GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
We actually had one for awhile. We used Hella ballasts and Orsam capsules....the best stuff. Hoewever, NHTSA has cracked down on the retrofits saying they are illegal. They have literally killed the industry. Most of the kits being sold are having to be shipped in from Asia or Canada to skirt the laws. The biggest problem was spacing the capsule in the housing. Most just got it in there and if the light is not in the right space, it never hits the road right or blinds other drivers.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
My opinion has been that if you want to retrofit HID's in the bike, just make it for hi-beam or driving light use.
The Sylvania's and Narva's are fine for low-beam and are world-compliant.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
We actually had one for awhile. We used Hella ballasts and Orsam capsules....the best stuff. Hoewever, NHTSA has cracked down on the retrofits saying they are illegal. They have literally killed the industry. Most of the kits being sold are having to be shipped in from Asia or Canada to skirt the laws. The biggest problem was spacing the capsule in the housing. Most just got it in there and if the light is not in the right space, it never hits the road right or blinds other drivers.
Your right, I do see on cqlight.com they state they are not street legal and xtralights.com don't say this at all.
Im scatchin my head on this one?????

·
Registered
504 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
My opinion has been that if you want to retrofit HID's in the bike, just make it for hi-beam or driving light use.
Unfortunately HID systems aren't well suited for hi-beam use. Quoted from http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID_faq.asp
Almost all-original equipment H.I.D. lighting systems that come on new cars use separate bulbs for High and Low beams. A traditional halogen bulb is used for the High beam while a XENON H.I.D. system is utilized for the Low beam. The reason HID is not a good choice for high beams is because they take over a minute to heat up or come on full power so you would loose the ability to “flash to pass” or just flick on your high beams for a dark corner.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
WVGuy said:
Arn Butt Bill said:
Unfortunately HID systems aren't well suited for hi-beam use. Quoted from http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID_faq.asp
Almost all-original equipment H.I.D. lighting systems that come on new cars use separate bulbs for High and Low beams. A traditional halogen bulb is used for the High beam while a XENON H.I.D. system is utilized for the Low beam. The reason HID is not a good choice for high beams is because they take over a minute to heat up or come on full power so you would loose the ability to “flash to pass” or just flick on your high beams for a dark corner.
Well there goes that brilliant idea....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts