GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Thats cheaper than the Garmin site, they charge about 120 for lifetime updates.

G

·
I have the Garmin 2610. Last thing I will do is invest any more money into updates or software. The GPS unit it's self is not bad. The rest of what Garmin offers sucks. IMHO.

·
Registered
677 Posts
OK, this maybe dumb, but what does NT mean? I don't have a GPS yet as you can tell. I'm not up on a lot of the letter lingo, I know lol roflmao some things like that.:lol:
What can I say, I'm behind times yet, just lucky to be able to us a computer some times.:coffee1:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i thought NT meant

Not Too current

my new zumo has the same mistakes as the 3 year old version does

there are streets in my city, that had houses sold in 2005, and the streets are not in the data base

·
Registered
273 Posts
With the Garmin maps lifetime update card, it says you get up to 4 updates a year "for the life of your GPS unit". How long is the "life of my GPS unit"? Is it as long as you own it, or a fixed number of years? Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I was looking at the Lifetime Updates yesturday and it seems to be a good idea. As far as the life of the GPS etc. lets just say if you have a Zumo and plan on keeping it for more than 2 years, the life time updates is worth the $$. Two regular updates will cost you same amount as the lifetime updates and the regular updates only happen once a year, where the lifetime is 4x a year. As far as longeviity of the unit itself, well electronics these days are pretty good imho, plus Garmin will repair them for $200.

I've had my Zumo for 2 years, and plan on keeping it for several more. It suits my needs, so, I more than likely will go the lifetime route. The price above is pretty good. :cool:

Has anyone dealt with GPSCITY? How are they to do business with??

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
Not Too current

my new zumo has the same mistakes as the 3 year old version does

there are streets in my city, that had houses sold in 2005, and the streets are not in the data base
I bought my Garmin V about five years ago and noticed right off the bat that my address and the road were in the wrong place on the maps I got with it. I called Garmin to report the mistake and was assured it would be corrected on the next update. When I got my update a year+ later I checked it. It was still wrong and a the same for a few other mistakes I found. I called Garmin again. Told the same thing. Now 5 years later and it is still wrong along with the other mistakes I found. It is not just Garmin though. They all get their maps from the same place.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
...Now 5 years later and it is still wrong along with the other mistakes I found. It is not just Garmin though. They all get their maps from the same place.
It goes farther than that. Navteq, in the case of Garmin, has to get their information from the State which gets it from the counties, or parrishes, in the US. Blame your local people for not updating the GIS information they send to the state, or the state for not incorporating it. Navteq does not go out and drive the roads, that is a local responsibility.
Also Garmin does allow you to preview the maps with MapViewer on their website before you buy. Try that and see if the improvements you are looking for are there. It will not allow previewing of POI's however.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Once you've invested in a zumo, you are pretty much committed. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
There is no guarantee that they will update the maps four times per year, just that they limit the updates to a maximum of four times per year...

Also, remember that this is for the lifetime of the GPS itself and it is not transferable to a new unit if you have to have the unit serviced. I'm sure they will transfer the map updates to a unit that is replaced under warranty, but they don't have to transfer the map update service to a repaired or replacement unit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts