GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually like the look of those really bright, white (or blue) headlights some Wingers have. What are they, how much do they cost, and do any of you think they are a good or bad idea?

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
HIDs or maybe Projector Beam.
HIDs are not legal when used in the OEM headlamp. Don't know about projector beam units
But, then when have you heard of anyone stopped specifically for having either instead of OEM or equivalent headlamp bulbs.
Maybe for not dimming for on-coming traffic.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
HIDs or maybe Projector Beam.
HIDs are not legal when used in the OEM headlamp. Don't know about projector beam units
But, then when have you heard of anyone stopped specifically for having either instead of OEM or equivalent headlamp bulbs.
Maybe for not dimming for on-coming traffic.
Deputy,

I'm curious what is illegal about the HID's. Is this a federal statute, or state to state? I figured as long as they were aimed correctly, and perhaps not exceeding a certain # of lumens, or wattage, but never knew it was illegal to modify the OEM headlights. I don't doubt it's the case, and I'm guessing chances of being pulled over and cited for it would be minimal if you followed common sense. Do you know if this applies to LED conversions of tail-lights?

Since many newer cars have HID's I doubt it would be an issue(though illegal perhaps).

Thanks

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Deputy,

I'm curious what is illegal about the HID's. Is this a federal statute, or state to state? I figured as long as they were aimed correctly, and perhaps not exceeding a certain # of lumen's, or wattage, but never knew it was illegal to modify the OEM headlights. I don't doubt it's the case, and I'm guessing chances of being pulled over and cited for it would be minimal if you followed common sense. Do you know if this applies to LED conversions of tail-lights?

Since many newer cars have HID's I doubt it would be an issue(though illegal perhaps).

Thanks
All headlamps have the optics designed to work w/a specific light source.
Doesn't matter if the optics are on the lens or the housing or a combination of the two.
Put a different light source in that does not have the same focal point/filament location and sometimes much higher lumen's and you have created an illegal lamp.
Now, again. having said that, unless you lamps cause a LEO eye problems at night-who's going say their legal or not.
The only time I stopped people for illegal lighting(even w/my years working for GM as a Lighting Eng'r for exterior lighting)was the ones that had fog lamps/passing lamp mis-aimed up in my eyes and some with blinding off-road lamps on, especially on light bars above the cabs.
Most bright headlamps got a pass if they were dimmed when I flashed. Failure to dim is one of the "hints" of an impaired driver.

Continuing:
Lamps that are designed to use the HID systems are legal.
Rear lamps that are designed to use LEDs are legal.
Replacement LED's are questionable and each lamp used in would require photometric testing to decide legality. (Whose going to pay for that!)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Dang I hate to jump in but i just had to.. What the deputy says I do not deny in his state. It could be a state to state statue much like mufflers are. In Florida the statue just states the headlight must be white and on each side of the vehicle unless its a MC and not glaring etc. Now do officers enforce all the laws. The answer is no because how can an officer tell/prove they are not OEM add ons without a lot of research and time on his part. So basically its not worth it to go to the trouble to figure out what is OEM and aftermarket. Remember the driver could just say they came on the car from the factory and how can an officer prove it doesn't.
How do i know all of this? I was a deputy for 33 years in Florida so I know a little of the laws.
I say make the change and not worry about it but who am I to say.??

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
I actually like the look of those really bright, white (or blue) headlights some Wingers have. What are they, how much do they cost, and do any of you think they are a good or bad idea?
Most of us are getting the HID like kits from DDM Tuning. There is another source that charges about 4 times as much, but they're not any better. Some will say they are, but trust me, they're all made in China, probably by the same manufacturer.

The ones from DDM can be had for about $60 including shipping and they work really well. I've had mine now for about 8 months and they work perfect! One of the best safety enhancements I have made to the bike.

Read this thread for more info: http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3207278

·
Registered
871 Posts
Lets talk about really bright headlights

I went with xenon bulbs. 4300k 55w bulb with output of a 100w bulb. price range from $36 to $70 dollars depending on what quality you get. I have these in both my low beam and fog lights and they have been working fine for 2 years. They are brighter and whiter than stock but not blinding like some HID can be

·
Registered
257 Posts
I went with xenon bulbs. 4300k 55w bulb with output of a 100w bulb. price range from $36 to $70 dollars depending on what quality you get. I have these in both my low beam and fog lights and they have been working fine for 2 years. They are brighter and whiter than stock but not blinding like some HID can be
dstevens, where did you get your xenon bulbs at, and what part number?
Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts

I use this brand. They are white and very bright. They last about 2 years,or 28,000 miles, pricey however the price is ok with me. $80.00 Just plug them in no special wires.
Roger

Eautoworks.com Raybrib RA72 $80.00
800-905-8886

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
thanks Deputy. That's about what I thought, but you explained it well. Even though that may not apply to all states, I'm sure California is one where it does apply, and my bike is not a home state only bike.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Lots of companies make EXTRA money from shipping fees now days. :wrong:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Dang I hate to jump in but i just had to.. What the deputy says I do not deny in his state. It could be a state to state statue much like mufflers are. . .
I've done some research on this, and actually the State codes concerning vehicle headlights need to adhere to Federal guidlines of FMVSS No. 108 -- which state (paraphrased):

FMVSS No. 108 requires headlamps manufactured to replace original equipment headlamps to comply with all applicable photometry requirements using the replaceable light sources intended for use in the headlighting system on the vehicle for which the replacement headlamp is intended. Unlike other lamps, FMVSS No. 108 specifically regulates headlighting systems, including their light sources (see S7.1, S7.5, and S7.7). Because replaceable light sources are, by regulation, designed to be non-interchangeable, it would not be possible for an HID headlamp conversion set (even a good one) to meet the standard’s photometry requirements for an original equipment headlamp system using a halogen light source, so the replacement lamps could not be sold for this purpose. Furthermore, a headlamp dealer or motor vehicle repair business could not remove the original halogen headlamps and install HID replacement headlamps without violating 49 U.S.C. 30122. That section prohibits manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and motor vehicle repair businesses from making inoperative equipment installed in accordance with a Federal motor vehicle safety standard.

Now I daresay that while installing HID lights may be against the LETTER of the law, in practice I believe there would be practically a nil chance of one being ticketed for having them . . . IF they are properly constructed and aimed.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Who actually worries about this sort of stuff? If you like the HIDs then get you some. I seriously doubt an LEO will be carrying a light meter and service manual/parts fiche for your bike so he can check the design/part number/lumens of your lights.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I use PIAA extreme whites in all four slots. I will probaly go with HID next time around.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
My sig says it all.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I've done some research on this, and actually the State codes concerning vehicle headlights need to adhere to Federal guidlines of FMVSS No. 108 -- which state (paraphrased):

FMVSS No. 108 requires headlamps manufactured to replace original equipment headlamps to comply with all applicable photometry requirements using the replaceable light sources intended for use in the headlighting system on the vehicle for which the replacement headlamp is intended. Unlike other lamps, FMVSS No. 108 specifically regulates headlighting systems, including their light sources (see S7.1, S7.5, and S7.7). Because replaceable light sources are, by regulation, designed to be non-interchangeable, it would not be possible for an HID headlamp conversion set (even a good one) to meet the standard’s photometry requirements for an original equipment headlamp system using a halogen light source, so the replacement lamps could not be sold for this purpose. Furthermore, a headlamp dealer or motor vehicle repair business could not remove the original halogen headlamps and install HID replacement headlamps without violating 49 U.S.C. 30122. That section prohibits manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and motor vehicle repair businesses from making inoperative equipment installed in accordance with a Federal motor vehicle safety standard.
That's why the other place that sells "Stuff" for "Wings" was told to cease and desist selling their very popular HID conversions for the GL1800 by certain government officials... :lol:

·
Registered
84 Posts
OK... I have read many opinions on this but I am still dubious. Only yesterday I spoke with my local dealer who stated that Honda do not yet recommend HID lighting. In fact he suggested it may interfear with the electrical system, especially those with CB radios. I would love to put HIDs on my 2012 but just am not sure which way to go?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Lets talk about really bright headlights

dstevens, where did you get your xenon bulbs at, and what part number?
Thanks!
I got them from a local car speed shop. They are Polarg #P0879 H7 12V55W specify 4300K that is the bright white light equivelent to 100W. They can be found on the internet for around 70 to 80 bucks. The ones I put in my fog lights are made by Falcon and are only 85W output and were around 36 bucks do not have a part number for those. You might check around your area for a car performance shop that may carry them

1 - 20 of 27 Posts