GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since TN doesn't require a license plate on a trailer, are there issues with pulling it in other states that do?

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
I have a utility trailer that I pull in NC (where I am stationed) with my TN registered truck.....never a problem.

Don't know about a MC trailer, but if you are abiding by the law in your state, you should not have a problem.....as stated above.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Good place for a Farm Use only TAG :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Since TN doesn't require a license plate on a trailer, are there issues with pulling it in other states that do?
Just put one of these on the trailer, should answer any question of the trailers origins...

More available at:

http://proudrebel.com/rebel/tag.htm

:lol:

Or Is Tennessee a little too far North??

·
Registered
427 Posts
Alabama

Revenue Commissioner who handles tags for our county stated that it didn't have to have a tag. I asked to see the regulation in print. He stated that there was not one, it was a gray area and just understood.

So, I bought a utility trailer tag about $9, so it's registered and will settle any question if ever pulled over in another state or at home for that matter. Figured $9 is good insurance to prevent any hassle I might receive while trying to enjoy a trip.

Mike;)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Another view

I have read and been told (not by LEO) that you are subject to laws of state you are in. If (like NC) a trailer tag is required then it's up to the officer that might stop you. A friend of mine was towing an untagged South Carolina trailer (no tag required) in NC and was stopped & ticketed for his non tagged trailer.
In '03 we rode our trike, pulling our non tagged Escapade, cross country and was never questioned or stopped. We have since pulled our rig through almost all states and Canada and have never been stopped or questioned. We have put over 7K miles on it in the last year and no problems.
This may be one of those gray areas :shrug:.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
If your state doesn't require a plate then you don't have to have one in other states, but that won't keep you from being pulled over and hassled about it. My plates cost $11.00 per year, so to me it just makes good sense to put them on and not be pulled over.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pshivers, I am afraid that tag will make sure the rider gets pulled over!:eek:4:

·
Registered
125 Posts
As a former resident of TN I was in the same situation. No tag required, but if you desire a title you have to get a tag. Since the title was more important (to me anyway) I broke down, got the trailer inspected, and, spent the few dollars to get the tag and title.

Several years later when I sold the trailer, I was living in another state. That title sure did come in handy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We don't need a tag in Kansas. But to avoid being stopped I bought a Kansas under 2m tag at a trailer place. It was a $10 one time thing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
OK; so I live in Tennessee; no plate required. Does this mean I would be best off getting a plate and putting it inside my trailer (no longer have plate mount on trailer), just to have to show the fine officer who pulls me over?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wounder how u get a title for a home built trailer, in TN?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I wounder how u get a title for a home built trailer, in TN?

Call your County Court Clerk...I think you take it there and tell them you built it. They will inspect it and issue you a VIN # and tag.

HTH

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I bought a life time tag for mine...it's a semi trailer tag...LOL
Never have to buy another one.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I have read and been told (not by LEO) that you are subject to laws of state you are in. If (like NC) a trailer tag is required then it's up to the officer that might stop you. A friend of mine was towing an untagged South Carolina trailer (no tag required) in NC and was stopped & ticketed for his non tagged trailer.
In '03 we rode our trike, pulling our non tagged Escapade, cross country and was never questioned or stopped. We have since pulled our rig through almost all states and Canada and have never been stopped or questioned. We have put over 7K miles on it in the last year and no problems.
This may be one of those gray areas :shrug:.
The federal laws say that you are subject to the laws in YOUR HOME STATE, not the state that you are in. So, if you are ticketed by a LEO for no trailer plate, and one is not required in YOUR HOME STATE, the judge will excuse the ticket.

Some states are complicated. Oregon does not require a trailer plate on a trailer under 1900 pounds total weight. But you are allowed to register on on a voluntay basis for $9. And you have a second option to plate and title one for $20 every four years. :shrug: Options are yours.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts