GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new pair of riding gloves... I presently have a pair of Joe Rocket
Phoenix gloves.. I really like them ..
but I am open to suggestions.. i don't want a pair of bulky, hot gloves..
because I have heated grips and my hands are never cold.. I like the idea of some protection for my hands when shopping for new gloves.. - padding on the top fingers & thumb area are a must..
and if you have a site where I can look.. i would appreciate you listing it...

thanks,

cosmic

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I have Held "Steve"(3-season), Olympia Gel Reflector (summer weight), Motophoria (winter weight), and OSI (hot summer weight).
I wear the Steve or Olympia most of the time; I use a thin Thermax liner when it's below 40 or so. If it's really cold, I use the Motophoria.

From what you're saying, I think you'd like the Olympia. It's hard for me to find gloves that fit; all of these come in a size 12 (3XL).
New Enough Glove Page

Gel Reflector Glove Page

·
Registered
472 Posts
I bought a pair of new Held "Steve" gloves to replace an older pair of Held gloves. I love 'em. Got them from NewEnough as listed above.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I really like the deerskin gloves that I pick up at my local hardwear store.

They're soft, fit nice, wear great, don't turn your hand black if you get caught in the rain. and they don't cost a lot...

I've had all kinds of "motorcycle" gloves and they're no better than the deerskin gloves from the hardwear store and maybe worse...

Check them out before you drop a large amount for some brand name gloves....

·
Registered
87 Posts
cheap gloves that do the job

Check out your local Home Depot or Lowes or whatever lumber/hardware store you have locally for the new lines of work gloves. Most are neoprene bodies with leather palms, and some have plastic "armor" over the knuckles and finger tips. I find that they are comfortable, fit better than most leather gloves and are half the price (at least) of "motorcycle gloves". An added plus is that you can get them is colors-so maybe you can match your ride.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Everybody can do their own thing

that's what makes the world go round.
I'm not flaming anybody in their choices. Any glove is better than none.
Please take the time to read Paul's comments on what a good quality glove is designed to do. http://www.newenough.com/alpinestars_gp ... s_page.htm Then click on, enlarge glove, to see how the glove is designed to protect.
Probably one of the first things to touch down will be the hands. Notice what they say happens with the pinky finger when the hand hits the pavement.
No gloves and no helment is the best way to ride a bike but you will never catch me not wearing protective equipment. Yes it is uncomfortable, but with the right gear on the pain :( can be kept to a miniumum.
I'm not saying you must have a full bore race glove, just don't buy a leather glove thinking it will protect you. Something to think about. A slip on leather glove can be ripped from your hand the instant your hand touches the pavement. That's why a good quality motorcycle glove has a wrist strap to keep the glove on your hand encase you are sliding backwards.
I've been down b4 when I was roadracing yrs ago :? . It's nice to walk away from a bad slide.

My left racing glove was destroyed after the crash but my hand was fine :idea:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts