. You can also get the defogging cloth at most Scuba diving shops. Ever since I started diving, I have used the cloth on the inside of my dive mask to keep it from fogging. I use the same cloth for my ski goggles in which I wear my glasses. Talk about fogging problems!! The cloth is great. If you think it is going to rain, stop and use the cloth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts