GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many miles is the absorbed glass mat battery good for ?

the only time mine has given any trouble so far was the time the alternator went out and the 2 times some idiot left the key in accessory position overnite in my garage :oops:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Til it dies. Reading your post, your battery has not given you any problems. Alternator once, some dummy twice. But the track record for the OEM batteries seems to be about 5 years. Usually the first signal all is not good with the battery is dropping of the radio presets when you start the bike......voltage goes too low, drops the presets. Then if you run a load test, battery will flunk.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I am not saying do as I do but here is what I did. I replaced my battery this last spring because it was over three years old. How much longer would it have lasted? Who knows for sure? I just spent the money so I could have a piece of mind that it was new and Hopefully I would not have any battery problems on the road. Is it a sure fire guarantee? NO>>>WAY>>>>>>>>> I just do not want my battery to go bad somewhere that I cannot easily access another one. That can ruin a whole trip..

When I was on the road alot pulling boats all over the country I did the same thing with my truck batteries. I let them go four years. I always had batteries in the boat that I could use if neccessary but I just wanted the piece of mind so I could worry about something else. :wink: :wink:

JMHO Ross

·
Registered
281 Posts
Battery

I just replaced my orignal battery 63,500 mi. 5yrs. 1 mon. still going strong,did not want to press my luck. 2001 1800.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Man cycldude that is funny. I sat down to post the same question. I have 72K on my 05 and was wondering if I need to replace it as well.

It is covered for the winter and the Battery tender is hooked up but I always wonder when it is time.

My dealer runs a test for me in the spring before I take that first long trip but I am doing some things and have been thinking about it.

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I ran a poll on this back in October:

65% of those that answered are still running their OEM battery
20% of those that answered replaced the batter as preventative maintenace

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... highlight=

I have a similar battery in my 1980 CB900C (WestCo AGM) that is now reaching 7 years old and still fires the 900 up right away

How long has your OEM battery lasted?

I have never needed to replace my battery.
65% [ 124 ]

I replaced my battery as preventitive maintenace. (Not due to failure)
20% [ 38 ]

Replaced my 2001 OEM Battery due to battery failure.
3% [ 6 ]

Replaced my 2002 OEM Battery due to battery failure.
4% [ 8 ]

Replaced my 2003 OEM Battery due to battery failure.
3% [ 6 ]

Replaced my 2004 OEM Battery due to battery failure.
2% [ 5 ]

Replaced my 2005 OEM Battery due to battery failure.
1% [ 2 ]

Replaced my 2006 OEM Battery due to battery failure.
0% [ 1 ]

Replaced my 2007 OEM Battery due to battery failure.
0% 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 190

·
Registered
16 Posts
how many miles is the absorbed glass mat battery good for ?
I would think it's more age than milage related. I replaced the original battery in my 2001 GW this July 2006. I'm embarrassed to say it only had 15K. I had noticed the battery tender took longer and longer to bring up to charge so at 5 years old, and leaving on a trip, I replaced it.
As far as maintaining it, I always rotated a battery tender to it every 2-3 weeks all year.
rick

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
True story:

At almost 3 years old, my OEM battery was starting to lose it's omph and wouldn't start the wing after sitting for more than a week. I ordered a new battery from Hal and was fine for about a year and then the new battery started dropping off rapidly. In the mean time, I had put the OEM battery in my lawn mower as it still had enough to start it and the mower which doesn't sit for more than a week (Texas grass grows fast). Needing to use the wing one day and it having a dead battery, I took the OEM back out of the mower, dropped it back in the wing and went on my ride. That was last spring and the wing might sit for 2-3 weeks (I have a Beemer too) but will start like it did when I got it.

Moral of the story:
If your battery starts to let you down, sentence it to some time mowing grass, I'm sure it'd rather be riding. :lol:

On the serious side; After all the boats, cars trucks, mowers, bikes..etc..., I've owned over the years, I've come to the conclusion that all batteries are not the same, even if they are of the same make and model. You get what you get. JMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts