GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a little out of your field but since you sometimes wander and you're the only innovator that I know of, I'll throw it at you.

For several reasons I'd like to be able to quickly remove my saddle. One reason is that I just bought a new Russell saddle and expect it is going to get wet from time to time. A friend had a Valkyrie and told me he used to pop the saddle off at night if it got wet and dry it out in the house or motel.

With a 1500 or 1800 it is a pain to remove the saddle especially if you are on the road. What is needed is somehow to have a quick disconnect to remove the handles that hold the saddle in place.

Are you up to this challenge Lewis?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I can think of ways to do a quick release of the seat BUT they would not fasten the grab handle securely and you probably could not use it to put the bike on the center stand. Is that acceptable?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
.....velcro.....?
Saran Wrap? Or anything else that has come out of the space industry? Teflon? Tang? Kevlar? :twisted:

The Grab handle could be held in place with the standard bolts through a spacer mount, the seat would then have slots to accomodate the handle mounts. The seat then would only need a quick release attachment (hook?) to the grab handle mounts?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Speed handle wrench and a 6mm socket????? 8)

Not that fast maybe......but not that slow either. Quick release and solid are more difficult when both are required.....usually.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
our valkyrie seat removes in 8 seconds

thats very nice

but the wing seat--and i have a russell as well

just isnt very handy

i cover my velour seat when ever i park it

i have one of those halfcovers thats about the siza of a 16 ounce pop bottle

i do carry a very compact 1500 watt hair dryer along and cord

in case it does get wet

also works well for wet gloves--shoes-etc etc

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Why not just cover it so it won't get wet?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob the cover doesn't work well. The one Russell supplied will not fit properly. Also there are going to be times when you are riding that it will get wet regardless.

Also a quick disconnect would be good for other reasons.

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
A properly designed waterproof cover should work. I would contact Russel Day.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
laen said:
A properly designed waterproof cover should work. I would contact Russel Day.
Mike: I agree with the above. You paid mucho bucks for a custom seat, I would keep after them till they supplied a cover that fit properly.

Must retailers don't care for me much...I hold their feet to the fire if they produce shoddy products. :x

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Hijack alert..

Lewis, please figure out how we can trick the big girl into thinking it's sitting still in neutral while I'm riding so that I can change the rear preload on the roll.

I promise not to tell anybody who did it....

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Secure mounting of the passenger grab handles would be a safety issue.

And the secure, fail-safe attachment of the grab handles must not be compromised in order to make the removal of the seat more convenient.

Maybe what you need is a 6mm T-handle Allen wrench (without the ball end) and some practice.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Secure mounting of the passenger grab handles would be a safety issue.

And the secure, fail-safe attachment of the grab handles must not be compromised in order to make the removal of the seat more convenient."

Wow, you'd better call the grab handle police then because Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and a whole bunch of others must be breaking the grab handle law by selling all those bikes with no grab handles.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
There may be a way and with keeping the handles and using the handles for the centerstand. I have to get my seat back from TNCharlie...it's actually seeing time on a bike while Russell works on his.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Crossrodes said:
Wow, you'd better call the grab handle police then because Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and a whole bunch of others must be breaking the grab handle law by selling all those bikes with no grab handles.
Use some common sense here. Not having a grab handle is a lot different than having one that you expect to be secure come loose at the wrong time. :roll:

·
Registered
741 Posts
It's not getting it off that is so bad, but getting it back on that make me say bad words. I have a Diamond that hasn't been off since it was new, and it will have to be really important before I take it off. It took me and my wife three hours to get that SOB on. I'm still cussin it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Roy I also used to have a tough time with it. Here's a few things I did and I recommend:

1. Get two 6 1/2" bolts, cut off the heads and thread them with the same metric thread as the handle/seat bolt after cutting off the head. (Unless you can find bolts with the same threads - I couldn't). Either way the heads have to be cut off.

2. Using the bolts as guides thread them into the sub-frame after placing the seat on the bike. Use a shop light if you have to line up the bolt with the bolt hole. Once the guides are threaded in (not too far), slip the handles over the guides.
Remove one guide and replace it with one bolt then remove the other guide and replace it with the other bolt. Repeat the process on the other handle.

3. Also put a little anti-seize on the threads of the guides and bolts...not too much and be careful not to get the anti-seize on your seat (It's a bitch to remove).

4. You can also do the following to ease the starting of the threads in the bolt holes: Using a grinder or a file put a little taper on your bolts and guides to help them start in the bolt holes (or you can buy some of the bolts now available with a tapered tip; I think Hal has them).

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
There may be a way and with keeping the handles and using the handles for the centerstand. I have to get my seat back from TNCharlie...it's actually seeing time on a bike while Russell works on his.
I have a stock seat you can borrow if you want.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Would ya'll please leave Lewis alone about his seat. Yes I have put more miles on it in two weeks than he has in two years but that is not saying a lot. Toyo throws me under the bus about a little dust ( you could still see the stitching ). Lewis called and I had to go buy and let him check to be sure I was taking good care of it. Thanks Bill for offering to let him use your seat but my Russell will be here Thursday and he can have his seat back. :D :D :D

Merry Christmas,
Charlie

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
TnCharlie said:
Would ya'll please leave Lewis alone about his seat. Yes I have put more miles on it in two weeks than he has in two years but that is not saying a lot. Toyo throws me under the bus about a little dust ( you could still see the stitching ). Lewis called and I had to go buy and let him check to be sure I was taking good care of it. Thanks Bill for offering to let him use your seat but my Russell will be here Thursday and he can have his seat back. :D :D :D

Merry Christmas,
Charlie
You ride a bazillion miles a year with a stock seat; how many miles a year will you do with a comfortable seat? :shock: You scare me...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts