GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why it it that you people post a photo of the rear of bikes, cars etc they block the plate #? They can be seen by hundreds of people every day!
Just curious.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yeah, I wanna know, too!! I've always wondered that myself.

R

·
0 Posts
Why is it that you people don't post your real name, address and phone number in your sig line on a forum? DUH?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
so, why the license plate block ??

a phone number is different

what info could that possible devulge ??

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why is it that you people don't post your real name, address and phone number in your sig line on a forum? DUH?
I don't know "Rider Steve". I guess it's because your plate must be visable by law, which allows everyone to see it. Youe personal info is differant, it's not required to be securly fastened to your vehicle.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I got tired of people saying how nice my purple bike was. My license plate is ITS BLU.

·
Registered
751 Posts
so, why the license plate block ??

a phone number is different

what info could that possible devulge ??
I do not block my plates in photos, but from a license plate number I could get a name, address, phone number, last place of empolyment and possibly a SS#.......It's not good, but it is true:roll:.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I got tired of people saying how nice my purple bike was. My license plate is ITS BLU.
That is funny you mention this...my wife and I were out ridding today and she saw one the same color as yours and said "Was that Purple"? I told her "no", it's Blue. :coffee1:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
My wife manages shopping centers. If they read your plate number, they have software that displays your name, copy of your registration and owners address in seconds:shock:. No one can hide anymore:nojoke:.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I agree. And for those that claim a privacy issue, try covering your plates during your daily drives. I am sure that will bring some attention.

Why it it that you people post a photo of the rear of bikes, cars etc they block the plate #? They can be seen by hundreds of people every day!
Just curious.

·
Banned
716 Posts
Plates

I'm not that important or am I that paranoid. The world does not revolve around me:bow:

·
Registered
855 Posts
i'm afraid it could place me at the scene of a crime!

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's Just Wrong

My license plate can be seen by anyone while I'm out riding or driving my car so what's the difference.
Licensed PI speaking here, so I "know a little bit". I think GL1800 owners, comparatively speaking, have little to fear because unlike sport-bikes or customs, they're not a very high-priority theft risk model.

To answer 20Wing07's specific question, most Dark-Purpose Trollers are not out and about driving vehicles around. They are sitting somewhere with a PC scanning websites, and THAT'S the "big difference". Broad-spectrum Keyword and Specific Text-Content searches make it real easy to find exactly what one may be looking for, (for whatever reason), VERY quickly and easily. . .

The major commercial and municipal agency databanks are indeed clamping down substantially these days re privacy issues, but "generally speaking" "There Is No Such Thing As Privacy" any more these days - across the entire spectrum range from Big-Brother Snooping to the commercial Data Miner / Info Resellers to the Dirtbag Perps trolling sites like this one seeking to locate & steal a particular make-model-year vehicle on order for themself (need parts?) or for a "customer". More often than not, an Overseas Customer.

Generally speaking, expecialy for something which can (with the right "contacts" or "access privileges", legal or illegal), yield a vehicles owner's personal "pedigree data", it's always best to block licence plate tags and keep 'em concealed.

The lack of privacy is ridiculous. Gimme a mere address, and in ten minutes I'll know the name (plus a WHOLE LOT MORE) about every person who's ever been "associated" to that address for past 20-odd years - plus every relative of those persons ever associated to that person themself in any way, shape, manner or form - plus every individual's own prior-history Paper Trail, etc. etc. etc. Just from a singular address.

A lot of it has to do with states wherein vehicle insurance coverage follows the "person", not the particular insured vehicle itself - in other words, if I'm borrowing my neighbor's cage and get in an accident, my own auto policy coverage is exposed and applicable first and foremost before the neighbor's policy covering their own auto comes into play as a second layer of additional coverage.

And since the policies are usually worded to define any coresident licensed relatives as "additional insureds", the insurance carriers in such states are very, VERY interested in knowing exactly how many legally licensed drivers may be residing in a HOUSEHOLD ADDRESS, what their ages are, etc. for Risk Exposure and underwriting / premium cost-rating purposes, etc. As well as because additional auto policies held by other family members for their own differing vehicles could also conceivably come into play as well. So the "Data Miners" cater to the Insurance Industry's interests and concerns, To The Max.

So, for example, if you're a 40 yr old guy trying to insure your cage and don't admit to the insurance carrier that ya also have a licensed 18 yr old kid coresiding in the same dwelling, don't think the carrier ain't gonna know you falsified info in your insurance coverage application.
Serious issues over that? Depends on the carrier, whether ya have accidents, who was driving, etc etc.

They'll find out about the coresident licensed 18 year old (or 21-yr-old) especially if the kid has his own credit card, because the carrier will be running the applicant's own credit history, too, and the kid will be linked or "associated" to both his parents as well as the billing address through the paper trail the kid creates by owning and using his own credit card, etc. etc. It's all just a "snowball" rolling downhill gathering added bulk to the info-data and paper trail. . .

And all the major Data Minning companies are, of course, linked and networked and data-sharing with God knows how many other firms and industries. In their industry, it' ain't all about "competition" so much as it's about "cooperation", one hand washing the other.

Use your department store, specialty store and especially supermarket "Discount Courtesy Card"?
Ha Ha. THEY log and track your individual-item purchases history for "marketing purposes". Lotsa supermarkets chains (in some states) have attached liquor stores.

To coin a joke-cliche in an article on the subject: "Hey, Joe Customer: Do ya buy your gallon of Wild Turkey Bourbon, box of Extra Small Condoms, and can of FDS Deodorant Spray For Wifey religiously every week? Ya might wanna pay cash, instead of using your discount courtesy card". :eek:4:

Joe Customer on his motorcycle while perfectly sober gets T-boned by some Idiot In A Cage and gets messed up big-time, so sues the Cager. Defense Counsel for the Cager obtains and serves a judicially-so-ordered Subpoena Duces Tecum ("Produce The Records") on the three supermarkets within a 5-mile radius of Joe Customer Biker's residential dwelling address. Hey, Looky That. Guy buys a gallon of Bourbon every week. Think I'll explore that in lotsa detail when he takes the Witness Stand. As in, bust his shoes for half a day's worth of testimony, over nuthin' . . . Can't hurt to create another Unanswered Question of Possible Suspicion in the minds of the empaneled Jury Members . . . etc.

What ya buy on a regular basis is Nobody's "darn" Business but Your Own - but that "just ain't so". Nowaday's it's "Everybody's Business" - unless you Protect the info. If ya don't, using the above-cited example, don't be too surpsised, or wonder why, if-when ya start getting Junk Snail-Mail in your residential USPS mailbox from every Tom Dick & Harry local liquor retailer, Sex Toys Supplier, etc etc etc.

"Marketing Reasearch". AKA as Data Miners. Personal Info-Resellers. It's a multi-billion-dollar-per-year industry, and steadily mushrooming exponentially.
:wrong:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
I do not block my plates in photos, but from a license plate number I could get a name, address, phone number, last place of empolyment and possibly a SS#.......It's not good, but it is true:roll:.
and how would you get all that

from a plate number ??

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Loren, go to your local Tag Agent. Give em two dollars and your tag number. Don't tell em who you are, you don't have to. And they will give you a print out of the Tag Number. Complete with owner, address etc. No S.S. Number . Just Address, and name. It is Public Info. Sad, but true.
not in arkansas

maybe in other areas

i have to show id to even pay for plate renewals

and lets say it would work

thats a long way from phone numbers, ssi #, employers, etc

1 - 20 of 78 Posts