GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a idea on what dollar amounts of coverage are you carrying on your motorcycle liability insurance for bodily injury. My policy is due and I'm thinking that $100,000 each person and $300,000 each accident may be way under insured with todays high medical costs. Thanks........................

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ron, look into a personal liability umbrella policy with your insurance agent if you are concerned. Often the cost of such a policy is less than raising the individual limits on multiple vehicles.

To answer your question, 250/500 as a minimum underlying limit on all my vehicles with a 1,000,000 umbrella.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
The liability portion and higher limit options of a motorcycle policy (or for that matter most personal lines policies) as well as medical payments options are relatively cheap so why not explore what the higher limits cost you. If you don't have any assets, no future income to protect or high cost future plans you are saving for (i.e. such as college for kids, etc.) then 100/300 is fine, but otherwise I'd suggest something higher including a relatively inexpensive Umbrella policy that goes in excess of your Homeowner, Auto, & Motorcycle policy.

Unfortunately, accidents happen, attorneys (and accident victims) love to go after the money and assets of those that are negligent, and in this day and age you need to protect yourself.

Also keep in mind the liability side of a auto/motorcycle/homeowner policy is not only liability protection for bodily injury to others, but also property damage protection coverage that you do to other party's property.

100/300 doesn't go too far in this day and age, and what is even more scary is some drivers and riders only have minimum limits and estimates are 25 to 40% nothing at all. Get a quote on how the limits profile and you can make an informed decision.

DaleC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts