GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've found my lovely color Yellow w/ABS but it is an 03 of course and I've found a Black Cherry 04 w/ABS

Yellow ABS 2003 is $17,490 Out The Door and I love the color,

but also 8)

Black Cherry ABS 2004 is 18,799 Out the door and I like ( not love ) the color.

So what should I do...

Does it really worth to get an 04 while the color I love is available for $1,309 lower. Which means Fog lights and a CB....

Or is there a considerable difference that i should go with an 04 which the color eventually may grow on me.

Pleeeeeaaaaase help.....
:?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You've got to go with you first instinct. I bought a vehicle once that was only acceptable, but not what I wanted, and it never became what I wanted. I don't have it anymore. The one thing I would make sure of is the '03 is not in the frame recall range, or that might be a factor in your decision. My bike is an '03, within the recall, and if I could get into an '04 for that little money, I might be tempted. Mine, too, is (safety) yellow, by the way. Love the bike, color, and everything else except the feeling that Honda got to me because they got cheap on the welding rod.

·
Registered
759 Posts
easy decision..buy the 03....I have been there and done that!!!! however, the 04 has one nice feature...really nice...lighted controls which the 03 does not have. to light the 03 would cost around $100...but...I would prefer factory lighting if I had a choice.

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
The '04 has the vented windshield and lighted bar controls.

If you buy the '03 make sure it is outside the frame recall.

Good Luck.......

G

·
0 Posts
Yep....as Duane said, as long as it's outside the recall, the '03 is the way to go.

If it was two women, one you liked and one you loved, it would be pretty clear, wouldn't it?!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nooo not necessarily the one with the bigger boobs will be the winner
:D :D :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Buy the 03, but beat the salesman up some. You should be able to beat another 12 to 15 hundred out of him. Shop around for 03s and compare prices befor you put your name on the paperwork. It's winter, the 04s are out, the 03 is no longer the latest offering.
Make the salesperson earn every cent you spend! :wink:
I left one in tears!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jim,

Certainly, I can not choose for you. But taking your situation, I would buy the 04 in a heartbeat.

You get a brand new roll out color, you get all the 04 upgrades, you are guaranteed to not have the stigma of having a (crack bike) bike with a multitude of problems. And you will be selling an 04 when you sell your bike, not an 03.

Bulldog

·
Registered
307 Posts
I was sort of in the same boat. I could have waited for an'04, but when I found out that YELLOW was not an '04 color, I found an '03 yellow and have loved it for several months now. I added a Tulsa windshield witha vent and just got the Rivco lighted controls so for me I have all I need and its as good as any 04 out there. Get what you love!!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Yes I have to agree with the dawg on this one ! And shop around for sure, I definatley feel your paying way too much for eigther one ! Have you tried the sponsors prices ? The stock lighted controls speak a lot at night ! Plus not having the worry of looking for that crack frame all of the time. Keep this in mind ? The frames of some of the bikes have been welded, but they havent been tested much. Sorry guys ! :oops: And there still might be bikes that crack out of the vin # range. There are still questions out there yet ! Black Cherry is real purrdy.........

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yep, what everybody said....get your first love.....I did, an 03 Pearl Yellow, specifically because Honda killed the color for the 04's. Mine is out side of the recall and I picked it up the end of August, so this should not be an issue...but worth checking :shock:

Unless you get what you like...or trade every year....ya have to live with it :D

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
My 03 was 16400, all state TAXES etc. non abs. I think it is a reasonable price range. Probably could cut a couple hundred if dealer was willing, but if the color is your LOVE what the hell. A happy supporting dealership could be worth a couple bucks up front.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been lurking on this board for quite some time now and reading your plea for help has finally prompted me to register so I could throw my two cents in.

I bought my '03 Pearl Yellow ABS last August for the same reason as Rick M and I'm glad I did! I bought it at Honda of Milpitas for $16,399. I got a flight from SeaTac to San Jose, dealer picked me up at the airport and I was on the road within two hours. Paid my state sales tax when I got home and still saved $2,600 over what the local dealers were willing to sell for.

If you really love yellow (as I do) don't settle for less.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I hope Honda is litening!

For those of you who are sticking by your guns on Color, I hope Honda is listening. I bought an 04 to replace my totaled 01 pearl blue. The 04 is a better bike, more nimble particularly.

HOWEVER, I miss my Pearl BLUE a lot and will probably not buy a replacement for my 04 ABS until they reintroduce the Pearl Blue or a color very close to it.

I have two close friends that have refused to buy new Wings because one wants another Yellow to replace the Yellow non ABS he sold in anticipation of getting a new ABS 04, and the other wants a Pearl Orange. In fact, the latter had his trailer stripped and ready to be painted to match his new Orange 04 ABS Wing until he found that there was not one and he bought a new pickup instead, keeping his green GL1500 until they come out with a color he wants.

I was in the tour group at the Factory Homecoming that was led by a person in the appearance quality group and he indicated that the paint color change was just changing a canister to the color needed. He also said that a group in California picked the colors and supposedly from surveys. I have ridden wings for 400,000 miles and no one at Honda ever asked me what color I prefered.

If Honda wants to sell more Wings, they should produce more Colors. And why would they make that refrigerator white instead of the pearl white they have done before? I thing the good color guys went to work somewhere else.

If you were to park all the colors of 01 bikes in on cluster, the 02s in another, the 03s in another and then the 04s, I feel that the 04 group would look like a depression year.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Jim - I see you live in California although I don't know if you're in Northern or Southern. I don't know where you got your pricing, but I agree with others you should be able to do much better on the pricing of the 04 out the door. Give Honda of Milpitas a call and tell them your serious about buying a Wing and I'm confident you will be quickly surprised by what you can get for the bike you want. Check their online pricing as it's pretty impressive (under inventory).

http://www.hondamil.com/

They also might have the Yellow 03 in stock too. Personally, either bike is great and go with your first choice.

DaleC

·
Registered
567 Posts
I sure hope yellow comes back....

because in 2009 when my warranty expires, I want to get another Pearl Yellow! :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was having the same problem. 04 titanium, black cherry or 03 yellow (which I also love). My 03 abs is in the crate at the dealers waiting for spring. Have to go with what you love.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts